The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Radar is looking suddenly looking a bit better! Seems returns are intensifying.

Dumping here and stacking up quickly. Love love love. Hoping this can keep up a bit longer. 

I can already see a big difference here.  Much whiter overall.  I think the ECMWF picked up on this convergence feature at least to some extent.  I'm pretty blown away at how it has developed over the last hour especially.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I think I'm going to pull off another sub freezing high today.  This has worked out pretty good after all.

Has been a nutty setup.  Bizarre to see a shadow off the Olympics.  In fact I believe at a certain level the westerly flow was so strong it ate away the benefits off the offshore flow.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Almost 10" on top of Finn Hill in north Kirkland. Snowing the hardest Ive seen all day.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

Wondering if that snow to the east of here might move over this way a little more. It’s pretty darn close. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Has been a nutty setup.  Bizarre to see a shadow off the Olympics.  In fact I believe at a certain level the westerly flow was so strong it ate away the benefits off the offshore flow.

This is the strangest progression I've ever witnessed quite frankly.  The agonizingly slow setup to build the tremendous cold air mass over North American and then the huge upper level pattern change to deliver the goods.  The only reason this all worked out so well was because of the insane nature of the NA Arctic airmass.  That thing was / is a beast.  Such gigantic cold air masses are why we used to score so much more easily in this region.  Hopefully this is a sign they are making a comeback.  Smaller cold air masses require so many things to go perfectly to work out.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, Geos said:

Almost 10" on top of Finn Hill in north Kirkland. Snowing the hardest Ive seen all day.

I used to live there.  Great place for snow in many cases.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, Khoine said:

How are the GFS and Euro for tomorrow?  Rain snow mixed

Very close call.  The ECMWF has been giving the Central Puget Sound at least some snow on every run.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This is the strangest progression I've ever witnessed quite frankly.  The agonizingly slow setup to build the tremendous cold air mass over North American and then the huge upper level pattern change to deliver the goods.  The only reason this all worked out so well was because of the insane nature of the NA Arctic airmass.  That thing was / is a beast.  Such gigantic cold air masses are why we used to score so much more easily in this region.  Hopefully this is a sign they are making a comeback.  Smaller cold air masses require so many things to go perfectly to work out.

This is exactly why I'm worried for us down here. The type of airmass you're experiencing feels way more ephemeral and less frequent down this way than it used to. I'm concerned with that trend and it seems that these big league Arctic airmasses are petering out further north anymore and this part of the region will ultimately become a place of forgotten winters in the next 50 years.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

It's going to take some time to run the numbers, but there is a chance this could be the best two days regionally from Portland to Bellingham of this century.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yes, but some of that fell before midnight.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that.  That's gonna make a big difference since they showed 5" at 3:53 am and much of that was definitely before midnight.  How does it look for snowfall in any 24 hour period haha?

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

This is exactly why I'm worried for us down here. These types of airmasses feel way more ephemeral and less frequent down this way than they used to.

This one just happened to be very broad and spread out across the northern tier.  Sometimes they end being more Western US or Eastern US centric.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

It's going to take some time to run the numbers, but there is a chance this could be the best two days regionally from Portland to Bellingham of this century.

Shouldn’t be hard. Only real competition is December 2008.

It's called clown range for a reason.

I can't believe how nice this latest round is turning out here.  Still snowing really good.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I will be surprised for Seattle area at least, If this multi-day snow event can beat 2019. I had about 14 inches when it was all over in 2019. Right now I’d guess it’s about 8 inches or so where I am. Again, that’s just for Seattle.

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This one just happened to be very broad and spread out across the northern tier.  Sometimes they end being more Western US or Eastern US centric.

Like I said, I feel like the western-centric ones are becoming less frequent as the trends have shown our access to worthwhile Arctic air continues to be depleted down this way.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Shouldn’t be hard. Only real competition is December 2008.

I'm not totally sure how things went for other areas in Feb 2019.  That would be the only other one I can think of.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, snowbustcity said:

I will be surprised for Seattle area at least, If this multi-day snow event can beat 2019. I had about 14 inches when it was all over in 2019. Right now I’d guess it’s about 8 inches or so where I am. Again, that’s just for Seattle.

Yeah...I was only referring to regional.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

25 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

They are amazing when they set up. Just dumping here now with a cold easterly breeze.  I swear that east wind can go from enemy to friend in the blink of an eye.

Yup dumping heavy snow in maple valley!!!

10 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Radar looking promising for an evening round of action around Portland. Could start as a mix but should transition over to snow for most of us.

Fingers crossed.

I ended up with about 4-5 inches overnight. No complaints even though it didn't live up to the crazy snow maps. An inch of snow, a layer of ice, sleet on top and then a few inches of snow. A fun event with lots of interesting pieces to it.

BTW, looking at property on the WA side of the border in the coming year. Snowfall/microclimate will be a factor for me of course, what is the snowiest and most interesting spot on that side which isn't completely in the middle of no where? Camas and Cascade foot hills?

• Like 1
Just now, Khoine said:

1996, 2008; 2019 were much better snow cold than this event.  1996 - 28 inches snow, 2008 30 inches, 2019 22 inches, 2021 9 inches

I know.  We talk a lot about regional events on here also.  This one is impressive in the huge stretch of the I-5 corridor that was hit hard.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, SnowChild said:

Yup dumping heavy snow in maple valley!!!

I'm really liking this extra round.  Way less wind and everything is getting covered nicely.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Talk about an example of when the east wind is good!  Well below freezing and probably an inch of new snow out of this latest burst.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

10 minutes ago, snowbustcity said:

Yeah. In my neck of the woods, I had probably about 10” in 2019. I’m currently sitting at 3 and it looks about done.

For those places that went above freezing... the ECMWF temp loop shows temps will back below freezing in the next couple hours and the snow in in EPSL will continue in spurts until maybe 7 p.m.   

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, PuyallupChris said:

Yeah. In my neck of the woods, I had probably about 10” in 2019. I’m currently sitting at 3 and it looks about done.

Man that’s crazy you said it warmed up too? 32 here with 13” on the ground. Looks like the warm air line is about 10-15 miles south and kind of stalled there. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

For those places that went above freezing... the ECMWF temp loop shows temps will back below freezing in the next couple hours and the snow in in EPSL will continue in spurts until maybe 7 p.m.   

Yeah it’s very interesting I’m just barely in the cold sector but down past JBLM puyallup and graham it’s 35-37 but nice to hear it’ll cool down to the south soon. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

4 minutes ago, Khoine said:

Radar shows moisture building back East to west.  PSCZ?

Yeah this is interesting to watch. The flakes are medium to big here. Might get to a foot after all!

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

2 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Fingers crossed.

I ended up with about 4-5 inches overnight. No complaints even though it didn't live up to the crazy snow maps. An inch of snow, a layer of ice, sleet on top and then a few inches of snow. A fun event with lots of interesting pieces to it.

BTW, looking at property on the WA side of the border in the coming year. Snowfall/microclimate will be a factor for me of course, what is the snowiest and most interesting spot on that side which isn't completely in the middle of no where? Camas and Cascade foot hills?

Prune Hill is a nice accessible neighborhood that gets up to 750'and tends to do well. There are other nearby areas right outside Camas and Washougal that are higher as well.

I tend to prefer the west side of the county for winter weather because when temps aren't marginal we often do better, and I like not having the constant wind to disrupt the snow. Ridgefield is growing explosively fast towards the freeway, fastest in the state, but it's a nice option for benefitting from the gorge without feeling too close to it. As is the Salmon Creek/Fairgrounds area.

Depending on your willingness to commute, Yacolt is another option in the foothills. Not much there but it's a small incorporated city and is a pretty reasonable drive from Battle Ground and sits at 600'.

• Like 1
  • iFred locked and unpinned this topic