Arctic cold/LES

whatitdo

First time I can remember this happening around here.

Posted at 12:44 PM, Feb 15, 2021

and last updated 1:17 PM, Feb 15, 2021

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Controlled power outages across Kansas City are possible as electricity demand has exceeded power generation capacity.

For Evergy customers, starting at 12:15 p.m. Monday, the utility is turning off electricity to blocks of customers for 30 to 60 minutes.

Independence Power and Light customers will also experience similar outages in the 20- to 30-minute range.

• Like 2
  • scream 2

Official high at KLNK was -4 today. Two days this month were offically right at 0, so this is the first solidly sub zero high since Feb 1996. 96 was -4 as well, so you have to go back to Dec 89 for a colder high. Very impressive cold snap when we're comparing it to those two episodes. Looks like most stations around the city are already crashing to the -8 to -10 range. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

KDSM has been below zero for 54+ consecutive  hours (through 6pm). I think the record is over 100 in 1996, that's not going to happen Todays high was -3F which broke the -2F set in 1936. Back to back min/max records.

Thus far the avg temp for FEB at KDSM is 6.6F - nearly 19F below normal. This goes through today-- the 15th.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

No school again for most of Nebraska on Tuesday. Our superintendent said it was tough to get buildings warm today after a 6 hour power outage.  Also, he said busses fuel was gelling. Finally, potential rolling blackouts tonight and Tuesday. This month will go down in the history books.  Potential windchill tomorrow morning of -40 to -50. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

My kid had a 2hr delay today (and tomorrow)- he said the buses after dropping off the kids stayed put and continued to idle all day until dismissal. Fear was not starting and unable to return kids back home.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

3 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

My kid had a 2hr delay today (and tomorrow)- he said the buses after dropping off the kids stayed put and continued to idle all day until dismissal. Fear was not starting and unable to return kids back home.

We have now had 4 days off and 2 late starts in the last 3 weeks and it’s only February 15th. Our worst storms/blizzards occur in the next 2 months. I would bet we will be making up days in May. Busses not starting is a huge concern. I can see why they wouldn’t turn them off. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Already -15.7 now

Wow, with deep snow cover, clear skies, and light winds the temperature is absolutely tumbling out there... wonder if Omaha will have a shot at the all-time record low temperature of -32? We might end up closer than expected at this rate.  

I noticed the First National Tower downtown went dark tonight to help with the power conservation effort... what a historic arctic outbreak that will be remembered for a long time around a large part of the country. 

• Like 6

Clouds last night and again tonight are preventing eastern Iowa from plunging like locations to the west and north.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

An amazing stat I just worked out for KDSM - which I'am sure is true for many reading this.

DEC 20' avg temp was  +3.3F     3.3*31= +102.3

Jan 21' avg temp was +3.8F       3.8F*31 = +117.8

sooo--- FEB would need 102.3+117.8 = -220.1 to get to normal

Through the 15th- avg temp is -18.7F (compared to normal)

-18.7 * 15 = 280.5

so unless something drastically changes- this extreme cold and it's length has completely FLIPPED the winter from running 3.5F above normal to likely 2 below normal when this cold blast wraps up mid to late week.

That's amazing.

• Like 7

A PWS that I'am watching near Guthrie Center,IA (thank for the link btw of whoever posted the ambient wx link) has dropped 8 degrees in less than 2 hours.   -9F to -17F.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

An amazing stat I just worked out for KDSM - which I'am sure is true for many reading this.

DEC 20' avg temp was  +3.3F     3.3*31= +102.3

Jan 21' avg temp was +3.8F       3.8F*31 = +117.8

sooo--- FEB would need 102.3+117.8 = -220.1 to get to normal

Through the 15th- avg temp is -18.7F (compared to normal)

-18.7 * 15 = 280.5

so unless something drastically changes- this extreme cold and it's length has completely FLIPPED the winter from running 3.5F above normal to likely 2 below normal when this cold blast wraps up mid to late week.

That's amazing.

Wow flip the scrip because of one month?! That is amazing. We had a stretch in January where we had consecutive days of 50+.  

• Like 3