The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Great discussion out of Seattle NWS for tomorrow.  Lots of uncertainty for the puget sound on precip type and amounts.  1-3 inches look real easy for most places. 

I wish it looked like a good ol fashioned transition event, been a long time for one of those.

• Like 1

This is good news tonight for us in EPSL. 

“some areas of snowfall, mainly east of Puget Sound
continue to become enhanced within broad bands. These appear to be
associated with areas of deformation on the NE side of the surface
low, although SPC mesoanalysis is also picking up some decent WAA
at 700mb along with some PVA associated with loosely organized
upper trough as it moves into the area. Snow is likely to become
moderate to locally heavy at times within these broad bands and
there will exist the potential for some quick additional
accumulations of up to 1-2".”
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Eugene seems like a place for those Californian transplants who dislike the rain, but also the unlivable heat of the desert SW (110+). I consider the Willamete Valley to be somewhat transitional w/ regards to Hadley cell climatology from north to south, with the south end (Eugene) representing more of a desert climate for 4-5 months out of the year, though whether this places it outside of our climate zone is debatable. Arguably, Eugene is the most accurate representation of a Mediterranean climate zone out of every major city in the PNW, with its warm and dry summers, and its mild, exceedingly rarely snowy winters. In Seattle during years with bad summers, they simply manifest an oceanic climate by definition.

Really things start to change south of the 44th parallel. # of rain days per year goes down (which also means droughts hit harder), average temps go up and precip goes down, and vegetation changes. South of Sexton Summit, the floristic province is the same as that of northern to central CA, and seeing clouds in the sky becomes a rare occurrence from mid-June to late September. A lot of this is attributable to geography (the Siskiyous are much higher than the Oregon Coast Range), but the Hadley Cell also plays into it.

East of the Cascades it's more of a geographical thing. The Great Basin begins at Paulina Peak and southern Deschutes County (Sunriver/La Pine), despite still being in the Columbia basin, is on a forested and notably wetter high plateau more similar to the Klamath Basin or NE California than the lower-elevation and barren areas to the north, and it's a bit more subtle but if you compare average high temps north and south of Lava Butte / Paulina Peak (particularly in the warm season) there is actually a pretty notable jump once you factor in elevation. The lows are still lower, however, and this causes this region to have very high diurnal ranges in the warm season.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

Still dumping here. The intense banding the last few hours has been a great surprise!

It made a big difference for sure.  Looks really good out there now.  If we get the 1.5" the ECMWF shows tomorrow that will be a really nice bunch of snow.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

4 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

Yup, I have been complaining about it all day. It snowed straight until 2 or 3 pm but almost no accumulation. Now it’s done, maybe for the whole event. Downright strange to be in this twilight zone of a major event.

My snow stopped around 9 a.m. and we were supposed to get the worst of it, but I'm seeing some of the eastern foothills coming in with higher totals. I got 8" and that's fine by me!

Still 29 degrees in North Bend... it looked like that band was heading straight north into this area but just fell apart and focused over Seattle instead.   Sky is much brighter now and I can see patches of blue.

Screenshot_20210213-163943_Chrome.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Had some afternoon melting today with a high of 34. Everything is still ice covered though because it was so thicccc from last night. Already down to 32, so should get slick out there again. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Geos said:

Moderate snow moved north, now just light snow again. Wondering if this band is going to wander around for a bit tonight. 

Looks like it's coming in batches. Snow picked up here, and I'm immediately to your south. I think the latest forecast discussion from NWS projects additional accumulations of 1-2" from these bands.

We have about a foot of snow here in Pinehurst, just north of Northgate.

Looks like Bremerton had about .45 tenths of water. Freaking snow to water ratio was 20.1. This would of been a possible 24hr record snow here if things would of went differently. I remember the euro showed like 1.42 of water.  

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Light snow or a mix starting here. Wasn’t expecting that. 33 degrees. 

Yes, snowing moderately here again after a break for a while today.  Such an amazing event!

Just now, Fircrest said:

Yes, snowing moderately here again after a break for a while today.  Such an amazing event!

Not even showing on radar. Just blew up out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

Snowing hard again after a lull the last couple hours. Officially a 32/25 day very slight drippage but snows still 100% in tact. 

• Snow 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

Just now, austinwright31 said:

Snowing again down here also, and it's rather heavy. Normal W WA snow, not that fluffy stuff we had last night.

Awesome! The fact you guys are getting precip is a good sign for up here. Radar makes it seems like we are on the edge in Seattle

6 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Not even showing on radar. Just blew up out of nowhere. 

Yeah barely anything on radar here but snows coming in hard. Looks like it’s snowing in Olympia too so looks like we’re in for it again!

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

• Meteorologist
11 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looks like Bremerton had about .45 tenths of water. Freaking snow to water ratio was 20.1. This would of been a possible 24hr record snow here if things would of went differently. I remember the euro showed like 1.42 of water.  

Hopefully this makes more believers of the Kuchera ratio.

• Like 4

Hopefully when this is all done tonight we will get that classic post snowstorm cold freezing night. I always like the lull in between two snows when it’s all cold and snowy on the ground and more snow to come 

Wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up another couple inches of snow and made a run at 14-15” on the ground...and 10-11” since midnight. 

• Snow 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

04ADE307-262B-47E8-BE39-3196B20529D0.jpeg

3317EEC2-D884-49B7-A60A-641BAA8ECA69.jpeg

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

7 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up another couple inches of snow and made a run at 14-15” on the ground...and 10-11” since midnight. 

Amazing.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Okay Snowmizer! I did a measurement on my recycle bin and I am at 14” so my eyeball measurement was a little high! 
Still snowing and 28.2 degrees.

High of 29.8 Low 25.2

DP 27. 
Almost to 24hrs straight of snowfall! What an event it has been!! 

• Like 3
  • Troll 1
2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Okay Snowmizer! I did a measurement on my recycle bin and I am at 14” so my eyeball measurement was a little high! 

High of 29.8 Low 25.2

DP 27. 

We’re almost tied on snow! So much for this not being a major storm for almost everyone in western WA. Just dumping snow here again. 

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

Just got back from a walk down to the waterfront. Probably ended up with closer to 6" of snow here I'd say. Really hard to measure. Saw a few cars getting stuck on side streets but plenty of helpful people to push them out. Bunch of skiers including a guy who had his 2 dogs pulling him on his skis. That's Portland for ya. Hoping we can squeeze something out of this approaching moisture.image.thumb.png.e1c3c177cad6ce33088e8154235afa17.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Amazing.

They had a little less at the waterfront but had an amazing opportunity to go and take some photos with the break in the snowfall this afternoon. 

BD42CB98-6A59-4634-AB4B-EF602A68D7EA.jpeg

261F3FE4-A446-4425-9932-03DFE7527ED0.jpeg

6753AA72-3251-433D-BDC4-6C4F551B5295.jpeg

• Like 5

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

High of 29.8 Low 25.2

DP 27. 

Awesome!! So most of this fell during the day today?

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

They had a little less at the waterfront but had an amazing opportunity to go and take some photos with the break in the snowfall this afternoon. 

BD42CB98-6A59-4634-AB4B-EF602A68D7EA.jpeg

261F3FE4-A446-4425-9932-03DFE7527ED0.jpeg

6753AA72-3251-433D-BDC4-6C4F551B5295.jpeg

Snow on the pilings!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Snowing here again, sure those in Vancouver and ridgefield are gonna hit.

Just had a light shower of freezing rain and sleet a bit ago. Hoping the bigger bunch coming is snow.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Shawn344 said:

Hopefully when this is all done tonight we will get that classic post snowstorm cold freezing night. I always like the lull in between two snows when it’s all cold and snowy on the ground and more snow to come 

Really depends on whether or not it clears off.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Ended up with 11-12 inches of snow on the ground all told. It's been an awesome night and day of snow walks and sledding. Another 1-3 to freshen things up tonight would be a perfect cap off to this incredible event. 

A 28/22 spread today making for my second consecutive sub-30 high. Yesterday ended up a 27/22 and Thursday was a 37/27. Tomorrow could once again struggle to hit freezing before the thaw starts on Monday.

Remember when Jim was talking about a couple day's of sub freezing highs and you said.. Jim stop.. Haha you really did awesome down there.

• lol 2

The snow in central and east king county is crazy relentless, the radar is getting some of it, but it just doesn’t stop.

Not complaining at all!! I am just astonished. This is so rare it is nuts. 

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Wouldn’t be surprised if we had 18” of snow on the ground by the time this finally changes to rain...wondering if we’re going to get any freezing rain before the transition. We had 20” of snow at the end of February 2019. Going to be some major flooding issues early this upcoming week. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic