Valentines Weekend Snow

Tony

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Double digit totals are closing in on ya!

Hastings sure wants to be conservative with estimates.  They have been wrong for 3 storms in a row, might as well make it four.  I have called them out.  It is snowing good right now at -2, wonder what ratios are.  The 2nd wave moving southeast, I believe, will produce more than they are forecasting.  I guess we'll see if the pros or amateurs are correct.  

• Like 3

It was snowing at a good clip on my way to work. Visibility was definitely under a mile, tiny flakes though. No more than a half inch so far today, but it’s a good start. Didn’t think anything would start til like 3. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

4 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

To touch on further about Nebraska, it’s been great west of Omaha.

I have maybe 4-5” of snowcover in my backyard. We might get another inch or two today, but even that is down from 3-4” they were calling for earlier.

Goes back to what I’ve said before, brutally cold weather gets old really fast. You rarely get any decent snows unless you’re close enough to the baroclinic zone and a strong system rides along it close enough to your backyard. Most of the time is just hoping you get hit with nickel and dimers but those are a crap shoot and aren’t that exciting anyway.

Give me 20s and big storms any day over this garbage!

We are sitting at more than DOUBLE the average snow at the current time for the year and if we didn't see any more snow the rest of the year (which isn't going to happen obviously), we would still end up with an 7 inch surplus for the season... I have to say that we have absolutely nothing to complain about snow-wise around here this year. 

Back on topic, our light snow for today is a bit ahead of schedule - a couple local mets were calling for the accumulating snow to hold off until later this afternoon, however the fluffy flakes are starting to stack up a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

We are sitting at more than DOUBLE the average snow at the current time for the year and if we didn't see any more snow the rest of the year (which isn't going to happen obviously), we would still end up with an 7 inch surplus for the season... I have to say that we have absolutely nothing to complain about snow-wise around here this year. 

Back on topic, our light snow for today is a bit ahead of schedule - a couple local mets were calling for the accumulating snow to hold off until later this afternoon, however the fluffy flakes are starting to stack up a bit. 

You appear to have missed my point. I'm happy snow amount wise here for the season. The bitter cold with little snow at this point is getting old. The original poster I replied to was also talking about this current pattern and how bad it's been for him over in Iowa and that was my point too, that it's been underwhelming here, at least in my backyard, and I'm ready for a change in pattern.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

You appear to have missed my point. I'm happy snow amount wise here for the season. The bitter cold with little snow at this point is getting old. The original poster I replied to was also talking about this current pattern and how bad it's been for him over in Iowa and that was my point too, that it's been underwhelming here, at least in my backyard, and I'm ready for a change in pattern.

Bring on spring, I want to go camping!!

• Like 3
  • lol 1

Looking at radar returns I don’t think we are going to fair all that well in Lincoln on this round. Nearing 1” total for the day. Lancaster counties southern border is basically cut off here tonight. Hoping we can squeeze out anchor inch here in the next couple hours before it moves it’s way out. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, centralweather44 said:

Looking at radar returns I don’t think we are going to fair all that well in Lincoln on this round. Nearing 1” total for the day. Lancaster counties southern border is basically cut off here tonight. Hoping we can squeeze out anchor inch here in the next couple hours before it moves it’s way out. 

Yep, but sure is pretty. No such thing as too cold to snow when it’s ripping like this below zero!

• Like 6

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Getting some nice big fatties right now on WNW side of DSM- measured 1.3" at midnight and looks like we may be able to double that if bands remain the same around OMA- but I doubt it. In my mind- this has all ready over achieved after horrible runs of the NAM etc. It seems that little hole over C.IA that alot of guidance was showing showed itself in the Ames area. Also- KDSM just went over 50" for the year!!!! https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/data/summary/mw_season_snowfall.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I received 1.1" overnight.  It's a nice powder, about as dry as snow ever gets with a temp of -6 during the event, but it didn't last much more than a few hours.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Got several more inches from about 12:30-4:30 AM when only flurries were forecasted. Hastings saying 2-5” for the area tonight into Sunday. For my place and Southwest, I think 5” or a little more is possible as the bitter cold air will have very high snow ratios. Hastings never seems that interested in them for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yerf said:

2 degrees with moderate snow. Nice Saturday morning 😀

Is this what It looks and feels like living in Alaska?  Loving this weather.  Picked up 1.4” so far and snowing moderately also here.  Great start to the weekend!

• Like 3

Its beautiful outside (snow on top of snow is something I can deal w, as long it is stacking up) w what looks like an inch or so, just by eyeballing it. This will be an all day event w heavier burst later this afternoon and evening b4 tapering off by evening. Mets are calling for a couple of inches. 👍

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

LOT mentioned in latest update on increase in snow intensity this afternoon

I believe it’s the meso low that could be pushing a boundary farther west into NE IL.  You can see it on the COD radar.  I also see LEHS up into the MKE area.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Lake, Cook and DuPage getting some solid returns...def lake enhanced...

1.gif

Liking the looks of this. Hope to keep adding to the totals. This is encouraging as we look to tomorrow nights event as that could be an over performer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Liking the looks of this. Hope to keep adding to the totals. This is encouraging as we look to tomorrow nights event as that could be an over performer 

Models are under doing the lake effect parameters.  Mon-Tue is going to be a legit chance for a high end advisory for LES.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Models are under doing the lake effect parameters.  Mon-Tue is going to be a legit chance for a high end advisory for LES.

LOT update mentioning a couple hours of 3/4" to 1" per hour rates this afternoon. This is on top of what we are seeing now

• Like 2