The Weather Forums

February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just experienced the craziest day of my life. Normal, routine doctor's visit quickly spiraled into a seven hour stay in the ER for a MRI scan to check for malignant tumors or multiple sclerosis. Tha

Downvote this post if you want snow.

Good morning,  As you know, back in late December I decided to end my jovial "ranting" here among you soulless bastard's to focus on more personal matters.  Well despite my better judgement

Posted Images

Anyone have the balls to make their forecast prior to the Euro marching out?

The GFS is all I need!  And this chair.  And this remote control.  And this paddle ball game.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 2
  • Troll 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Omegaraptor said:

Ew, dry Arctic blasts are the absolute worst.

I'd rather have 50 degree drizzle.

I guess it depends on where you live. Up here dry blasts of this nature seem relatively common. It usually means staring at brown grass and higher heating bills; the wind in outflow areas makes it even worse. They typically don't even produce impressively low temperatures; if this remains dry and sunny we might get a sub-freezing day but nothing like the 26F/21F day we had last January. It must be terrible in drier parts of the east. I think if it was a once in a 10 year event like parts of Oregon then it might feel more special.

• Weenie 1
3 minutes ago, Bueryan said:

We made it through 2019 without the hummingbird feeder freezing, but it might be a different story this year.

20190209_112211.jpg

You have hummingbirds there in the winter?

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Anyone have the balls to make their forecast prior to the Euro marching out?

The GFS is all I need!  And this chair.  And this remote control.  And this paddle ball game.

I will see anywhere from a mix to 18.3" of snow by Monday night, low max of 35 and low low of 24.

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

I will see anywhere from a mix to 18.3" of snow by Monday night, low max of 35 and low low of 24.

No one cares about the coast but meth heads and other meth heads.

• Downvote 1
  • Troll 2

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup.  I even have a heater for my feeder.  Just got it this year, in the past I would wrap it with Christmas lights and bubble wrap.  They have been draining that sucker today.  We have 2-3 resident hummingbirds here at my house, and they yell at me if the feeder gets low on nectar.

• Like 4
Just now, iFred said:

FOR THE LOVE THAT IS SNOWY PLEASE START SAVING IMAGES FOR THE “HOLY ” RUNS.

94951BDE-71DE-4BAC-A6D0-174604E4B514.jpeg

Someone better snag the GEM from a couple days ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wxmet said:

Woah

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_18.png

This is pretty much on its own though. Euro and GFS both have that 2nd low move SE. Of course GFS makes it rocket out of here and hit basically no one. 

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

I've been saving every image since your first announcement last Fall. Do I get a gold star?

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
22 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Lol, I awoke to the news of all this snow at Seatac ripped open the curtains and nothing.  Wanted to throw Federal way in the toilet and flush that day! 

Same here just north of downtown seattle.  It was a crazy 1-2mile swath of up to 6” and then nothing either direction.  There were some aerial photos showed how crazy it looked. 

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, iFred said:

Guilty. Sorry iFred and future Randy who's reading this in 3 years while we all have doubts about an impending arctic blast. I've gotten better with uploading but will occasionally still do a copy/paste if I'm going rapid fire. 

I promise if it's a "HOLY SH*T" frame I will upload it so we can be reminded of it in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

Pretty good sign when both the European and GFS Ensemble Mean is showing over 6" for both PDX and SEA inside day 5.

• Like 6

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Anna’s Hummingbirds are year-round residents on the West Coast. Their range has expanded hundreds of miles northwards in response to feeding.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Pretty good sign when both the European and GFS Ensemble Mean is showing over 6" for both PDX and SEA inside day 5.

Trying to remember if that happened last year. Don't think it did since the Euro was accurately stingy. Pretty certain it did with 2/9/2019.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Anna’s Hummingbirds are year-round residents on the West Coast. Their range has expanded hundreds of miles northwards in response to feeding.

They also breed up here and all the way up the BC coast so it's pretty much "home" for them. Even Vancouver BC adopted the Anna's Hummingbirds as their official bird. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Same here just north of downtown seattle.  It was a crazy 1-2mile swath of up to 6” and then nothing either direction.  There were some aerial photos showed how crazy it looked. 

I do remember that photo!  I remember trying to play mind games thinking it’s wet sloppy snow to make myself feel better.....it didn’t work 

Just now, bainbridgekid said:

Second straight UK run to show a crippling snowstorm for Puget Sound.

sn10_acc.us_state_wa (7).png

With temps in the 20s, pretty sure that would be higher than a 10 to 1 ratio. Snow totals would be higher if that verified

sfct.us_state_wa (20).png

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

Nice write up about the upcoming potential. Leans a little heavily on relying solely on the ECMWF but still a nice layout of it all. 

Plus he's going relatively all in so that's always fun to read. 

https://theconvergencezone.com/2021/02/08/how-much-is-it-going-to-snow-in-the-pnw-lowlands-this-week/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 5

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic