December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Very impressive gradients through southern BC and northern WA on this run. Bellingham could get blasted with some strong winds.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like 850s drop to about -10 over the East Puget Sound lowlands. It looks like this will qualify as an Arctic outbreak.

Another thing to bear in mind is it's obvious the GFS has picked on something new on this run, since the trough digs a bit further west. Still time for it to improve even more.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Had to update map... grabbed 12 hour precip on 12Z run.  

Still not bad.

That's an impressive improvement. It will be interesting to see if the increase in moisture translates to the WRF.

I still think this has potential to be similar to 11/29.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

HR 60 Op It could just be me, but appears block is tilting more into Yukon

The block tilting toward Yukon will spill more cold air just off shore and give some low development. The various models pick up on this type of feature but typically mishandle the amount of development that can take place.

• Like 3

Did you mean 0z?

I see it is a hair further west. Any little difference could be a big deal. At first I thought the chances were slim for snow with the initial cold shot, but now it appears there is a chance.

Very small differences in the over water trajectory will impact low development and the strength of any arctic front in the interior.  No one should hold out hope...no mater what the models look like, until the event is nearly underway. 

Won't take much to shut down Seattle. I really want Monday off work.  :D

Well, I don't know about shutting Seattle down with an inch - unless people decide to start driving in normal Seattle fashion.  But then you can do that with a light drizzle around here.

• Like 1

Uh oh ....

Certainly a plausible solution as the ridge tries to retrograde and pinch off.  The parallel run does not do this: http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfsp&region=namer&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2014122700&fh=120but seems to lose some southward punch of the short wave...and that would track energy eastward along the Canadian border and keep things mild and onshore in the PNW.

.. I'd say, not all that likely, with the more over-all propensity of cold movement through 'til then.

As I see things, slowing east while still being in general regress more northward until about then. Leastwise the bite more SW with looking at cold's more over-all recession. While where looking at the the main gut of more primary cold air mass (depicted.) still north, it's likely not moving that far east at least quite so soon.

---

the WRF does show basin floor accumulations

Total snow from now until Monday afternoon per 00Z WRF... this maps seems to actually know where the mountains are located!

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/snow72.72.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think for Seattle this one has the possibility of failing to produce snow and also failing to deliver a high below freezing given the sunshine this week.    

Seriously doubting any meaningful second shot.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think for Seattle this one has the possibility of failing to produce snow and also failing to deliver a high below freezing given the sunshine this week.    

Between this post and your avatar, this was just a double dose of sadness!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Well, last time you wrote off the models turning cold, things improved within 12 hours. Thanks
  • Like 1