February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sunday is warmer on this run... as everything is moving faster.   Upper 30s in Seattle that day... but then the flow switches to offshore again ahead of next system which dumps more snow on Sunday night.   That is a true transition event though.   By Monday it shows strong south winds through the entire Sound and temps into the 40s.

Still... Seattle will be basically shut down from Thursday-Monday.  Pretty incredible.  This might be more memorable for the immediate Seattle area than 2019.

If this happens as shown there will be 3 feet again around the canal. Just insane and the same day almost!

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

I was thinking the same thing. Down here, we go our snow in spurts. This would be all at once

I figured this snow event would be done by early next week even a few days ago...which is honestly fine don’t want it going on forever still got to work. Would still be a pretty epic stretch for western WA Thursday-Sunday. Generally our best events only last a couple or a few days...February 2019 was a rare long term event. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

4 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Going to get my gas and perhaps a nice bike ride through Point Defiance on this lovely day 

Could be a pretty epic weekend coming here in the south sound! 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

The Canadians think everything will hit them. It could show a storm hitting LA and they would say, "it's trending north!!!!!!Be prepared!!!!!" lol

We have a mole. 😂. Little chance that first system does much of anything north of Bellingham 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Be fun to forecast this based on the Euro alone and, assuming no more warming trends, know that the low being 50-100 miles off busts you bad one way or the other and makes you look like an ******* to the whole city

Imagine how boring (and accurate) it would be to look at two model runs per day.  Life without the NAMGEMRPMGFSPARAGFSPUKEMETNAVGEMHRRRRRRRR is not worth living.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

Looks like last bit of snow falls Sunday night. 

Here's 4PM Sunday - 4AM Monday as well as Kuchera total snowfall ending at that same time.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3390400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-3390400.png

Honestly, that is about as good as a run can get. Nobody from Portland up to the BC coast well north of Vancouver should be disappointed if that verifies, and it would be truly epic for the South Sound. Frosty gets something in return for waiting 700+ days.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

We have a mole. 😂. Little chance that first system does much of anything north of Bellingham 

I'm thinking even if the precipitation shield extends towards the duncan area as I think it might, it will not be heavy enough to overcome the dry air. 

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Imagine how boring (and accurate) it would be to look at two model runs for per day.  Life without the NAMGEMRPMGFSPARAGFSPUKEMETNAVGEMHRRRRRRRR is not worth living.

hey I need to spend the ENTIRE day looking at model runs so I can tell my friends that between 0-11" of snow is possible sometime between Thu-Sun

• Like 1
  • lol 2

So looks like Portland could be in for quite a messy system.

• Popcorn 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Just gonna make up for 2 months of poor winter in one go. Kinda insane this is very reminiscent of 2019.

Literally feels like we just went back to 2019. Could end up with pretty similar results....just not quite as spread out over 10 days it all happens in like 4 days instead. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1) Here is the arctic airmass currently in the Fraser Plateau of BC compared to the ones @ the onset of the Jan 2020 and Feb 2019 cold spells. The 2019 and 2020 graphics were the day of the first event. Case in point, arctic air is building sooner and deeper this go around. #wawx
2) By sooner, I mean in relation to the "event." Keep in mind however that each one of these events was different and will not play out exactly the same. I am optimistic though seeing the deeper cold air begin to pool against the southern mountains of BC at this point in the game

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

I'm thinking even if the precipitation shield extends towards the duncan area as I think it might, it will not be heavy enough to overcome the dry air. 

I like an inch or two for Victoria with that first system at this point.  Also be watching for surface low development off Vancouver island once that sub -10C 850mb air starts streaming out over the ocean. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

I like an inch or two for Victoria with that first system at this point.  Also be watching for surface low development off Vancouver island once that sub -10C 850mb air starts streaming out over the ocean. 

Yea they tend pop up around neah bay

5 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

hey I need to spend the ENTIRE day looking at model runs so I can tell my friends that between 0-11" of snow is possible sometime between Thu-Sun

Tossing out the UKMET?  Shrewd, veteran move...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, SalemDuck said:

Euro has already begun underestimating the arctic air. Here's the last three runs at what was initialization (4am) this morning.
Today
1612872000-brx4t9El12o.png

Last night's euro
1612872000-SjNY1ABttrI.png
Yesterday's 12z
1612872000-QwREsgVJq8k.png

Wouldn't that shove the snowstorms a bit more south?

8 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:
1) Here is the arctic airmass currently in the Fraser Plateau of BC compared to the ones @ the onset of the Jan 2020 and Feb 2019 cold spells. The 2019 and 2020 graphics were the day of the first event. Case in point, arctic air is building sooner and deeper this go around. #wawx
2) By sooner, I mean in relation to the "event." Keep in mind however that each one of these events was different and will not play out exactly the same. I am optimistic though seeing the deeper cold air begin to pool against the southern mountains of BC at this point in the game

-37F at Clinton this morning. That’s a little milder than last January but a touch colder than Feb 2019.  We have a cabin up in that area and hit -40 last January

• scream 1

I'm still banking on a January 1998 type event

• Angry 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s wait and see at this point whether portland gets snow, ice, or sleet. Or just plain rain!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife