The Weather Forums

2 minutes ago, luterra said:

I don't like the look of this.  Gorge outflow is putting a cork in the bottle of the Willamette Valley and preventing a southerly gradient from setting up despite the low being so far north.  Not going to lose the icing until the frontal passage weakens the outflow and cools the upper levels.

hrrr_ref_frzn_nwus_4.png

This thing took a horse's trot to get from The Calapuya divide to Springfield. Cottage Grove got to 46F or so about 1-2PM. Then Creswell about 5PM and then it hopped the Row-Willamette divide into Dexter-Lowell at about 6PM and then finally hit Goshen at about 10PM before coming into Springfield and Eugene proper just before midnight.

They're fuckked. This is a super warm and juicy airmass now. A lot of pineapple into the bottom part of this regional pina colada.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Should get some great rates. Probably going to sleep soon so I might miss it🥱🥱

Thought we were doing an all nighter? I have to be to work in 6 hours and I'm not sleeping lol. It'll probably be cancelled anyway

• Excited 2
11 minutes ago, Kayla said:

-10F / -20F here yesterday. I don't think I've ever seen so much below zero snowfall in my life. Another 6" yesterday.

The warmup on Monday to above zero temps can't come soon enough. Currently -17F. 

This winter saved it all up for February. Unreal.

• Like 1

Low. Solar.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

10.5" of snow for yesterday...new all-time daily record for my station (records since Dec 2010). 

Nice! Up to about 8.5" now at last measurement, have likely had some settling as well.

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

This thing was kind of a two parter that blended into one continuous event for some areas, similar to the 12/20 and 12/21-22 events in 2008. Otherwise, I think the breadth of 1/6/2004 would be comparable as well 

Can't say for sure yet, but I think we'll see higher regional 24 and 48 hour totals from this.

I don't think anyone saw over a foot on 1/6/2004.

Low. Solar.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

This winter saved it all up for February. Unreal.

It's pretty insane that February came through like this again.

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 86.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 18.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -17.1º

Number of subzero days: 7

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Nice! Up to about 8.5" now at last measurement, have likely had some settling as well.

I had to update it to 9"...I added a 1.5" measurement twice lol 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

What's your current snow depth?

At last measure yesterday morning it was 22". Probably up over 2ft now. This light fluffy fairy dust stuff settles very quickly.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 86.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 18.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -17.1º

Number of subzero days: 7

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Not going to try to read all the posts while I last checked in! Sounds like everyone is seeing snow now.

Here on the King/Snohomish County line in Shoreline there is a smidge over 2". Traveling around tonight was an experience from city to city. Took an hour about to get from my last stop in Redmond to home. -10 minutes at the store. 

24* here currently!

Pictures in a moment...

• Like 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

8 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

This thing took a horse's trot to get from The Calapuya divide to Springfield...they're fuckked.

Looking at the HRRR evolution, the other thing blocking the establishment of southerlies through the valley is that a secondary surface low is budding off along the front and pushing across central Oregon through the early morning hours.  This is a crazy strange pattern.

Climbing by tenths now, up to 31.9.  Feeling lucky to be just outside the damage zone on this one.

• Like 1

The best I can tell I've gotten 1.2" so far, but that's barely better than a guess.  Some drifts in the 6 to 10 inch range though.  Coming down pretty good right now and 23 degrees.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, luterra said:

Looking at the HRRR evolution, the other thing blocking the establishment of southerlies through the valley is that a secondary surface low is budding off along the front and pushing across central Oregon through the early morning hours.  This is a crazy strange pattern.

Climbing by tenths now, up to 31.9.  Feeling lucky to be just outside the damage zone on this one.

Going to get a burst of strong westerlies through the south valley around 4 am.  Hopefully not too much through the ice zone farther north.

27 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

The mixing associated with this line may tip us over to mostly sleet again for a time. We should be safe again up here after 2am.

Went back and forth between sleet and snow for a bit but now precip turned up another notch here and just vomiting snow out of the sky now. Not sure my area right now can support 100% snow with lighter precip. I seem to be right on that sleet/snow line here. Fortunately the precip rate here has been great, mostly staying as snow. Hopefully the mid levels cool a hair in the coming hours.

• Like 3

Pics are slow to load, lol.

I saw some interesting observations traveling over 20 miles or so. Redmond less than an inch - maybe an inch. It was hard to tell because the wind was whipping the powdery snow around a lot. Just as cold out there than here. In Kirkland, Kenmore there was probably closer to 1.5", not as much wind, but still noticeable. Lake Forest Park to here, the winds are calmer and there is a bit more snow. So I think the models did pin point that dry east flow pretty good.

Weather station/wx cam:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

The radar returns to my SW could be fun here soon, but they are gonna make things really fun for Snowmizer!!

I'm up and waiting! It's harder to stay up than it used to be, feeling my age haha.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Went back and forth between sleet and snow for a bit but now precip turned up another notch here and just vomiting snow out of the sky now. Not sure my area right now can support 100% snow with lighter precip. I seem to be right on that sleet/snow line here. Fortunately the precip rate here has been great, mostly staying as snow. Hopefully the mid levels cool a hair in the coming hours.

Yeah, becoming more optimistic that we can stay on the snow side of this thanks to the rates. If so, good chance a lot of Clark County goes into the double digits and maybe over a foot.

• Like 4

Snow is coming down in swirling clouds right now.  Really coming down good!

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I’m not loving the fact that this storm has already paralyzed parts of south metro and Marion County and still has several hours to go. But then again, many areas are doing great with snow. Here it’s heavy sleet, but we’ve still get a few inches of snow under a layer of ice.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, becoming more optimistic that we can stay on the snow side of this thanks to the rates. If so, good chance a lot of Clark County goes into the double digits and maybe over a foot.

I'm glad you were able to stay out of the awful freezing rain mess.  I know what that feels like.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm glad you were able to stay out of the awful freezing rain mess.  I know what that feels like.

Unfortunately I’m afraid we’re gonna wake up to quite a mess from about Milwaukie south to Salem.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

• Meteorologist

That band from West Seattle to Renton is really dumping snow at the moment and the heaviest is yet to come.

• Like 3

Pictures in order...

Totem Lake Kirkland, Downtown Redmond, Kenmore - off Bothell Way, Lake Forest Park - Ballinger Way, then here at the Shoreline/Edmonds border on 8th Ave NW.

20210212_223749_HDR.jpg

20210212_230828_HDR.jpg

20210212_234421_HDR.jpg

20210213_000053_HDR.jpg

20210213_001241_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Weather station/wx cam:

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Going to be a lot of nasty damage from this in Clackamas and Marion Counties especially. Probably going to see some 1.25"+ ice accumulations verify. Twice the hassle and none of the fun of snow.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Going to be a lot of nasty damage from this in Clackamas and Marion Counties especially. Probably going to see some 1.25"+ ice accumulations verify. Twice the hassle and none of the fun of snow.

Already 70k without power in clackamas county and 50k in Marion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1
25 minutes ago, luterra said:

Did y'all end up with a sub-freezing high? EUG missed out by a few degrees and Springfield spiked to the upper 40s just before midnight to wreck our chance at a sub-40F out of this...damnn.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Switching back to more of a sleet/zr/snow profile here for about the last hour, after 3-4 hours of moderate to heavy snow. A lot of blowing and drifting but I’d say about 10” now if not pretty close to it.

22 degrees.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Unfortunately I’m afraid we’re gonna wake up to quite a mess from about Milwaukie south to Salem.

Based on current road closures looks like a band of heavy ice from Neskowin to Silverton and about 30 miles north to south.  Corvallis and Albany are OK, just light icing and starting to warm now.

• Like 2

Some nice maps of weather data out of the College of DuPage in Illinois. False color of the storm overhead is impressive.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-Pac_NW-13-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=data#

Weather station/wx cam:

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Did y'all end up with a sub-freezing high? EUG missed out by a few degrees and Springfield spiked to the upper 40s just before midnight to wreck our chance at a sub-40F out of this...damnn.

Nope, made it up to 33.3 during peak heating today.

• Sad 1
  • iFred locked and unpinned this topic