The Weather Forums

3 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

I guess all the hype about the SSW actually came true.

Hard to say if this is all due to something that happened almost a month and a half ago...certainly didn't follow the generally predicted timeline.

But I'm sure Phil will say it was. 😉

• Popcorn 1

Low. Solar.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I've got to imagine that by the end of this fall-winter, only a small area of the CONUS will have not been impacted by some sort of abnormal fall-winter conditions. SW OR, maybe parts of California and Florida...that's it.

Fuckk

This is why I root so hard for SSW events. 😂 Almost always gives the pattern a kick in the pants, and nails most everyone vs regional stuff in most years. Right now both Alaska and the CONUS is in the icebox..that’s pretty special.

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

Took about nine hours longer than modeled to get a temperature spike here, finally up to 37 with a southerly push.  Up to 0.63" on the day.  Anyone more than 10 miles north got all of that precip as ice and is still subfreezing.  Limited reports due to lack of power but I think we will be shocked as the day goes on.  Appears that nearly all roads through the ice zone are closed by fallen trees/wires with the exception of I-5 and 22E which have a wide cleared ROW.

46 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Was an incredible night, was up until almost 4am snowboarding and sledding. Got 3 hours of sleep and now time to watch the end of this snowstorm. 

I’m going to try my new snowshoes! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Hard to say if this is all due to something that happened almost a month and a half ago...certainly didn't follow the generally predicted timeline.

But I'm sure Phil will say it was. 😉

But weren't there more than one?  Seems like there was a 2nd SSW event more recently.

Just now, wx_statman said:

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

front_door.jpg

WOW.....That's crazy! 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Post a video so I can live vicariously through you.

I will try to post a video... but I can't seem to open other people's videos on here.   I was able to open the video Chris did yesterday... but most of the are in a .mov format that does not work for me.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, Tyler Mode said:

Talking to my friend in Hot Springs Arkansas and he's saying how cold it is...I'm like really?  Then I looked up their forecast...haha it's colder than here.

Screenshot_2021-02-13 Zone Area Forecast for Clark County.png

Stupid Appalachians keeping the best airmass bottled away from me. Been getting off/on freezing/sleet for 3 days now.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Impossible to measure here due to drifting. Winds still howling but nothing like last night. Even though we probably got less than areas to the west, experiencing the bitter cold with the powdery snow has been awesome and I prefer this over a few more inches of slop.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I will try to post a video... but I can't seem to open other people's videos on here.   I was able to open the video Chris did yesterday... but most of the are in a .mov format that does not work for me.  

You can upload it to a 3rd party hosting service if direct upload doesn’t work.

5 minutes ago, wx_statman said:

front_door.jpg

All the snow blew to your place!  I got everyone garbage cans when I lived there and a few Oregonian papers. 

Unexpected, we are getting the heaviest snow I have seen during this whole event right now.  It never really snowed above what the airport calls “light snow” I’m assuming that has something to do with the dry and small nature of the flakes as precip rates should have warranted.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I uploaded it straight from my phone.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

What kind did you get?  I picked up some MSR Lightning Ascent right before Christmas and love them.  

Beginner gear to see if I like it....I don’t think I’ll be doing any hardcore stuff so these should do at the moment.  Costco of course 

D545DEB0-1B5C-4956-989C-06B1830CF530.jpeg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Here is a video uploaded from my phone...

Sonuvabitch thats heaven on earth.

• Excited 1
20 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

As a full blown weather wimp I'd say my favorite thing about the weather at my cabin is knowing it pretty much stays at or below freezing for 2 months lol. Takes the edge off not watching the temp every 5 seconds. 

I wanted to end up somewhere in the Okanogan Highlands but the wife won out.  Instead of having a cabin on 20 or 50 acres it's on 3.5 and just outside Winthrop. :)Not quite as cold as where your cabin is but still get to experience a white Christmas every year and a real winter. 

• Like 1

Woke up around 8am when our power blipped for a few moments... we are sitting pretty here! 8.5" of snow on Cougar Mountain, and still coming down! I finally have a chance to break out the 10" snow hiking boots I bought after the Feb 2019 storm!

2-13-2021-0830Depth-Cropped.jpg

2-13-2021-0830-Sm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
14 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

What kind did you get?  I picked up some MSR Lightning Ascent right before Christmas and love them.  

Have been using Lightning Ascents for a few years now, they're amazing!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jginmartini said:

Beginner gear to see if I like it....I don’t think I’ll be doing any hardcore stuff so these should do at the moment.  Costco of course 

D545DEB0-1B5C-4956-989C-06B1830CF530.jpeg

I have to get the 30" so my choices are rather limited.  It's an absolute blast.  Right now my biggest limitations are fitness level and experience.  I saw a few folks up on Baker with those and they seemed to be trucking along just fine.  

53 minutes ago, TeacherLori said:

Poor hummingbirds this morning, trying to get at that feeder. Need to take care of that right now!

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

First thing my wife did before even getting out toddler out of bed was make fresh hummer juice!

image.jpg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

Talking to my friend in Hot Springs Arkansas and he's saying how cold it is...I'm like really?  Then I looked up their forecast...haha it's colder than here.

Screenshot_2021-02-13 Zone Area Forecast for Clark County.png

The lowest temps I have ever experience was back in December 2013. Let's say our pipes froze in our old house. 12/6  was the snow event and it was a mess down here because it started to fall just an an hour before people start leaving work. We were supposed to leave for Eugene that day but I5 was a mess and we didn't.

image.png.1d03e967365dee884dc1cda8d993a76c.png

Just now, MWG said:

The lowest temps I have ever experience was back in December 2013. Let's say our pipes froze in our old house. 12/6  was the snow event and it was a mess down here because it started to fall just an an hour before people start leaving work. We were supposed to leave for Eugene that day but I5 was a mess and we didn't.

image.png.1d03e967365dee884dc1cda8d993a76c.png

Was so bummed I was in Texas and got entombed in ice during that stretch...

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic