Arctic cold/LES

whatitdo

2 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

An amazing stat I just worked out for KDSM - which I'am sure is true for many reading this.

DEC 20' avg temp was  +3.3F     3.3*31= +102.3

Jan 21' avg temp was +3.8F       3.8F*31 = +117.8

sooo--- FEB would need 102.3+117.8 = -220.1 to get to normal

Through the 15th- avg temp is -18.7F (compared to normal)

-18.7 * 15 = 280.5

so unless something drastically changes- this extreme cold and it's length has completely FLIPPED the winter from running 3.5F above normal to likely 2 below normal when this cold blast wraps up mid to late week.

That's amazing.

I'm a #'s guy and that is a remarkable feat to accomplish.  Wow, that's an impressive Flip...this has been a tremendous victory for many snow/cold winter enthusiasts IMO.  Locally, I never would have thought it would come at this kinda of magnitude.  Literally, all the pieces to the puzzle in the atmosphere came together for a large portion of the Plains/MW this year.  I'm hopeful this bucked the trend for better winters in the coming years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

A PWS that I'am watching near Guthrie Center,IA (thank for the link btw of whoever posted the ambient wx link) has dropped 8 degrees in less than 2 hours.   -9F to -17F.

That was me😁

Pretty cool network of stations. You sometimes have to be carefully with accuracy of the people’s stations though. They’re really well calibrated temp wise but you’ll see stations with barometer readings way off etc. Of course it’s hard to know if they have a good location too for their setup. I remember when I first set mine up, I mounted it to the fence and used the mounting pole with it. I noticed the temps ran warm during the day. The model of Ambient station I got is sensitive enough that it was picking up heat coming off the wood fence below it when the sun was hitting the fence directly. I bought a 3 foot extension pole and don’t have that problem anymore. 
They’re good stations. Cost about $150 and are a nice alternative to the Davis brand.

• Like 4

^^^Crazy how fickle cold air is. One thing I have learned over the years is that anything over the top of the temp sensor- say under a deck, even under a tree or vegetation how much warmer a sensor will read. Don't believe me? Have someone watch your temp display and go out and hold a piece of cardboard above it for several minutes- the observer will notice a temp rise. Or do it yourself with a Kestrel etc.... ON a cold night like tonight it's 3-7F off - if not more.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

-33F right now at LE,MARS IOWA- just NE of Sioux City. This is the coldest I've seen in IA this outbreak. -31 yday from COOP observer also in NW IA.  

METAR: KLRJ 160735Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M36/M39 A3022 RMK AO2

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

NOAA logo - Click to go to the NOAA homepage Weather observations for the past three days NWS logo
Le Mars Municipal Airport
navbarleft.jpg Enter Your "City, ST" or zip code   
metric
D
a
t
e
Time
(cst)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
Weather Sky Cond. Temperature (ºF) Relative
Humidity
Wind
Chill
(°F)
Heat
Index
(°F)
Pressure Precipitation (in.)
Air Dwpt 6 hour altimeter
(in)
sea level
(mb)
1 hr 3 hr 6 hr
Max. Min.
16 01:35 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -33 -38     74% NA NA 30.22 NA      
16 01:15 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -29 -35     74% NA NA 30.22 NA      
16 00:55 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -27 -35     67% NA NA 30.22 NA      
16 00:35 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -27 -33     74% NA NA 30.23 NA      
16 00:15 Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -27 -33     74% NA NA 30.23 NA      
15 23:55 Calm 10.00 A Few Clouds FEW002 -27 -33     74% NA NA 30.23 NA  
  • Like 3

-25 or so here this morning. By far the coldest temp I've ever felt! This is just such a raw cold that it almost doesn't feel cold, much different than what I'm used to. KLNK is -26 at the hour but has dropped as low as -31! All time record low is -33 and this would be 2nd place. Quite the change after not dropping to -20 in 25 yrs. Not the best representation of the city lol but I see a few PWS on the outskirts of the city are reporting -30 rn.

• Like 4

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, snowstorm83 said:

-25 or so here this morning. By far the coldest temp I've ever felt! This is just such a raw cold that it almost doesn't feel cold, much different than what I'm used to. KLNK is -26 at the hour but has dropped as low as -31! All time record low is -33 and this would be 2nd place. Quite the change after not dropping to -20 in 25 yrs. Not the best representation of the city lol but I see a few PWS on the outskirts of the city are reporting -30 rn.

Calm winds and dry air, add some sun and it can feel deceptively less cold than it actually is at -30, for a short time. 

• Like 2

Had a co-worker back in the day now passed on - that was  a  Weather Observer in Delta Junction AK. He said -40 with calm winds was like Miami compared to -10F and 20mph winds. He also told me of friends that had lived in both ND and AK and MUCH preferred the winter of AK to ND based on real feel. Makes sense to me and those that really "feel" the cold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Had a co-worker back in the day now passed on - that was  a  Weather Observer in Delta Junction AK. He said -40 with calm winds was like Miami compared to -10F and 20mph winds. He also told me of friends that had lived in both ND and AK and MUCH preferred the winter of AK to ND based on real feel. Makes sense to me and those that really "feel" the cold.

My wife is a native of Siberia. She also was used to a "calm -40C/F" and couldn't stand the windy cold of the Mitt when she experience a rather harsh first winter here in 08-09. I also remember my days in the northland and one day in early Dec '95 when it was 0F with a 30 mph NW gale (backside winds from the storm that buried Sault Saint Marie in 60 inches). Never felt colder until perhaps my dig-out from the PV bliz 1/6/2014 at -16/-41F. Those are likely my 2 all-time "real feel" coldest experiences. May have had similar during the big freeze of Jan/Feb '94 but can't pin down the details, lol.

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

"Only" made it down to -23.6 here on my weather station. The temperature really jumped around last night before reaching that low at 640a.

Even crazier is that I've already climbed back above zero a few minutes ago. I feel like something has to be off with my station, but looking around town you can see most weather stations are within a few degrees of zero. You head out of town though and they are much colder. I wonder if the sun shining of the east facing houses that are my neighbors are messing with the sensor on my station a bit. It's amazing how warm the reflection feels off of a window for example.....

Ambient Weather.html

• Like 2
  • scream 1

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Apparently the rolling blackouts in Omaha made it to the next neighborhood over from mine. They were only supposed to last an hour, but many people said their power was out for 2-2.5 hours. At one point Omaha had up to 30k without power this morning, but they've stopped the outages for now.

Same here, neighborhoods east and north of us were part of the rolling blackouts this morning, however we haven't had any issues so far in our neighborhood (knock on wood). Hopefully the worst of this is behind us now... I am officially ready for Spring now! 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

That was me😁

Pretty cool network of stations. You sometimes have to be carefully with accuracy of the people’s stations though. They’re really well calibrated temp wise but you’ll see stations with barometer readings way off etc. Of course it’s hard to know if they have a good location too for their setup. I remember when I first set mine up, I mounted it to the fence and used the mounting pole with it. I noticed the temps ran warm during the day. The model of Ambient station I got is sensitive enough that it was picking up heat coming off the wood fence below it when the sun was hitting the fence directly. I bought a 3 foot extension pole and don’t have that problem anymore. 
They’re good stations. Cost about $150 and are a nice alternative to the Davis brand.

One problem with many cheaper stations is their anemometers don’t last very long with the nearly constant spinning of the wind cups, etc. Maybe not as good transmission either. Davis sends wind data packets every 2.5 seconds for real time viewing. Probably also rainfall data. About the only problem with Davis is their console buttons can wear out over time. I used to take my old one apart every so often and apply graphite paint on the buttons which worked well. Davis needs a touchscreen, but then it would cost yet more!

14 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

^^^Crazy how fickle cold air is. One thing I have learned over the years is that anything over the top of the temp sensor- say under a deck, even under a tree or vegetation how much warmer a sensor will read. Don't believe me? Have someone watch your temp display and go out and hold a piece of cardboard above it for several minutes- the observer will notice a temp rise. Or do it yourself with a Kestrel etc.... ON a cold night like tonight it's 3-7F off - if not more.

Many factors can make a difference like solar reflection or warmth coming from a house. Davis stations come with an optional choice of a fan aspirated radiation shield for more accurate temperature readings etc, but it costs more and probably is more maintenance so I didn’t get that. On hot calmish days the temperature may read a little higher without.

Buddy's wife is a State Farm agent, he just texted me this-State farm's entire computer system  is down as the back up generators in texas are diesel......and it gel'd up!!!

We didn't get the extreme cold lows, but Cedar Rapids officially spent 108 consecutive hours below zero, ending midday today.  That's the most since 1996.

• Like 8

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"