Super Bowl Weekend Multiple Waves

Tom

NWS is downplaying this thing BIG TIME..which is really dumb. With snow ratios as high as they will be..not a good time to downplay totals. They seem to go against all logic. Even Jim Flowers doesn't seem interested.  Thinking we'll see a big change in tone by tomorrow afternoon. Amounts will start creeping up if the models keep looking this juiced.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

4 minutes ago, centralweather44 said:

Wondering what the local mets are seeing and thinking. Caught weather tonight and most calling for 1-2” per wave. Don’t seem all that impressed. Hoping we can cash in on some of these with at least 2”+ from each 

Heavier band seems to be wanting to set up further West if you're in Lincoln. Still, even Hastings is being SUPER conservative with this. I expect them to bump up totals by tomorrow

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

RAP

snku_acc.conus.png

The RAP really digs this system and tries to take it neg tilt while the global models are more positively tilted and flatter.  Hoping the RAP is sniffing out this wave being more amped like the globals were showing a few days ago.

500hv.conus.png

500hv.conus.png

• Like 2

NWS Hastings has finally arrived at the party, 2 days behind most of us. There disco this morning was amazing. Too long to post, so go there if interested. Summary, brutal stretch of cold. They aren’t exactly sure where the heaviest bands will set up, so amounts will likely change and probably will be increased. Says they are looking at all models. GFS and NAM are far apart which will make huge differences in amounts at certain locations. Also, high snow ratios will probably lead to higher amounts. Basically it could snow at any time in the next week. 

I’ve had my issues with them lately, but this is what I want in a disco. Gives all scenarios, science behind decisions, and potential problems with the forecast. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Forecast from KC office. Seems reasonable

View image on Twitter

^^ KC's graphic doesn't line up well with OMA and DMX's graphics.  Someone's going to be wrong.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I did several snow fall measurements around the yard and averaged 4" of new snow and now have 6" on the ground. The snow has kind of a crunchy fell to it so there is some moisture in it.  At the current time light snow is falling with a temperature of 20. All in all not as bad as I thought it would be this morning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

^^ KC's graphic doesn't line up well with OMA and DMX's graphics.  Someone's going to be wrong.

I will be tracking the NWS closely.  I saw they really missed with amounts on the low end in Iowa yesterday.  I think they are way to conservative in my area of Nebraska.  We'll see who is right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CentralNebWeather said:

12z HRW NMMB model.  An example of how important this band will be for who gets the heaviest snow.  This is totally different than the NAM location for Central Nebraska.

HRW 2.png

It's going to be a watch the radar type of week ahead.  Not much agreement though the 3km NAM almost looks like a good compromise.

• Like 1

Got to say, I love the look of the 3 HRW models that go to 48 hours.  Wouldn't mind a slight shift south on a couple, but still look good.  Radar tonight will tell the tale on where and how extensive the band will be.  Ultimately, NWS North Platte said they think the arctic front will be farther southwest so they believe the bands will be southwest of Euro and NAM.  They are following the GFS saying it has been more consistent.  That would be something if GFS knocked King Euro off his perch.😀

• Like 1