The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Absolute insanity here! Can’t post pics since no internet now and 1 bar of non 3g cell...But it’s puking snow and I probably have 1.5 feet now....

29.7 degrees 

Woah...and you were worried at one point!

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Absolute insanity here! Can’t post pics since no internet now and 1 bar of non 3g cell...But it’s puking snow and I probably have 1.5 feet now....

29.7 degrees 

Don't guess. Go check depth with measuring device and post pic later.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

29.7 degrees 

Radar has been yellow over Stanwood for awhile now, must be dumping! It's been coming down hard in Clearview as well, but nothing like up there. We only have around 7-8" here. 

I’m a bit embarrassed to have 9” of snow after my tantrum last night.  Still snowing and will be as long as moisture keeps rebuilding to the west. 
31 out there now.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a0ea73a88710a0c3a85c5558c2287ea.jpeg

• Like 1

Snow has quieted back down here now. Wind is wayyyy less noticeable, thankfully. Just a bit breezy occasionally. That surprise little spit of "regular" snow helped cover all the bare spots, cars, and just a skiff on trees.

Hoping this little band that developed near Bonney Lake will help us cover up a bit more. 

SmartSelect_20210213-135530_RadarScope.jpg

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

11 minutes ago, MossMan said:

29.7 degrees 

Almost comical how you nearly always get way more snow than any model shows.

Tim's hot girl summer.

9 minutes ago, MNoggle81 said:

Radar has been yellow over Stanwood for awhile now, must be dumping! It's been coming down hard in Clearview as well, but nothing like up there. We only have around 7-8" here. 

“Only”. What an awesome storm that 8” seems paltry to you!  Congrats!!  That’s a great total! :) 

Snow is insane here in Bellevue, probably 8 inches this morning, over a foot by this afternoon.

Hasn't really stopped, goes from light to moderate to light to moderate. With this afternoon snow the flakes have grown a bit, not those sloppy large flakes, but the medium, really sticky, legit snowflakes.

There is a good discussion about this on Twitter right now, showing the increased vertical lift is giving us the fluffier flakes.

There is no doubt that this storm over performed... fantastic. Also happy the East Puget Sound Lowlands are getting a good dump right now. 

• Snow 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

42 minutes ago, luterra said:

I had 13.8 in Jan 2017, maybe that counts??  It's borderline since I can get down in the 17-19 range with run-of-the-mill dry offshore flow in the winter, even with non-arctic air aloft.  I'd say back to December 2013, but then we had 8.8 in a real arctic airmass in December 2009, and 11 in December 2008.  Definitely has become less common of late, though with the decade-scale PDO oscillation we might return to a period when it is more common.

I like arctic air, but our house/plumbing isn't really built for it, and as a gardener it knocks out the artichokes and overwintering vegetable crops.  So I'm just as happy without it, but do like to get some snow :-).

PDX had 3 days of 29 and one low of 11 on January 2017. I don't know when the last teen high would have been

This storm proves even at 12hrs away how crude the models still are. If lastnight anyone said the east side would  out perform the kitsap peninsula in a offshore flow situation you'd get laughed at but it happened.  Randy is going to be the biggest total in the end unless I can pull off a classic hood canal special Sunday night.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

Where is Jim? I hope he got a lot of snow. Seems like he should be posting.  Anyone else have a report from Covington?

He messaged saying he was loving the little surprise snow we just got and he has on average 4.3 inches with a 6 inch drift but it's really hard to measure cause it's all over the place. 

Assuming he's fairly similar to my boat. Happy we got something, but also fairly frustrated at the same time. This extra snow now is helping though.

I finally have a coating on my deck! I can look out and see snow now. Woohoo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

As long as the back side of this system holds up, I should be able to squeeze another hour of moderate snow out of this band. What a score!

Also should end the day with a sub freezing high. Those are rare in the Puget Sound nowadays.

I still find it really strange that I only got about 3 inches total at 390 feet here. Seems like the east wind didn’t do too much damage to some areas but close to the 410 gap here between Sumner/Puyallup it seemed to almost completely wipe out the accumulation. Seems weird to see such high totals elsewhere, and even driving just a few miles away it was still dumping.

5 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

I still find it really strange that I only got about 3 inches total at 390 feet here. Seems like the east wind didn’t do too much damage to some areas but close to the 410 gap here between Sumner/Puyallup it seemed to almost completely wipe out the accumulation. Seems weird to see such high totals elsewhere, and even driving just a few miles away it was still dumping.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still loving it. But my kids and I both are a little jealous of all the totals elsewhere. Definitely 2-3 inches here.

F5E12B6B-3497-446F-BE66-2EEB31A03FF4.jpeg

Moderate rain with some sunbreaks. 52F.

• Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Heavy snow in Everett. I’ll be curious to figure out why the radar has been a bit weird with precip. Multiple reports of heavy snow and the echos don’t reflect that. The only think I can think of is that snow eats the echo and occluded things behind it.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1
Just now, The Blob said:

PDX is still 29 at the last hour check

23F temp gradient. Let's see how long we can hold onto that. I'm curious as to what the record is?

Personal Stats:

Venmo

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

Heavy snow in Everett. I’ll be curious to figure out why the radar has been a bit weird with precip. Multiple reports of heavy snow and the echos don’t reflect that. The only think I can think of is that snow eats the echo and occluded things behind it.

It's like a low slung marine layer we get sometimes when it rains but not on radar I'd say.

Ice is pretty much melted or has finished falling from what's left of the trees around the property. Just about time to survey the the damage to the fences.

It was way too dangerous earlier with limbs and ice still coming down.

I did drive around West Salem and I can assure you the damage you may see on the news, is understated

Looks like an Arctic boundary has set up between Tacoma and Seattle.  I'm on the good side of it and it's snowing pretty hard.  I've had about 4.8" for the event and 0.5" of that is from this atypical C-Zone.

While I got less snow that places south of here I'm enjoying my current temp of 29!  I see many places SW of here are running in the upper 30s to low 40s with dew points above freezing.

Looks like northern areas managed to be big winners again.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

14 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Radar is blossoming over Seattle area again. Have to think SEA has gone over 7" on the day and cracked the top 10 snowstorm days.

I think Sea-Tac had 8" over an hour ago.

Yeah at 9:53am they showed 8" and have had .09" precip since

4 minutes ago, The Blob said:

Record for what? I need something to dig into

Sharpest temp gradient between EUG and PDX for the longest amount of time.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like an Arctic boundary has set up between Tacoma and Seattle.  I'm on the good side of it and it's snowing pretty hard.  I've had about 4.8" for the event and 0.5" of that is from this atypical C-Zone.

While I got less snow that places south of here I'm enjoying my current temp of 29!  I see many places SW of here are running in the upper 30s to low 40s with dew points above freezing.

Looks like northern areas managed to be big winners again.

Temp here has just shot all the way up to 36. I think you’re right about the Arctic boundary.

7" and still coming down. It’s warmed up to 29˚F and is less windy. Snow is falling in larger flakes now, sometimes gently, sometimes hard. Enough solar radiation is coming in through the overcast that it’s starting to melt on parked cars, despite the subfreezing temperature.

I don’t know what the NWS was thinking when they forecast 1–3" despite both the Euro and the GFS calling for more like 6–8" here.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

Temp here has just shot all the way up to 36. I think you’re right about the Arctic boundary.

They are amazing when they set up. Just dumping here now with a cold easterly breeze.  I swear that east wind can go from enemy to friend in the blink of an eye.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I think I'm going to pull off another sub freezing high today.  This has worked out pretty good after all.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic