February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Nobody takes more pics riding things around than Randy.

I only have 25,602 pics on my phone...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Largest flakes I ever saw was in Lake Stevens when I lived there.  It was probably 31 degrees and I swear some of them were the size of dollar bills.

The heavy wet snow that fell on that crazy day about month and half ago were about quarter sized here.  Those were the largest flakes I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The heavy wet snow that fell on that crazy day about month and half ago were about quarter sized here.  Those were the largest flakes I've seen. 

Thanksgiving in 2005-6...can't remember which one it was.  Just an amazing event that lasted a couple days.  Miss it.

18 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Our wet snow is a lot wetter than yours out East. In 2007-08 I got 19" total and not a flake of it fell while the temperature was below 32 degrees. 

You sure about that? 😉 A good portion of our seasonal snow falls above freezing too. We can get 6-8” chowder bombs with temperatures hovering at 36-37°F.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You sure about that? 😉 A good portion of our seasonal snow falls above freezing too. We can get 6-8” chowder bombs at 36-37°F.

All I know is much of the snow I got that Winter wouldn't have blown around in a hurricane. A lot of it was like rubber cement.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

All I know is much of the snow I got that Winter wouldn't have blown around in a hurricane. A lot of it was like rubber cement.

Takes more wind for sure but it still blows around.

January 2011 was 36°F mashed potato slop here, and even that stuff blew around like crazy once winds got strong enough. Doesn’t need to be a hurricane lol.

9 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

Alright. I’ve had my Friday night gin and tonics, and am pretty excited. What is everyone’s predictions on tonight’s runs? 

My feeling is that this is going to trend colder and snowier.   After today's model trends... I am a believer.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 4
  • scream 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Trusting nothing yet, even though this is the closest we’ve been to something decent.

At least it looks like it might get windy and cold at the very least. How cold and if there’s snow is yet to be decided ofc.

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, iFred said:

I know the moment that I hop onboard with this, it will be cold rain and a slow march into spring. So I wont. Winter is still canceled.

Reverse psychology.

Its how I deal with Seahawks games! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We know it's cold biased, but the 00z NAM is only out through 4AM Tuesday and 850's get this cold:

BLI: -13.3

SEA: -11

PDX: -9

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I’d assume this type of cold wave would be considered a backdoor blast, right? Times like these you gotta love the Gorge.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

We know it's cold biased, but the 00z NAM is only out through 4AM Tuesday and 850's get this cold:

BLI: -13.3

SEA: -11

PDX: -9

It also brings the trough a day earlier than the Euro. Still good to see, the more models on board the better.

• Like 2

Just now, iFred said:

Trade Russell and sell the team to a city that actually cares about football, like San Antonio!

Or Oklahoma City! 

• Angry 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, RentonHillTC said:

How cold does it need to be to kill all the moles in my yard? theyve absolutely destroyed it and negated about 150 hours worth of work this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 3

I am not yet onboard.  I love what the models are showing but I think tonight’s models will back off some.  Like Matt said, it’s a messy setup that will likely change.  I will get onboard Sunday if the models are still looking good

• Like 1

00z GFS slightly stronger with the NPAC ridge at initialization. Inflection point coming up in 18hrs. Jaws music!

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

K I’ll be back later, gonna assume all the models have death ridges and windless inversions for now 

• Windy 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

35 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

Alright. I’ve had my Friday night gin and tonics, and am pretty excited. What is everyone’s predictions on tonight’s runs? 

I'm predicting this to be an exciting night. I'm predicting tonight is the night the model runs start showing a big snowstorm within the next week, hopefully somewhere along the lines of a big regional event. LET'S GO COLD AND SNOW!!! 🙏🌨☃️🥶

• Snow 2