February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

8 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

So the arctic air rushes through the gorge and meets the approaching precip right over PDX, impressive frontogenesis and explosive thundersnow confirmed? 

There certainly could be some gnarly frontal lifting on the NE side of the low if that energy phases right with the trough axis. Probably one reason we're seeing so many runs showing a pocket of 12"+ in a fairly short period of time for someone.

• Like 2

Just now, Omegaraptor said:

Ew, dry Arctic blasts are the absolute worst.

I'd rather have 50 degree drizzle.

I guess it depends on where you live. Up here dry blasts of this nature seem relatively common. It usually means staring at brown grass and higher heating bills; the wind in outflow areas makes it even worse. They typically don't even produce impressively low temperatures; if this remains dry and sunny we might get a sub-freezing day but nothing like the 26F/21F day we had last January. It must be terrible in drier parts of the east. I think if it was a once in a 10 year event like parts of Oregon then it might feel more special.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Bueryan said:

We made it through 2019 without the hummingbird feeder freezing, but it might be a different story this year.

20190209_112211.jpg

You have hummingbirds there in the winter?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Anyone have the balls to make their forecast prior to the Euro marching out?

The GFS is all I need!  And this chair.  And this remote control.  And this paddle ball game.

I will see anywhere from a mix to 18.3" of snow by Monday night, low max of 35 and low low of 24.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

You have hummingbirds there in the winter?

Yup.  I even have a heater for my feeder.  Just got it this year, in the past I would wrap it with Christmas lights and bubble wrap.  They have been draining that sucker today.  We have 2-3 resident hummingbirds here at my house, and they yell at me if the feeder gets low on nectar.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

FOR THE LOVE THAT IS SNOWY PLEASE START SAVING IMAGES FOR THE “HOLY ” RUNS.

94951BDE-71DE-4BAC-A6D0-174604E4B514.jpeg

I've been saving every image since your first announcement last Fall. Do I get a gold star?

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

22 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Lol, I awoke to the news of all this snow at Seatac ripped open the curtains and nothing.  Wanted to throw Federal way in the toilet and flush that day! 

Same here just north of downtown seattle.  It was a crazy 1-2mile swath of up to 6” and then nothing either direction.  There were some aerial photos showed how crazy it looked. 

• Sad 1