Super Bowl Weekend Multiple Waves

Tom

Just went out to move snow. Frigid. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this cold. A 20 mph east wind hits you in the face. I would say 4” for sure from my measurements, though it wouldn’t surprise me if someone got 5”. Wind again has drifted enough that accurate amounts are a little tricky. It’s been a decades since we’ve had this much snow on the ground. 

• Like 4

I went out earlier this morning around 7:30am to go shovel the driveway and the temp was -7F.  I have to say, that is probably the coldest air temp where I had to go venture out and shovel.  It didn't take me long bc we only had about 1" but it is an experience I won't forget.  Once I finished, I ventured out around my neighborhood to soak it all in.  I love hearing the "crunch" sound from the snow as it is a reminder of how cold it is outside.  It looks and feels like the Arctic Tundra out there.  I absolutely love this type of weather.

• Like 2
  • Snow 3

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I went out earlier this morning around 7:30am to go shovel the driveway and the temp was -7F.  I have to say, that is probably the coldest air temp where I had to go venture out and shovel.  It didn't take me long bc we only had about 1" but it is an experience I won't forget.  Once I finished, I ventured out around my neighborhood to soak it all in.  I love hearing the "crunch" sound from the snow as it is a reminder of how cold it is outside.  It looks and feels like the Arctic Tundra out there.  I absolutely love this type of weather.

I hope to never beat my own personal "coldest shovel" of -16/-41F WC on the evening of Jan 6th, 2014 (and it was 18X the snow you just moved). Even in NWMI I don't remember such brutal conditions. Probably due to the fact my house was only a few miles from the big water and I just walked behind my blower in snowmobiling gear.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

34 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

I hope to never beat my own personal "coldest shovel" of -16/-41F WC on the evening of Jan 6th, 2014 (and it was 18X the snow you just moved). Even in NWMI I don't remember such brutal conditions. Probably due to the fact my house was only a few miles from the big water and I just walked behind my blower in snowmobiling gear.

Yikes, that's cold!  I'm sure that is an experience you won't forget anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Eyeballing it, looks like maybe an inch after the 2-4” called for. Can still see the driveway through the new layer of snow. Puts us at about 3.5” total for the two waves. Definitely an underperformer here.

Made it down to -6.3 degrees last night about 1am before the clouds moved in and a breeze kicked in and started the temperatures warming back up 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Eyeballing it, looks like maybe an inch after the 2-4” called for. Can still see the driveway through the new layer of snow. Puts us at about 3.5” total for the two waves. Definitely an underperformer here.

Made it down to -6.3 degrees last night about 1am before the clouds moved in and a breeze kicked in and started the temperatures warming back up 

It’s not over yet.  Another round is coming around 4-5pm with another inch or two.

• Like 3

2 inches of snow here on the NE side of KC. Had around 1.3 yesterday and another good dusting this morning. Looks to be several more small disturbances to go as we finish today and start Monday. Maybe another 1-2 inches in KC before we get into possible some bigger snows later this week through early next week. 

BTW....NICE CALL TOM! I asked two weeks ago on the idea of winter weather making a run on KC and you said right around Feb. 5th. Boy did winter show up in a big way. I'm thankful for snow we have received but I sure would like to see those big piles that CentralNebweather is posting. What a lucky guy. SHARE SOME OF THE BIGGER SNOWS.....Please.  

Come on Chiefs! Let's do this!

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

It's getting harder to measure, but snow cover has to be approaching 15" at this point. 12"+ everywhere that didn't have grass showing (direct sunlight areas esp) before a few days ago. Just flurries now, might be able to get a few more tenths later on. I didn't think we'd be back to basically where we were on Jan 25th, but here we are. 

• Like 3
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

39 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Wow whats everyone's snow depth now?? The glacier is building and prolly not going anywhere for a while.

I'm in the TC this weekend. Currently -8 at noon.

Received 4" yesterday and 2" today giving me a 6" total from both waves. Snow depth in my back yard is 12" and the top half is powder and the bottom half is solid ice! Just looks amazing; this year is turning out to be one of the best we have had in a long time. 

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

11 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I know. I was saying the 2-4” forecast for this last wave was an underperformer and the 3.5” total so far isn’t near what the models were showing here.

It seems like today's clipper was slightly further south than expected, but didn't make a huge difference here. KLNK will likely have 2 day total of 10" or so. Lincoln has been an ultimate snow magnet this year! I wouldn't be opposed to an Omaha bullseye with the next system to share some of the wealth.

• Like 5

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, james1976 said:

Wow whats everyone's snow depth now?? The glacier is building and prolly not going anywhere for a while.

I'm in the TC this weekend. Currently -8 at noon.

12-16” but many places much deeper with drifting. There is a frozen layer below from previous storms and the big storm over a week ago. We have had approximately 10-11” since Friday. Of course some compaction from other storms. It is really impressive. 

• Like 4

Only picked up 1.5" of snow from this morning's snowfall - so ended up lower than originally forecast... maybe we can tack on a bit more this afternoon but not too sure about that happening.

Current snow depth in my backyard is around 8”. Even though the heaviest snow the last two days has been to our west and south, I am not going to complain one bit. Some of the snow piles along my driveway are as tall as I have seen them in the last 13 years of living in this house.  

• Like 7