Arctic cold/LES

whatitdo

the air temp of -30 the other night I believe is the coldest. Followed by the -27's and -24. I believe I had -24 a few years ago in the Madison area. Actually used to -10 and doesn't feel that bad. Had snowmobile club party yesterday and hanging out around a bonfire at -8 was just sureal. The trails hold up great in the cold, but getting worked over with the amount of sleds out. Need a storm as some warmer air returns hopefully. Hands down the longest cold and coldest cold snap. I have ever been apart of.

• Like 4
  • scream 1

High for KDSM for 2/14 will be -4F. That was in the early morning. Between 3:30 am and 5:30am temp crashed to -10F in CLOUDS. Serious CAA.  The day high was -7F.

The record min/max -- before today,  4F in 1936.

That's smashing a record.

• Like 6

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Had a midnight high of zero, but daytime high was -6. Pretty brutal with a moderate breeze. Tomorrow's high should be -4/-5. Even then it'll be the coldest high since at least 96. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Just now, snowstorm83 said:

Had a midnight high of zero, but daytime high was -6. Pretty brutal with a moderate breeze. Tomorrow's high should be -4/-5. Even then it'll be the coldest high since at least 96. 

I’ve been below zero since last night at 645p. Wonder how many hours is a row we’ll be below zero?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I’ve been below zero since last night at 645p. Wonder how many hours is a row we’ll be below zero?

Could be an 80 hr stretch if Tuesday afternoon doesn't dip above. Euro is -8 for tomorrow and -4 for Tuesday. GFS is -7 tomm but 0 Tues in Lincoln. KLNK is -17.3 for the month and we haven't even bottomed out yet! It could replace 1899 for #2 coldest Feb in Lincoln, really depends on how mild the last week of the month gets. 1936 is basically untouchable lol. 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Now that we're closer to the "event" I would also say it's basically a lock that LNK get it's first -20 reading since 1996 on Mon night. If winds are calmer than expected, something in -25 to -29 range wouldn't be out of the question for a goofy reading (probably a few degrees warmer for the rest of the city) 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

-29F Gordon,NE -- East of Chadron.

Now -32. Just insane cold high pressure sitting over us. My weather station is at -16.1 and dropping around a degree per hour. Might bottom out around -20 by day break. I stepped outside and it's mostly clear and man does it burn the lungs to breath!!!

• Like 5

More records set.

US National Weather Service Kansas City Missouri
8 minutes ago

Climate-wise, records are falling all over the place. Yesterday (Valentine's Day, 2/14) KC set two new records and we've already broken the low temperature record for today (2/15, Washington's Birthday***)

The records that have fallen:
1. The high at KC was 4° F, which broke the low maximum record of 7° F set in 1936.
2. The low temp for KC was -6° F, which broke the previous record of -4° F, also in 1936. ...

See More
  • Like 2

I'm working from home and just spoke to a gal I work with here in Omaha, and she said she talked to our power company OPPD who told her there would be rolling 1 hour blackouts here in town today. Not sure if she understood them correctly to mean everyone would be having their power shut off for an hour at some point or if it's going to be as needed yet.

• Like 2