The Weather Forums

Part II: February 2021 PacNW

That low off the coast stays out there till Tuesday morning.  Hard for to imagine us getting much of an onshore flow until that low moves inland.  There is also a small high in southwest eastern Washington that should help too. I think this stays snow for Puget sound into Monday morning at least. 

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

GFS updating now... here is total snow through tomorrow afternoon.    It basically showing freezing rain.

gfs-deterministic-washington-total_snow_10to1-3433600 (2).png

gfs-deterministic-washington-frzr_total-3433600.png

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

GFS is not updating on WB.

Thanks anyhow. Looking at the precip maps on Tropical Tidbits, looks like it's going for a prolonged sloppy transition period for Whatcom County. Lots of shifting back and forth between cold rain and wet snow. And quite a bit of ice for the East Puget Sound Lowlands.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yikes. Major ice storm for epsl.

I am not familiar with ice accumulations since we never get that up here...Looks like I have a .11 near my area...Does that accumulation cause damage? 

Just now, MossMan said:

I am not familiar with ice accumulations since we never get that up here...Looks like I have a .11 near my area...Does that accumulation cause damage? 

In my experience, any amount of ice—especially with snow still on the trees—can start to bring down branches. And any amount makes driving absolutely treacherous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I think it takes more than .25 to cause problems... but I am not sure.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Minor branches start to succumb to the weight, real major damage begins around 0.20+ and up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colt said:

My mom said it will be rain by 11 so enjoy, her main source is the weather app. 

Well that and the fact she is Mom, and Moms are always right, even when they are not!  😆

• Like 1
  • lol 1

10 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

In my experience, any amount of ice—especially with snow still on the trees—can start to bring down branches. And any amount makes driving absolutely treacherous.

OTOH, .11" of ice is about 1.1" of snow at the standard ratio. If an extra inch of snow seems unlikely to inflict major tree damage, I wouldn’t worry about a little bit of ice.

And the Euro says otherwise, anyhow.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Snowing at a pretty decent clip now with the occasional easterly breeze. Can't rank on the east winds today since they are actually what will help us stay cooler longer than other places but just hoping it's more of a slow trickle and not raging gusts like before. 06z Euro shows they are pretty constant through the day but never getting much above 30mph. Both good things.

• Like 4

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

6 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Decent shower coming through looks like we have finallY made the switch to a sleet/zr mix. That’s probably it for snow, hopefully we can avoid damaging ice. 27f

Precip looks pretty sparse so I think we will. Managed another 1.5" overnight to give me an event total of 15.5". Depth peaked around 12.5". Pretty fantastic, and getting out of that with no significant ZR will just be an added bonus.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I forgot to clear off my measuring area last night before I went to bed. I laid down to relax but I was out like a light almost instantly - a week's worth of no sleep finally caught up to me. I'd say we had about an inch or a little less fall so far this morning but will only know true amount from starting around 8:15AM. Temp holding steady at 28.

A little surprised the WWA doesn't start till noon given how it's snowing right now. Might be up for an overperformance. 

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

• Meteorologist

Will be interesting to see how long we can stay snow today with those winds still coming out of an easterly direction. Yesterday’s models showed us hanging on to snow till late in the afternoon. The ECMWF show 2.5-3 in. here. Temperature currently 30F.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wxmet said:

Will be interesting to see how long we can stay snow today with those winds still coming out of an easterly direction. Yesterday’s models showed us hanging on to snow till late in the afternoon. The ECMWF show 2.5-3 in. here. Temperature currently 30F.

Are you Joe Zagrodnik?

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Typical western Wa flakes coming down now and bigly! Looks like the powder snow days are over. 

This is definitely more of the 'usual' Seattle snowfall, 32 degrees and 1-3 inches before a switch over to rain.

• Like 1

Just now, PuyallupChris said:

Can confirm wintry mix right here. Expected snow to last longer. Still 30 degrees but precip is starting to get weird. Getting suspicious of ZR incoming.

1C8B0E73-1F8B-425A-A76C-3B9D7D023B4A.jpeg

I am noticing that it looks different than yesterday on cams around the Seattle area and down to Olympia under those bands of precip.     I am getting more concerned about a widespread ZR event.  

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I am noticing that it looks different than yesterday on cams around the Seattle area and down to Olympia under those bands of precip.     I am getting more concerned about a widespread ZR event.  

Full on snow here in Seattle, no sleet/zr at all, east wind gusting over 10mph as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBolin said:

Full on snow here in Seattle, no sleet/zr at all, east wind gusting over 10mph as well

Yeah heavy snow here in Tacoma currently 30 with a DP of 29. Light NE wind. 

• Like 1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-26

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic