February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

2 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

That dude is lip syncing 100% on Super Bowl and wow that music is HORRIBLE. Who listens to this lmao.... Lip syncing doesn't help the EURO run at all.

A lot of ppl listen to The Weeknd!!!

• lol 1

C-Zone headed south now.  Seems like ice pellets or graupel could happen with this.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

We've already made a 24 hour two state jump!

You're not wrong. With the pv lobe becoming a whimper now elongating to the north the warm air is moving further and further north. We need a miracle on 00z runs tonight. OR IF by some rare chance the GFS/GEFS is leadng the way, then we're good to go we'd see the EURO move big time towards the GFS. I doubt it.

• Like 1

The truth of the matter right now is we just don't know how this thing is going to play out.  You can see on the EPS how incredibly close of a call it is whether the PV lobe wants to keep digging south or whether it breaks out over the ocean.  there's a point there that is very uncertain.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z EPS control run is downright ugly for Saturday morning...

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-nw-t850_anom_stream-3239200.png

Good grief. Looks nothing like any of the other guidance.

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The truth of the mater right now is we just don't know how this thing is going to play out.  You can see on the EPS how incredibly close of a call it is whether the PV lobe wants to keep digging south or whether it breaks out over the ocean.  there's a point there that is very uncertain.

I like maters.

2 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

You're not wrong. With the pv lobe becoming a whimper now elongating to the north the warm air is moving further and further north. We need a miracle on 00z runs tonight. OR IF by some rare chance the GFS/GEFS is leadng the way, then we're good to go we'd see the EURO move big time towards the GFS. I doubt it.

Don't forgot the UKMET!

We'll see. Maybe the Euro is just struggling with the PV right now. And If I remember, it was a bad run 00z Friday right? Everyone was down until it bounced back Saturday morning. Lets see what happens. 

195572.png?1673757432

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It is always a bad idea to bet against Team 50˚F Rain.

It's probably going to be fine.  Nothing is anywhere near decided.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Good grief. Looks nothing like any of the other guidance.

I think the ECMWF models wanting to dig that thing westward so easily looks pretty suspect.  I clearly remember a few days ago it was just the opposite.  The ECMWF wanted to progress the base of the block inland which ruined the pattern also.  The ECMWF has not been great lately.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Still lots of snow and freezing high temps for SEA on the 18z EPS according to the meteograms.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I think the ECMWF models wanting to dig that thing westward so easily looks pretty suspect.  I clearly remember a few days ago it was just the opposite.  The ECMWF wanted to progress the base of the block inland which ruined the pattern also.  The ECMWF has not been great lately.

That’s a pretty climatologically favored outcome though. Without a vigorous NE driver, ie a significant Pacific block,  PV either slips east or has a tendency to either hang up or become cyclogenic. Tons of examples of that progression, while there are very few of these uber-suppressed, stable setups.  The bullseye will quite likely be SW BC.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Angry 1
  • Rain 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think the GOA ridge weakness it the biggest problem and none of the models are showing a particularly strong ridge to the west. This looks like a PV driven trough and those are notoriously unstable.

• Like 3

I would sure like to know why everyone thinks the ECMWF is right when it's the only model handling the PV lobe in that way.  It was wrong just a few days ago in the way it handled the base of the block while the GFS held firm and the ECMWF caved to the GFS.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I would sure like to know why everyone thinks the ECMWF is right when it's the only model handling the PV lobe in that way.  It was wrong just a few days ago in the way it handled the base of the block while the GFS held firm and the ECMWF caved to the GFS.

Because when the Euro does this, it's just about always right. I've been watching this happen several times in the past few years. You really need to quit getting so worked up over people's opinions 

• Like 3
  • Rain 1
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

I think the GOA ridge weakness it the biggest problem and none of the models are showing a particularly strong ridge to the west. This looks like a PV driven trough and those are notoriously unstable.

We'll just have to wait and see.  At any rate things still look fine for many of us on here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, umadbro said:

Because when the Euro does this, it's just about always right. I've been watching this happen several times in the past few years. You really need to quit getting so worked up over people's opinions 

It was wrong just recently as I pointed out and it caved to the GFS on a very important issue.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Omegaraptor said:

Mossman only 2 miles within the screw zone. Nice

Seriously, though, I hope this turns out good for everyone. But it’s just weather, and I am not going to let it ruin my life it it busts… and it could quite easily bust for me, too.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

74% of 18z EPS members show 2+ inches in Seattle by Saturday morning. 44% show 6+ inches. Honestly at this point I'll take those odds. 

Here's KPAE and KBLI too. 

ecmwf-ensemble-KPAE-indiv_snow-2720800.png

ecmwf-ensemble-KBLI-indiv_snow-2720800.png

I’d be more than satisfied with that outcome but it would sure be easier to buy into if the trend wasn’t moving in the wrong direction.

The ECMWF is the overall better performing model than the GFS independent of the few situations where the GFS might have performed better.

1 minute ago, MV_snow said:

So why do the WA posters hate the 18z euro? I understand why OR posters do, but it still gives Seattle at least a half foot.

We don't hate it but it is very close. Any further north and we'll easily be in the warm/rain sector of a Pacific storm.

• Like 2