The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

• Meteorologist

For folks in Seattle, some green echoes are showing up around the southwest Kitsap Peninsula that are moving towards the ENE.

PNG image-EAEF36033EC9-1.png

• Like 3

Heavier echoes are going to be moving into Tacoma shortly. Probably 1/2” of snow so far. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Just now, Fircrest said:

28 and moderate snow. Sticking very well.  Sure makes a difference to have snow with below freezing temps, compared to what was happening yesterday.

It’s gonna be a fun night! 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
1 minute ago, TeacherLori said:

(So, a non-weather related question: what does "Member's total reputation" mean underneath the avatars? 🤷‍♀️ )

the total number of "likes" you have received weighted against posting activity

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I figured a bunch of you would appreciate that!

Nerds???   Ouch,  😄

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

It is already getting insanely icy out there. Hard to walk. 

Sounds like it could be a very crippling ice storm for much of the area down there. Any predictions on when it might turn to rain? I've been focusing on Puget sound weather mostly.

Looks like the snow is probably safe to call it a moderate rate now. Things are getting interesting!

• Like 2

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Growing up in the PNW in the 90s to mid 2000s, I only remember maybe 2-3 nights like tonight, where you know you are watching a big, potentially historic event unfold. It's truly magical.

This is what being a weather weenie is all about. Enjoy, all!

• Like 6

Low. Solar.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Could be an ugly night.

Are you on team freezing rain forever? Seems like the upper levels are progged to cool later this evening.

• Like 2

Apparently Tigard is getting pretty icy according to Twitter rumblings.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Not true? 🤣

So true... still ouch! 

My wife is feeling tired after her shot and is already in bed and watching a movie on her computer with a glass of wine... and I just asked her if she wanted to stay up all night and watch it snow.   She looked at me like WTF are you talking about and said she was sure it will all still be there in the morning to see.  🙄

• Like 2
  • lol 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wind is definitely picking up. Pretty strong gusts here every now and then. Temp down to 24, DP up to 15 with flurries. Feels downright frigid out there with the winds. 

Euro doesn't show precip overcoming dry air for accumulations out here until after 10PM. Gonna need to be patient. 

• Like 1

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

So true... still ouch! 

My wife is feeling tired after her shot and is already in bed and watching a movie on her computer with a glass of wine... and I just asked her if she wanted to stay up all night and watch it snow.   She looked at me like the WTF are you talking about and said she was sure it will all still be there in the morning to see.  🙄

D**n wives!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, iFred said:

If you're interested in helping the weather community with this storm, there are two things you can do.

1) Get the mPING app from NOAA and use it to report if you are or are not seeing snow. - https://mping.nssl.noaa.gov/
You can also browse the mPING returns here - https://mping.ou.edu/display/

2) Take pictures of the snow! Use a ruler or tape measurer and describe the general location and time that you took the picture. After the fact, meteorologists will use the data from your reports to backfill data for the event and to create a better picture of what happened as opposed to what was forecasted.

I just did part 2. Twice!

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Are you on team freezing rain forever? Seems like the upper levels are progged to cool later this evening.

00z NAM gives us maybe 2-3 hours of straight snow before sunrise. It's the most pessimistic model and has been a little warmish so far aloft, so hopefully we can stretch that up to 5 hours north and east of Portland.

6 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

D**n wives!

She won't watch Seahawks games either.   I can't convince her that the weather or football are important! 

• lol 1

17 minutes ago, TeacherLori said:

(So, a non-weather related question: what does "Member's total reputation" mean underneath the avatars? 🤷‍♀️ )

Test.....just liked your post ( your at 54) before I liked it. :) 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Really tough call.  I think we have some things working for us up there and against us.  I’d lean toward mostly non-snow for anyone in the metro area.  

• Sad 1
  • Storm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just checked out side. Seems to be just about the definition of "wintry mix" out there. Sleet, some stray snowflakes, and a light glaze of ZR on everything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Wind is definitely picking up. Pretty strong gusts here every now and then. Temp down to 24, DP up to 15 with flurries. Feels downright frigid out there with the winds. 

Euro doesn't show precip overcoming dry air for accumulations out here until after 10PM. Gonna need to be patient. 

Got some flurries here but if that’s the case my wait is longer for sticking snow

11 minutes ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

And the heaviest precip hasn't even come ashore yet.

Yeah going to be insane to see how heavy it gets later. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic