The Weather Forums

2 minutes ago, MNoggle81 said:

Definitely being sarcastic. Off by 7-8" and counting in Clearview. 

Cliff Mass is a smart guy, but he often lets his emotional attachments get in the way of objective analysis. It really wasn’t very smart to rely so much on the WRF when both the Euro and GFS were saying quite contrary things for many areas. My experience has been that when both Euro and GFS agree on something, they are almost always right.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

And I will stop posting maps there... no one wants to see the temps by Monday morning.

• Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Man, this is just WILD. I am the circle right on this boundary, and I can practically see snow falling behind my greenbelt... but nothing above me. Still sitting at 3 inches and the maps for tomorrow are still showing a hole pretty close to me over east pierce county.

I’d LOVE to know more about how and why this is happening. Kept hearing about how the foothills could get skunked, but the north foothills ended up scoring anyway. Over in Enumclaw and Buckley they’re still getting it too. I am confused and complaining. I demand answers! 

4D5AA88F-AFEA-4E79-801E-E92778B3675E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Cliff Mass is a smart guy, but he often lets his emotional attachments get in the way of objective analysis. It really wasn’t very smart to rely so much on the WRF when both the Euro and GFS were saying quite contrary things for many areas. My experience has been that when both Euro and GFS agree on something, they are almost always right.

If I remember correct, he did the exact same thing with the snow last January. Didn't even mention the gfs/euro that were calling for snow, only the WRF. Same results...

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

And I will stop posting maps there... no one wants to see the temps by Monday morning.

I do!

• Like 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

35 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

Yeah it feels REALLY weird to me. Currently at 37 here, no snow. Getting a little melt. Like I’m in some kind of dead zone between the north and south. And the east and west, haha. Very strange event for me. 

8A1913A3-3F1D-414D-B833-EA37D739BE60.png

Why it is called the "swamp" ;) 

• lol 1

I’ll be damned if these seizures aren’t as relentless as the southerly wind grip here 😔

I hope y’all are having a better day than me. College hoops is helping.

• Sad 4

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Coming down good in Des Moines 

Wow... you seem to drive all over the region every day.    Is that for work?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, SeanNyberg said:

I do!

Will have to do through PM.    I can only post maps through Sunday evening based on what I am seeing.  

• lol 1

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z ECMWF coming out... here the total snow between 4 p.m. (now) and 4 a.m. tomorrow.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3304000.png

Amounts for my area are not believable. It’s still snowing lightly, and radar shows quite a bit of echoes moving slowly my way. I bet I pick up another inch or so.

• Like 2

Just now, TheNewCulverJosh said:

This whole event just shows that computer modeling has a long ways to go.  That being said, they did a pretty good job over here overall.

I think the better models (i.e. Euro and GFS) did quite well. Once it got within a few days, they both converged on the same general story, which turned out to be a pretty accurate forecast.

• Like 1

Moderate snow moved north, now just light snow again. Wondering if this band is going to wander around for a bit tonight. 

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Amounts for my area are not believable. It’s still snowing lightly, and radar shows quite a bit of echoes moving slowly my way. I bet I pick up another inch or so.

Could be a little off on timing?   But probably understated.   That being said... the precip down here seems to be fading and visibility is improving.   

I have doubled my total from 5" to 10" since 9:00 am.  More than half of that has been from the residual convergence going on since around 2:00 pm.  Still snowing and looks to continue for awhile.  Crazy good.  Currently 30 after a high of 32 and a low of 27.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
3 minutes ago, Acer said:

I have doubled my total from 5" to 10" since 9:00 am.  More than half of that has been from the residual convergence going on since around 2:00 pm.  Still snowing and looks to continue for awhile.  Crazy good.  Currently 30 after a high of 32 and a low of 27.

So going into weenie mode earlier about getting gypped worked!

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Snow boarding at Snoqualmie Pass!! I tend to drive a lot😂😂

Ahhh yes... I remember you saying you were going up there to snowboard.

• Like 1

Just now, Acer said:

It never fails me!☺️

It also worked for Chris and Mossman!

Come to think of it, it worked for me in 2018. I went into full weenie mode on the evening of the 8th due to being dry-slotted. Went to bed at midnight and it promptly started dumping.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

That is a ton of precip heading straight into Portland from the west.   What is the situation down there?   I have given up trying to figure out what will happen there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

And you’re so close to the fun zone, too. That’s gotta be at least somewhat frustrating.

Yup. Im actually in Bellingham now for a "Get Away From The Kids" weekend stay-cation. By eye-ball, there's at least 6 inches here. I had MAYBE a quarter-inch when I left the house.

I'm mostly kidding about being bitter. I wasnt expecting anything. But I am hoping that I can pull off the same Weenie-mode whining miracle that others got.

• Like 6

The radar says it won't last much longer, but a nice afternoon surprise 1.5" or so.  Currently a chilly 28 degrees.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is a ton of precip heading straight into Portland from the west.   What is the situation down there?   I have given up trying to figure out what will happen there.

Looks like something should be falling here any minute 

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Shawn344 said:

Do you think that band right below Everett will move north and merge with the band around snohomish county? 

I'm not sure. You're best bet would be to monitor the radar imagery. Surface wind streams reveal and axis of convergence is located over the southern Sound which favors precipitation to the north it where there's still upper level divergence.

Great discussion out of Seattle NWS for tomorrow.  Lots of uncertainty for the puget sound on precip type and amounts.  1-3 inches look real easy for most places. 

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

There's a bit of a warm layer up around 900mb, but it should erode under steady enough precip. Portland-Vancouver look good for another round of snow this evening and then a final one tomorrow morning. Likely will be a mix over the south suburbs again.

1 minute ago, snowbustcity said:

It’s not stopped snowing since last night, but i have only managed to accumulate 2 inches today total. A lot of the snow today was heavy snow. Seems odd. Anyone else have that?

Yup, I have been complaining about it all day. It snowed straight until 2 or 3 pm but almost no accumulation. Now it’s done, maybe for the whole event. Downright strange to be in this twilight zone of a major event.

The 18z ECMWF is actually decent on low temps early next week with 33, 31, 32 Monday through Wednesday, and highs low to mid 40s.  The freezing nights will make the snow crusty and hard to melt.  Glad to see it a bit colder than earlier runs.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic