The Weather Forums

• Meteorologist
5 minutes ago, HoodCanalBridge said:

Any idea on the impact to North Kitsap with this feature?  Been really quiet here the last few hours.

There's some returns coming from Victoria that may clip you guys as it moves to the SE

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

Upcoming pattern is pretty much ideal for accelerating the NPAC eastern boundary current and dropping the PDO/PMM indices.

Pretty sure it's over at my location, been quiet for a while. Temp up to 33 now, snow sliding off cars.

All in all, very happy that we got at least one snowstorm this winter! My husky-lab mix is thrilled and refuses to come in when I take her out.

mollysnow.jpg

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Eugene has always been a little south of many of the more impactful Portland/Seattle events. Just the nature of the beast since they're so far from the gorge. When there's more shallow, low level based arctic air like this it tends to lead to the crazier totals up north. 

So essentially no, we aren't part of any region. I feel like it's hard to understand the differences until one lives here. When I was younger I had no idea how different the weather was here until I came here for college. It really does feel like a tiny area that is its own, benign biome.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

This post makes me happy. 😁 The changing daylight is very noticeable now..an ominous sign that the season of evil is approaching. 

If we could trade places for a summer that would be awesome... You get the temperate, mild summer you've always dreamed of, I get thunderstorms on a regular basis. The summers are comfortable here, but absolutely dull for the vast majority of those four months, save for some cute nocturnal storms that last an hour or so once every month, if that.

• Like 2
Just now, Meatyorologist said:

If we could trade places for a summer that would be awesome... You get the temperate, mild summer you've always dreamed of, I get thunderstorms on a regular basis. The summers are comfortable here, but absolutely dull for the vast majority of those four months, save for some cute nocturnal storms that last an hour or so once every month, if that.

Climate change is changing that!

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Climate change is changing that!

Can confirm. Our warm and dry anomalies here have been staggering.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Up over a foot now!! 28.2 degrees. Incredible! 

4F632911-7D4F-4D34-A248-08D55A0A133F.jpeg

2B5D1C52-6D2B-42CD-B87E-66087AB2745F.jpeg

AB26A155-F1F9-4958-8365-FA25677C3A5E.jpeg

Starting to look like 2019 up there! 

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Just hit 11” currently snowing hard and 28 degrees. 

56A96CF5-C259-4C59-B94A-D5470FD99461.jpeg

5ADD2ECC-F09A-452E-9636-4CC5AB56C4B4.jpeg

It’s relentless!  Snowing hard here still.  Will get a measurement when this finishes.  Trees are beginning to sag  

Holy sh*t it’s not stopping. Nothing over on us radar the last 15 minutes and still heavy snow! Over 13” now this is absolutely unreal! 

• Like 5
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

So essentially no, we aren't part of any region. I feel like it's hard to understand the differences until one lives here. When I was younger I had no idea how different the weather was here until I came here for college. It really does feel like a tiny area that is its own, benign biome.

Sorry bud, you'll get hit again soon. Eugene is in fact pretty similar snow climo wise to Portland and Seattle, with the exception of having lower median snowfall and thus fewer events overall. Which means it's a little more feast or famine, but the averages are still close and when you get hit you tend to get hit hard. This was a roughly a once in a decade style event with such a sharp low level boundary (December 2008, January 1998, January 1980, December 1968).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jginmartini said:

It’s relentless!  Snowing hard here still.  Will get a measurement when this finishes.  Trees are beginning to sag  

There’s nothing over us on radar and it’s still dumping. Looks like it’s going to move in from the north too. This is getting very serious now! 30 degrees currently...might be another sub freezing high. 

Edited by TacomaWaWx
  • Excited 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

3 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

You had probably the most impactful winter storm in the last decade there two years ago.  Major highways closed for over a week.  Amtrak stuck in Oakridge for 36 hours.  Certainly comparable to what the Salem area saw last night.  Not sure I would call your microclimate "benign" - although the Gorge does predispose PDX to a certain kind of windy icy snow a bit more often. 

• Like 1

Tacoma and Olympia really won with this one. Thought for sure Kitsap would do better than 8", but I'm not complaining! Did the east wind screwhole not come to fruition after all?

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Starting to see bigger flakes here, still really coming down out there though!

Too windy to know how much we have up here lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Eugene seems like a place for those Californian transplants who dislike the rain, but also the unlivable heat of the desert SW (110+). I consider the Willamete Valley to be somewhat transitional w/ regards to Hadley cell climatology from north to south, with the south end (Eugene) representing more of a desert climate for 4-5 months out of the year, though whether this places it outside of our climate zone is debatable. Arguably, Eugene is the most accurate representation of a Mediterranean climate zone out of every major city in the PNW, with its warm and dry summers, and its mild, exceedingly rarely snowy winters. In Seattle during years with bad summers, they simply manifest an oceanic climate by definition.

Side note: I'm relieved to not have to ride the models every six hours. That s*** is stressful! Learned a lot from this community, really appreciate everyone's insight!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Not the best photo, but 8-10 inches seems like a safe bet. About 3-4 inches of compact snow in the roads 

FC73CA33-9FAB-42F3-8847-854FBC910BDF.jpeg

And to think, you let your shot at a beautiful 1,000 day record get ruined by rooting for that.

• lol 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

9 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Holy sh*t it’s not stopping. Nothing over on us radar the last 15 minutes and still heavy snow! Over 13” now this is absolutely unreal! 

I noticed that as well....I won’t question it! 

Working on 8" here. Still snowing a bit. Edmonds roads are better than Shorelines right now. 

• Like 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

1 minute ago, WeatherHustler said:

Can't remember which model it was, but the donut screwhole proged for this area came to fruition. We got maybe 2 inch here in Sammamish. 

That is crazy! I’m in north Redmond, on Education Hill, and we just passed 8”, and still snowing at a good clip.. 

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Just epic!! 
29.8 and snow still! 

E3A0ECC9-AE58-45B9-BBFB-9A29CA027836.jpeg

2E54A433-7F3E-439A-8DE1-0CE813DE6118.jpeg

Pretty crazy that the Portland area had epic snow and yet its wasn't too far south for you to have epic snow too! 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, WeatherHustler said:

Can't remember which model it was, but the donut screwhole proged for this area came to fruition. We got maybe 2 inch here in Sammamish. 

I feel your pain. We got screwed full frontal, sideways and upside down last week.

A38C3441-51ED-4770-9803-C38B953EF5C1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, luterra said:

You had probably the most impactful winter storm in the last decade there two years ago.  Major highways closed for over a week.  Amtrak stuck in Oakridge for 36 hours.  Certainly comparable to what the Salem area saw last night.  Not sure I would call your microclimate "benign" - although the Gorge does predispose PDX to a certain kind of windy icy snow a bit more often. 

I wish the dynamics of our events were studied a bit better. I feel like they aren't as focused on since there aren't as many people here so the nature of many of those types of events eludes me. And I don't understand what blowing snow or drifting is...I've never experienced it. Only wet snow like 2-25-19 (which was a very borderline setup).

Personal Stats:

Venmo

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Pretty crazy that the Portland area had epic snow and yet its wasn't too far south for you to have epic snow too! 

I ended up not being in the grey!! 🤣

• lol 2
23 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

It's the same when you are down here in Medford it has it's own microclimate. 

Got out to Winco and Safeway this morning. Grabbed some groceries for the neighbors. Only two registers open at Winco, but there was hardly anyone shopping. 

Stuck going up my driveway...dangit! Need some snow tires after all. Neighbors worked with me for 25 minutes to get it up to my unit. 

Have yet to see a snowflake bigger than pea sized. Still snowing now, albeit not that hard. My earlier measurement of 7'' may have been understated, as I'm seeing some less wind-blown parts around my development have probably 8-10''.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jmankitsap said:

Anyone in Everett know if it's freezing rain? Saw the observation at paine field is reporting freezing rain. Just curious. 

Bellingham airport has erroneously reported ZR a few times this winter.

It's called clown range for a reason.

23 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Same here. Under this right now and it's finally snowing decent. Wish it was like this last night 

Screenshot_20210213-123016_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MWG said:

It's the same when you are down here in Medford it has it's own microclimate. 

I've gotta think Roseburg is just about the worst "inland" spot for winter weather since it's technically an open river basin from the Cascades to the ocean, like the Rogue. They were close to or at 50F almost all day yesterday.

I would assume that since the Rogue has to go through that insane Kalmiopsis canyon that takes longer for marine air to move up through because it's more narrow and takes longer to get through than the Umpqua.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I’m ready to sing PGE’s graces because power is back on way ahead of schedule. Anyhow this storm left behind a royal mess, that’s for sure. Lots of problems across NW Oregon. SW Portland was lucky enough to get enough snow to make it pretty but avoiding most of the heavy ice. Unfortunately not the case most other places.

56F5ABAC-B3A8-42EF-80E9-28AC0B64AB7D.jpeg

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I've gotta think Roseburg is just about the worst "inland" spot for winter weather since it's technically an open river basin from the Cascades to the ocean. They were close to or at 50F almost all day yesterday.

Yes, that whole area till like Sutherlin is just awful during winter. 

24 minutes ago, tjb723 said:

Tacoma and Olympia really won with this one. Thought for sure Kitsap would do better than 8", but I'm not complaining! Did the east wind screwhole not come to fruition after all?

Yeah the models busted over here but it ended up spreading the snow to everyone which is better. Kitsap and the canal area will do good late tomorrow. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Yeah the models busted over here but it ended up spreading the snow to everyone which is better. Kitsap and the canal area will do good late tomorrow. 

Exactly like December 20th, 2008. 😎

Really very similar systems and tracks.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic