December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Sooo...we're screwed?

No, unless you were expecting a full-on, historic blast. In that case, yes.

This is all very interesting. My signature says it all. I will be up at all hours of the night over the next several weeks/months. I'm sure I'll check out the 06z runs more than usual, just because.

• Like 6

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This is all very interesting. My signature says it all. I will be up at all hours of the night over the next several weeks/months. I'm sure I'll check out the 06z runs more than usual, just because.

Wow. Congrats!!!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

In his defense he's done really well and never (this year at least) has advertised anything historic specifically for us.

Thanks. Jesse will be Jesse.

• Like 1

Speaking of the PDO, November came in at a tidy 1.72.  Highest November number since the Reagan administration.  

Woah... whaaaa?   Wait a minute.    Huhhh?

I was sure someone posted about arctic winds whipping across the WA coastal region and causing SSTs to plummet and of course the PDO to fall through the floor.  

Did that not happen?    

Sorry but THAT kind of goofiness begs to be called out on a forum discussing science.  Science and obsessions are not a good mix for any of us... and its on all of us to call out the silly stuff.   Nobody has a problem calling me out when I am wrong and that is a good thing.    We need more Deweys... pure and simple.     Able to purely divorce the emotions and the science and posesses a high level of intelligence.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Congrats Andrew!!    Enjoy the next 24 hours.   Once you take them home then the fun really begins!   We had no practice though... went from no kids to twin boys.   You are a veteran already.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wow. Congratulations, Andrew. OH, by the way, check your messages in the forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All:

Let's try not to get too hung up on each and every model/ensemble run. It's okay to analyze them and discuss them, but what I'm trying to say is don't get emotionally invested either way with getting your hopes up, or equally hopes dashed with every 6z/12z/18z/00z run. When you're still 6 to 7 days away from the pattern changing offshore/upstream and 8-10 days before any potential north-northeast flow develops we shouldn't look at details because those won't be revealed for several days(By 00z runs this weekend or early next week perhaps). Instead look at the large scale pattern 500mb specifically. We now have all models showing an offshore Rex Block/Kona Low setup. 500mb anomalies look quite favorable with a strong ridging signal right where we want it at 150 160 W amplifying up through Alaska. The only thing we're really missing is a southeast US ridge, but there are hints of it developing after day 9-10. If we end up with a 500mb pattern that the 12z ECMWF/GFS Parallel shows for example it's going to get really cold. Past history shows us that when we have a block in that position it's only a waiting game as to when the cold air arrives. The question then is how cold. With that being said hell yeah I'm rooting for a massive blast with snow for everyone!

• Like 2

I guess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the December 2012 End-of-the-Mayan-Calendar 1968 redux.

He was seriously looking for some attention there, but this year he's been pretty exceptional. I think the whole coast-to-coast thing is pretty unlikely but who am I to say. At any rate, his bias is much less pronounced this year.

Just calling it as I see it...

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

He was seriously looking for some attention there, but this year he's been pretty exceptional. I think the whole coast-to-coast thing is pretty unlikely but who am I to say. At any rate, his bias is much less pronounced this year.

I agree. He has spent some serious time on his research.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Guest Winterdog
TT-SEA, on 17 Dec 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:

Woah... whaaaa?   Wait a minute.    Huhhh?

I was sure someone posted about arctic winds whipping across the WA coastal region and causing SSTs to plummet and of course the PDO to fall through the floor.  

Did that not happen?    

Sorry but THAT kind of goofiness begs to be called out on a forum discussing science.  Science and obsessions are not a good mix for any of us... and its on all of us to call out the silly stuff.   Nobody has a problem calling me out when I am wrong and that is a good thing.    We need more Deweys... pure and simple.     Able to purely divorce the emotions and the science and posesses a high level of intelligence.    :)

OMG!

No, I actually agree for the most part. Just bein' a pill. Someone's gotta.

Congrtats Andrew!  My twin daughters are now 23.  The work load for a while is exponential not just double but with family and friends helping, it makes all the difference in the world.  Getting sleep (working in shifts is key), feedings at the same time to get them to sleep at the same time so you all can sleep is also key.  In the end, its amazing.  Sleep is king!

NWS:

LONG RANGE MODELS ARE INDICATING A POSSIBLE PATTERN CHANGE BY THE
MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. HOWEVER...MODELS DIFFER ON THE POSITIONING OF A
HIGH OVER KONA LOW PATTERN OVER THE PACIFIC WHICH WILL DETERMINE THE
STRENGTH OF NLY FLOW OVER WRN WA. THE 12/18Z GFS IS FURTHER E WITH
THE LOW AND DUMPS MOST THE COLD AIR INTO THE ROCKIES. COLDER AIR
WOULD ARRIVE ACROSS WRN WA IF THE ECMWF SOLUTION VERIFIED WITH THE
LOW FURTHER W. EITHER WAY...A TRANSITION TO COOLER TEMPERATURES IS
LIKELY ENOUGH TO TREND HIGH/LOW TEMPS DOWNWARD A BIT FOR WEDNESDAY.
MERCER

Little ones for sure, Abbi anyway.  On time?  Twins tend to come a little early and run a little smaller.  Gosh, that brings back memories.  Wow.  Better than puppy breath any day.  Invest in toilet paper stock now.  Amazing how usage went up.  I didn't see the inside of a bathroom for years.  The deck became my friend.  Oh, did I mention I had two other daughters as well?  Four daughters and a wife, I had two and a half baths and still saw very little "time" in the bathroom.