2/4-5 Potential Wound-up Low

hlcater

The front just came through here just as the heavy snow is moving back in.  The snow it suddenly blowing in from the west.  It's going to get nasty over the next two hours.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Conditions are going downhill quickly here... heavy snow with strong west wind, snow getting a bit drier.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Like the sound of slower eastward progression

National Weather Service Duluth MN
1159 AM CST Thu Feb 4 2021

.UPDATE...
Issued at 1159 AM CST Thu Feb 4 2021

Have had to make some headline adjustments this morning as
snowfall reports have been coming in. Hayward called in around 11
with 5.5 inches, so we have upgraded Sawyer county, as well as
Ashland and Bayfield to a warning for these snowfall amounts.
Earlier this morning I also upgraded Iron county and extended it
until 6 pm Friday, so I used the same time range for Ashland and
Bayfield as well. Otherwise, have had to increase the snowfall
forecast with the bands of heavier snow that have been developing
over the forecast area. Expect a slower eastward progression based
on the latest CAMs, which also justifies the increase in snowfall
amounts.

Measured just over 3 inches in Albia with light snow and major blowing and drifting continuing. Its bad in town, wouldn't want to be on any roads right now. Hwy 63 between New Sharon and Oskaloosa is now closed. Ditches are now completely full so anymore snow/wind combo storms are going to get really tough to deal with around here.

• Like 1

Major pileup on I-80 E of DSM. The pics I saw were horrible. Maybe someone can post a Twitter feed or something but it looked really bad.

• Sad 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

1 minute ago, westMJim said:

Here in west Michigan we are now in a WSW for the 2 counties next to Lake Michigan.

Here is some information on Lake effect and how it forms.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/lake_snow_parameter

UPDATE     ISSUED AT 137 PM EST THU FEB 4 2021     THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS UPGRADED TO A WINTER STORM WARNING   FOR OTTAWA, KENT, AND ALLEGAN COUNTIES. THIS IS BASED ON THE   EASTWARD EXPANSION OF HIGHER FORECAST SNOWFALL TOTALS. STRONG   WEST-SOUTHWEST FLOW SHOULD BRING HEAVIER LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS   WELL INLAND AND TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BE VERY POOR IN HEAVY   FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

• Excited 1

8 minutes ago, westMJim said:

UPDATE     ISSUED AT 137 PM EST THU FEB 4 2021     THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS UPGRADED TO A WINTER STORM WARNING   FOR OTTAWA, KENT, AND ALLEGAN COUNTIES. THIS IS BASED ON THE   EASTWARD EXPANSION OF HIGHER FORECAST SNOWFALL TOTALS. STRONG   WEST-SOUTHWEST FLOW SHOULD BRING HEAVIER LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS   WELL INLAND AND TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BE VERY POOR IN HEAVY   FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH ZERO VISIBILITY AT TIMES.

Called it, not sure what they were waiting for.  I don't think a WWA will do it justice tomorrow around GR and points west.  People will be shocked since we haven't really since this type of weather in 2 years.  

• Like 2

I just measured 5", more than I expected.  I thought it might be difficult to measure, but I took several measurements on the patio, all 5", then several on the snow board up on top of the snow in the middle of the yard, also all 5".  That's 3" over the last two hours.

The final heavy band is moving out of Cedar Rapids.  The rest should be lighter.  Dubuque is just about to get into the first real heavy defo band.

This has been two different storms... one before the front and one after.  It's real nasty out there.

• Like 7

Coming down like rain would fall - we seem to have missed - as much as I’d like more than what we will end up getting, it’s nice to get it during the daylight hours. I’m making a big pot of chili which seems appropriate with the snow and coming cold. This is winter.

• Like 4