The Weather Forums

Gonna be a COLD night. Just dropped another degree to 27, it was 30 at 5-5:30. Evap cooling is kicking in as snow is getting a bit heavier even though the flakes are quite tiny. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Agreed. That's pretty common though at the start of events like this. More exciting than saying everything is on schedule, which I totally get.

I get it.

The real show for the EPSL is going to be from midnight through 10 a.m.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

22 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Reasoning? I mean it seems like the cold layer coming through the Gorge must be fairly deep at this point (albeit eroded the last few hours) With 850s falling below zero and thicknesses below 540 later this evening it seems like the upper levels should fall into line to allow snow to survive the entire column at some point tonight.

Outflow is expected to only ramp up as the low approaches offshore too, which should help keep the low levels nice and refrigerated and prevent further eroding of the cold pool.

The low level cold pool is certainly not an issue and will be well fed throughout the night and tomorrow.  The mid levels are just gonna be a constant balancing act. Areas that have switched over recently though will have a tough time switching back until the low begins to die out and thicknesses/850mb temps cool pretty appreciable, at least in my opinion.

All this said, we’re back to pretty much straight snow here.

• Like 3
  • lol 1
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, SnowChild said:

Interesting that it’s snowing at cougar mountain and still dry here. I’m not far from you. I’m on the north end of 169. 

I saw the first flake or two here ~3:30, and by 4:15 or so it was snowing lightly. It's been like that ever since! I'm on the north side of Cougar Mountain, near I-90.

3 minutes ago, Alix said:

I live in the easterly winds screw zone called Sammamish Washington and I haven't seen a single flake today

It’s snowing pretty good in Bellevue and Issaquah so you should be good.

• Like 1

House is shaking in the wind now... its definitely getting stronger as the system begins to move inland.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Very very windy— if only we had some snow.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I've been lurking since Feb 2019. This forum is entertaining. Funny watching the arguments on basically everything. But what is even more fun is when an event plays out like this one is it feels different because everyone is hopefully winning. Anyways, here's to a fun night!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

HRRR thinks precip type is snow for Clark county right now. Are these lies?

ref1km_ptype.us_state_or.png

Thinks I will switch over to snow by 8PM.

Snow line continues to push south.

Heavy snow in Ridgefield right now. Was sleet/ZR/snow for about 3 or 4 hours though

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The low level cold pool is certainly not an issue and will be well fed throughout the night and tomorrow.  The mid levels are just gonna be a constant balancing act. Areas that have switched over recently though will have a tough time switching back until the low begins to die out and thicknesses/850mb temps cool pretty appreciable, at least in my opinion.

We had a thin glaze of zr earlier and have now switched back to sleet. Right behind you!

And obviously the cold in the lowest levels will be just fine until Sunday maybe early Monday, but erosion and shallowing of the cold pool can make non-snow types of frozen precip more likely.

Looking at these blizzard (like conditions) in Bonney Lake, there could be some hope for most Eastsider's. We got shafted with the wind yesterday. Now? Precip is stronger even though we've had a few gusts around 40 more or less. Definitely a sigh of relief for most of us if not all. Not to mention the real moist air hasn't even arrived yet.

I have faith and a odd sense this will pan well. Although crow I'm sure isn't good unless you have the right spices.

• Like 1
Just now, clipper_range said:

Looking at these blizzard (like conditions) in Bonney Lake, there could be some hope for most Eastsider's. We got shafted with the wind yesterday. Now? Precip is stronger even though we've had a few gusts around 40 more or less. Definitely a sigh of relief for most of us if not all. Not to mention the real moist air hasn't even arrived yet.

Glad to hear it’s snowing in Bonney lake. That has to be a good sign for eastern suburbs. 

• Like 1

DP up to 18. 
I have been avoiding turning on the fireplace since the windstorm since I used a lot of propane using that as our only source of heat during the 4 day power outage but I just couldn’t resist this evening!! 

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Found it pretty interesting how these spots in the Coast Range switched back to snow very quickly once the heavier echos showed up. Seems the mid levels can't be that warm in these spots?

US26 at Timber Jct

US26 at Staleys Junction

image.png.1a2046c620ecbe98d893f4edbef82e58.png

• Like 2

Hoping it’s just a matter of time before we switch over because this moisture looks great.

• Snow 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Huge gusts here in North Bend. Stop for some food. Car is rattling in the drive through 

Better get home soon...sh*ts getting real here in the south sound and the heavy stuff hasn’t arrived yet. 

• Like 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-0.47”

Cold season rainfall-32.56”

Snowfall-15.5”

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Just got home and it's really coming down good. Temp is 25.3.  We're still a few hrs away from the beginning of the heavy bands.

Thats what I keep telling myself with these child like snowflakes currently falling.

30 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

I have a bottle of Black Velvet Toasted Caramel in the boat.  Whenever we net a salmon we toast.  That's some pretty good tasty stuff. 

I've had it before, very flavorful. I love the caramel flavoring.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Thats what I keep telling myself with these child like snowflakes currently falling.

That would be some big f*cking flakes.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 3

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Anyone have a current low position?

You can track the low and a number of other observations with the SPC page

• Snow 1
8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

DP up to 18. 
I have been avoiding turning on the fireplace since the windstorm since I used a lot of propane using that as our only source of heat during the 4 day power outage but I just couldn’t resist this evening!! 

I have the wood stove ripping!

20210212_191216.jpg

• Like 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

This spot was nearly entirely free of snow most of the day and now its all snow covered as the heavier precip hit. It isn't  any further north than downtown. The Coast Range mid levels must be cooler. 

image.png.8b08f6452faf6fb9ef0dcf6f99adb956.png

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Huge gusts here in North Bend. Stopped for some food. Car is rattling in the drive-through

Welcome!    Any snow falling down there?   Some very light, wind-driven snow up here now.

7 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Found it pretty interesting how these spots in the Coast Range switched back to snow very quickly once the heavier echos showed up. Seems the mid levels can't be that warm in these spots?

US26 at Timber Jct

US26 at Staleys Junction

image.png.1a2046c620ecbe98d893f4edbef82e58.png

IBM GRAF Rapid model through the next 12 hours shows the Westside doing better than parts of Central Metro. I think with the heavier moisture you folks there in Washington County will do better than parts of PDX Metro that traditionally get that warm tongue.

GRAF_RapidUpdate_Rain.jpg

GRAF_RapidUpdate_Snow-1.jpg

• Like 1

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

3 minutes ago, seattlewx said:

Been flurrying in Greenwood since around 5pm. Teeny flakes. Very cute dusting of snow on the pavement now. Drinking boxed wine, hoping for heavier snow tonight!! 

Boxed wine....nice!!!  My mom used to hide that stuff under the bathroom sink.  Good stuff.

• lol 2
Just now, Frontal Snowsquall said:

IBM GRAF Rapid model through the next 12 hours shows the Westside doing better than parts of Central Metro. I think with the heavier moisture you folks there in Washington County will do better than parts of PDX Metro that traditionally get that warm tongue.

GRAF_RapidUpdate_Rain.jpg

GRAF_RapidUpdate_Snow-1.jpg

That GRAF model is all kinds of garbage, even Mark said so.

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic