December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Strongest there since 74mph in 1995.

Did it really gust to 74mph in 1995? NWS record report from today is saying the 67mph gust today was highest since March 26th 1971.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I noticed the 12z ensemble shows a minus AO developing with sagging heights over the Eastern US. Your plan appears to be on target.

Thanks. My only worry now is getting the PV to split after New Years..if that occurs, you're golden. If not, long story short, most of the cold will probably slide east.

Did it really gust to 74mph in 1995? NWS record report from today is saying the 67mph gust today was highest since March 26th 1971.

Officially the 5 second gust in 1995 was 62mph, but instant gusts were 74mph.

http://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/December1995.html

Today the instant gusts were 67mph, so the 1995 storm was safely a bit stronger there.

• Like 1

I believe that 74mph was measured differently... I think the NWS considers it 62mph.

Agreed. Back then they used a 3 second average for peak gusts. Now I believe it is 5 seconds.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Officially the 5 second gust in 1995 was 62mph, but instant gusts were 74mph.

http://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/December1995.html

Today the instant gusts were 67mph, so the 1995 storm was safely a bit stronger there.

Got it, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

The Mesonet only shows a peak of 59 for PDX.  What site do you guys use that shows more frequent updates?  No doubt it is fun watching this on the Mesonet map.  Right now you can see how the strong winds are begin deflected mostly right up Puget Sound and to the West side of the Sound.  The East Puget Sound lowlands have enough easterly winds to keep the south winds pushed west of here.  I've always wondered why this area usually escapes high winds in these cases.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Agreed. Back then they used a 3 second average for peak gusts. Now I believe it is 5 seconds.

That is so lame.  It reminds of when they deballed the wind chill calculation.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Does The Dalles count as a west side station, though? How cold did PDX get?

We're only talking about west side stations? When did that start? We're talking about intrusions of arctic air into the PNW. Mid-November 2014 was one.

PDX was 32 with east winds and a wintery mix the afternoon of 11/13. Basically unprecedented for that early.

There were also widespread teens westside.

You can easily track the low with the coastal radar.

Clearly its well offshore and moving north.   The models runs like the Canadian showing it sliding up the west side of the Puget Sound were definitely wrong.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Thanks. My only worry now is getting the PV to split after New Years..if that occurs, you're golden. If not, long story short, most of the cold will probably slide east.

What are the odds in your opinion?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Dalles hit -12c. That was legit arctic air. 

It's like you guys up north forget the Gorge exists. The Fraser isn't the only arctic air source for the west side.

I'm talking specifically about Seattle. No doubt that was legit arctic air for the Gorge.

I also wouldn't consider an event arctic for Seattle if Chilliwak, BC saw 850's drop to -12 if Seattle didn't get below -6.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The Mesonet only shows a peak of 59 for PDX.  What site do you guys use that shows more frequent updates?  No doubt it is fun watching this on the Mesonet map.  Right now you can see how the strong winds are begin deflected mostly right up Puget Sound and to the West side of the Sound.  The East Puget Sound lowlands have enough easterly winds to keep the south winds pushed west of here.  I've always wondered why this area usually escapes high winds in these cases.

I see only a high gust of 59 as well.

NWS has been posting updates on Twitter.

Events like these can bring the worst out of some of us and it isn't pleasant,

That is such a good point.  It's kind of a mystery why that is when big events are what weather forums live for.  The only reason I'm a bit down on windstorms is because of the trees in my yard.  I must admit I'm kind of excited about it now...especially considering MBY looks like it will get off easy.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We're only talking about west side stations? When did that start? We're talking about intrusions of arctic air into the PNW. Mid-November 2014 was one.

PDX was 32 with east winds and a wintery mix the afternoon of 11/13. Basically unprecedented for that early.

There were also widespread teens westside.

It's not a big deal to me, but I know some people on here don't consider it a true Arctic outbreak for the west side (where most here reside, obviously) unless 850s get to -8C or below.

A forum for the end of the world.

It's not a big deal to me, but I know some people on here don't consider it a true Arctic outbreak for the west side (where most here reside, obviously) unless 850s get to -8C or below.

I don't consider it a true arctic outbreak unless there is snow in my yard, otherwise it is just a cold snap.

• Like 1

It was an impressive cold event for mid-November, regionally. With an arctic source and some very cold air (850s in the -10 to -13c range) banked up against the east slopes of the Cascades.

Widespread 850s below -8c on the west side is a tall order for that early.

It was an impressive cold event for mid-November, regionally. With an arctic source and some very cold air (850s in the -10 to -13c range) banked up against the east slopes of the Cascades.

Widespread 850s below -8c on the west side is a tall order for that early.

I agree. And Nov 1955 was probably the only time in airport records we've seen that happen that early.

A forum for the end of the world.

I agree. And Nov 1955 was probably the only time in airport records we've seen that happen that early.

Yeah, I guess it's best to grade the event mid-last month on a curve since it was so early. It was about as arctic as you can get pre-11/15, aside from 1955.

Anyway, didn't mean to take things on a tangent there. Back to the windstorm posts.

What are the odds in your opinion?

I'd say 75% chance it happens in January. That said, the PV is going to fight it hard as it's still vertically stacked/barotropic...

I'd say 75% chance it happens in January. That said, the PV is going to fight it hard as it's still vertically stacked/barotropic...

The hyperbole department is officially downgrading the Jaws music to the love theme from Endless Summer.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Interesting to see the 4PM pressure analysis have the low at 974mb. The MM5-NAM initialized it at 977 and the 12z WRF had it at 977 as well.

Looks to be holding together a bit better than progged, which is certainly a bias that the models seem to often succumb to.

1377431_692839850823660_3209652355208987

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"