The Weather Forums

Temp holding steady here at 22. 84% humidity with a DP of 18. Winds are still shaking the house fairly consistently. Flakes have gotten a hair bigger but still mostly sand-like tiny shards of ice that sting your face anytime you look into the wind. Will probably go on another walk soon and try to get more pics/measurements.

The stuff moving inland looks really fun too. Hoping I can stay up long enough for that. If not, nice thing is, should still be going by morning. This turned out pretty nice. Do feel bad for the folks dealing with ice though. Not good.

• Like 4

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I’m not loving the fact that this storm has already paralyzed parts of south metro and Marion County and still has several hours to go. But then again, many areas are doing great with snow. Here it’s heavy sleet, but we’ve still get a few inches of snow under a layer of ice.

Its interesting how close the snow/sleet line is. I am a few miles NW of HIO and its absolutely all snow here and yet I see HIO is still reporting sleet or unknown precip. I suspect you'll be changing over in the next hour.

• Like 4

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

3 minutes ago, luterra said:

Based on current road closures looks like a band of heavy ice from Neskowin to Silverton and about 30 miles north to south.  Corvallis and Albany are OK, just light icing and starting to warm now.

The seems to be the general ice radius— and icing will likely continue there for a few more hours with those heavy echoes coming in. Could be seeing significant damage.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, CasuallyFoxy said:

You can see the apparent circulation on Langley radar west of Seaside, pressure is lowest in Cannon Beach and Manzanita, looks like.

There are rumors of a dumbbelling low coming in around the south Lincoln County area? Have those been confirmed? That would keep the freezing gradient stalled around Corvallis-Albany for many hours longer with significant icing for areas like Salem, Dallas, Monmouth-Independence, McMinnville, Amity, Dayton, Sheridan, Willamina, Grand Ronde, Tillamook, Hebo, Beaver, Cloverdale, Neskowin, and possibly even all the way out to Pacific City.

• Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Those heavy echoes just keep coming.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

There are rumors of a dumbbelling low coming in around the south Lincoln County area? Have those been confirmed?

There are some steeper pressure drops along the coast between Coos Bay and Newport, but still higher absolute pressure than the north coast by a touch.  Sure looks like one on satellite though.

• Thanks 1

This AR is absolutely locked and loaded for y'all. It has warmed so much here. Holy shitt I hope I can one day get in on this blowing snow phenomenon to the north of one of these bad boys. 2-25-19 was a weird setup with very wet snow from heavy precip rates in a very borderline airmass. Was quite the miracle setup TBH.

I use this photo a lot because I don't have very many snow photos to share.

From 2-25-19:

Fight Epilepsy Snow.jpeg

• Like 6

Personal Stats:

Venmo

There are some steeper pressure drops along the coast between Coos Bay and Newport, but still higher absolute pressure than the north coast by a touch.  Sure looks like one on satellite though.

Any chance that delays the advance of the surface Arctic boundary? Which is already moving very slowly.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Doesn't appear to be a closed low, but a broad area of low pressure.  HRRR has a weak closed low pinching off inland over the east valley and moving across central Oregon overnight.

Considering I already have 2” and my forecast was for just 1-3” from most outlets I’d say that has good chance to bust but maybe the main chunk of moisture still to come won’t make it to me? 

16 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Its interesting how close the snow/sleet line is. I am a few miles NW of HIO and its absolutely all snow here and yet I see HIO is still reporting sleet or unknown precip. I suspect you'll be changing over in the next hour.

Seems like HIO is consistently just a hair too far east to really benefit from the deeper cold pools up against the Coast Range. Even as close as Cornelius and North Plains it seems like a consistent difference.

• Like 1
Just now, luterra said:

Doesn't appear to be a closed low, but a broad area of low pressure.  HRRR has a weak closed low pinching off inland over the east valley and moving across central Oregon overnight.

Yeah, kind of an elongated area of lower pressure stretching south from the primary low.  Hopefully it can help turn midlevel winds a little more easterly for the north valley.  I'm up to ~1.25" ice and the power keeps flickering :c

• scream 1

1 am update puts me at about an inch. Basically what was shown by the NAM and the GFS by this point.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

2 minutes ago, yellowstone said:

Anyone in this band from Shelton to Olympia? Would love to stay awake for in Seattle but not sure I can make it that long. 

EC67A74D-B862-4236-8346-8F41A9A6706A.png

I'm closer to Tacoma and i'm waiting for it 

Yeah, kind of an elongated area of lower pressure stretching south from the primary low.  Hopefully it can help turn midlevel winds a little more easterly for the north valley.  I'm up to ~1.25" ice and the power keeps flickering :c

We have hours of this stuff to go, that's terrifying that areas in the south metro already have that much. Stay safe!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Unrelenting ice assault here in Gladstone.  27.  Trees  in the area sagging and cracking and crying uncle.  Ma Nature seems to be saying, “Fuc$ you.”  Still, really happy to see all the scoring happening, especially for the Portland/Couv folks. 

• Sad 2
  • scream 1
  • Meteorologist

A little over 3" here that band down by Olympia looks like it should produce at least 1in/hr rates. It's moving at a good clip to the NE.

• Excited 1
9 minutes ago, yellowstone said:

Anyone in this band from Shelton to Olympia? Would love to stay awake for in Seattle but not sure I can make it that long. 

EC67A74D-B862-4236-8346-8F41A9A6706A.png

Took a minute to kick in but it’s here and it’s now puking snow. Hoping it doesn’t move out of here too fast but seems like it’s moving quick.

• Snow 1

Up to 25 degrees from a low of 23, and we have 3” of snow on Education Hill in Redmond!  Wind is still blowing the snow off of the roofs, and cars. We’ve added a half inch in the last 40 minutes, and it is snowing hard now. I’d be surprised if we don’t have 9-10” by morning. 

5 minutes ago, Requiem said:

We have hours of this stuff to go, that's terrifying that areas in the south metro already have that much. Stay safe!

Northern ZR areas might go to snow once subzero 850s come onshore around 4 am.  The ice zone looks like it will get narrower from both sides and then precip rates drop off shortly after.

1 minute ago, Austin Wright said:

Took a minute to kick in but it’s here and it’s now puking snow. Hoping it doesn’t move out of here too fast but seems like it’s moving quick.

Heaviest of the storms so far in Olympia?

2 minutes ago, Austin Wright said:

With a sh!t ton behind it I wouldn't worry about it

Temp steady at 24 here. Snowflake size has increased a bit. 

Weather station/wx cam:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

10,400+ without power across the PSE grid. Mostly from Bellevue south and east towards North Bend. Only 138 for Seattle City Light.

Haven't heard any trees crash here - yet! Luckily the snow is dry and is blowing off the trees.

Weather station/wx cam:

Very disappointed in the NWS Seattle office due to lack of any accurate wind forecasts or warnings.  Even yesterday in Lynden with over 65mph gusts...no high wind warning.  And tonight the winds increasing....no wind advisory.  

• Like 1

Flow is still northerly at EUG so that's not an encouraging sign for folks seeing icing. Looks like the BSF boundary is on a line from about Monroe to Brownsville-Halsey to Lebanon but then all the low elevations north of there are still inside the Arctic boundary. Warm nose in elevated areas around Mill City. Andrew is probly in the upper 30s but lower down the powerlines are probly all busted from the glaze. The area between Molalla and Estacada is also flirting with the freezing mark in the northern extent of the Cascade foothill warm nose.

This is the biggest temp gradient from Springfield to EUG that I have ever seen. 10F difference!!

These situations are beautiful to observe (even from this BSF side of it) how slowly they unfold. It's quite like watching a ballgame with teams you are neutral about and it's kinda nicer without the pressure.

• Like 5

Personal Stats:

Venmo

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic