The Weather Forums

It’s always a little sad to see the snow go but I also wouldn’t really want it to stick around forever. After a few days it gets kinda ugly and brown and can be a pain to commute through. February 2019 was fun but it went on for a long time even after it warmed up it just kept freezing at night and the side roads were impassable for 5 to 7 more days roughly. One of the things that makes snow so enjoyable here is that it’s not a consistent visitor...if it was wouldn’t be nearly as much fun. 

• Like 2

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

I’ll take the 2 ft up here the gem is showing 😂 image.jpeg.b2c438d8e0f1d0217064e327400826ef.jpeg

Holy cow! Another 4" today...

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

I picked up 3/4 inch from that latest shot that came through.  Hoping the wall of east winds will delay the changeover here.  Currently 30 degrees.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Up to 32 here...don’t think the snows going to keep up all day here despite light offshore wind. Wouldn’t be surprised if we manage to pick up another inch before the transition maybe 2. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

33 and snowing lightly, off and on but the telltale signs of impending doom are here.  For the first time snow is falling off a few tree limbs and the snow is wet not floating down as slowly. Time to eat breakfast and go sledding before it starts raining.  Just now all the snow slid off the green house in several big slides.  Living in the woods I always worry about those trees that are loaded falling on the garage or something else.  I can see a few leaners out there.

3 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

The areas hurt by the east wind so far may very well experience their highest totals through tomorrow. image.thumb.png.6469f7fe9d027ce1727a135cc832f5f3.png

This map makes sense if the east winds are going to continue into the night. Almost up to 30* here. 

Weather station/wx cam:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

20 minutes ago, Andrew M said:

25.9 degrees here this morning, the cold air is really trying hard to hang on, this afternoon and evening could get real interesting from here east.

Yeah, starting to get a little nervous about that myself.  Currently 27.1 and a light east wind; DP 25.  We've been mostly snow so far with the exception of Friday early evening (SE Portland at about 300') but have family and friends in south metro and they've been without power since late Friday night.  Most have been told Monday at the earliest for power to be restored.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Thurston Howell III said:

33 and snowing lightly, off and on but the telltale signs of impending doom are here.  For the first time snow is falling off a few tree limbs and the snow is wet not floating down as slowly. Time to eat breakfast and go sledding before it starts raining.  Just now all the snow slid off the green house in several big slides.  Living in the woods I always worry about those trees that are loaded falling on the garage or something else.  I can see a few leaners out there.

All the snow blew off the trees here so this area is good to go.  May get some ice here though, but it shouldn't be too much.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Holding at 28 degrees here this morning after a low of 26, with offshore flow continuing. Picked up another half inch to inch of snow last night through this morning bringing the storm total to just over 12" since Thursday.

Seems it has changed back to sleet/zr in the last half hour or so. Hopefully we can avoid a bad ice storm out here. With temps still well below freezing and an east wind continuing through today we will see.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Reason number infinity to not trust your weather app: Mill Creek holding firm at 30 degrees. It was supposed to be 32 already if my app is to be believed. Cold yet again outperforming.

Upcoming 5 days should bring a ton of mountain snow to the passes at least. They got a bit shortchanged with the dry January, but snow levels have been building to a very healthy level. 

• Like 1

Snow picking up here in Kingston again. Temp is 31.8, DP of 31.1. Closer to the water though, I'm seeing 34' readings. I thought for sure we'd bump up and change to rain after breaks in the precip, but maybe not yet.

Up to 46F after a midnight low of 43F. Occasional shower but otherwise just cloudy.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

Snow totals here so far. 

Wednesday 1.25”

friday/Saturday  12”

Sunday so far. 2.25”

I'm surprised you got so much on Wednesday, it snowed all day here Wednesday, but there was only a dusting on the ground at the end of the day. Otherwise, those totals are similar to here. Up to about 2" on the day so far. I'm sure you'll end up with much more at the end of this as it'll be slower to transition up there. Currently 32F with tons of tiny flakes falling. It's a much wetter snow and sticking to everything today.

rZ2OFOb.jpg

It’s started raining pretty hard here, what little snow was on the trees has mostly slopped off. 34 degrees and rising, and looks like it’ll be pretty rainy throughout the day. Think the event is officially over, at least in my neck of the woods. 

10 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Up to 46F after a midnight low of 43F. Occasional shower but otherwise just cloudy.

At the moment is 41 degrees and the low was 34 which I'm surprise. Light rain probably will be on and off the whole day. Looks like we aren't going to see any break on rain till Tuesday night into Wednesday and we will be back to more rain Wednesday night. 

So far for us this month. 

image.png.44a35502ee535663a3037ca33c893481.png

• Like 1

Still have light dry snow falling here.  East wind is doing it's work so far.  

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Not sure why NWS Portland has issued an ice storm warning but that’s strange ig 

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

It’s started raining pretty hard here, what little snow was on the trees has mostly slopped off. 34 degrees and rising, and looks like it’ll be pretty rainy throughout the day. Think the event is officially over, at least in my neck of the woods. 

I'm down the road in the swamp valley and it's moderate rain.  Sucks.

Can we ever get a nice dump of snow and then an arctic front to sweep through with cold clearing skies and beautiful sun for a few days?

Snow and then rain and then slop.

• Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, ..... said:

Can we ever get a nice dump of snow and then an arctic front to sweep through with cold clearing skies and beautiful sun for a few days?

I now understand why it’s called The Swamp. Not enough east wind to keep out the warm air in these overrunning events, but enough to eat up the snow we do get. Ends up being kind of a weird sloppy black hole for winter weather.

I think I got maybe 2 extra inches this morning which was an unexpected surprise, but the base never got over 3” for this whole event. Probably about 4” total snow. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

I'm surprised you got so much on Wednesday, it snowed all day here Wednesday, but there was only a dusting on the ground at the end of the day. Otherwise, those totals are similar to here. Up to about 2" on the day so far. I'm sure you'll end up with much more at the end of this as it'll be slower to transition up there. Currently 32F with tons of tiny flakes falling. It's a much wetter snow and sticking to everything today.

rZ2OFOb.jpg

The times colonist reported some ec meteorologist saying downtown Vic only got 5-10 cm. Was very frustrated hearing that because cook street village and Vic west I know as a fact got in the area of 25 cm

25 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Reason number infinity to not trust your weather app: Mill Creek holding firm at 30 degrees. It was supposed to be 32 already if my app is to be believed. Cold yet again outperforming.

Upcoming 5 days should bring a ton of mountain snow to the passes at least. They got a bit shortchanged with the dry January, but snow levels have been building to a very healthy level. 

Snoqualmie Pass is funneling that cold down here. Imagine it would be colder if the pass wasn't so high up. 

Weather station/wx cam:

I think the battle line will be around Auburn.  From their north the east wind will act as a wall to the invasion of warm for a while.  Currently 22 at Lester so there is still a lot of cold air to play with.

At the moment I still have dry snow falling here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

I now understand why it’s called The Swamp. Not enough east wind to keep out the warm air in these overrunning events, but enough to eat up the snow we do get. Ends up being kind of a weird sloppy black hole for winter weather.

I think I got maybe 2 extra inches this morning which was an unexpected surprise, but the base never got over 3” for this whole event. Probably about 4” total snow. 

that's why I call it the swamp

IMG_4942.thumb.jpg.ad14477fbcbcdba0a297a5454407b71f.jpg

IMG_4951.thumb.jpg.455194233458b9f4bddf697cf9117415.jpg

IMG_4947.thumb.jpg.b0d20050a18aec8ad7c5dbafed72c32b.jpg

Measured 2" on the day, bringing the snowpack up to 9.5" after yesterday's 8" compressed to 7.5". Snowfall rates are variable and light, and the snowpack, which is becoming heavier, is starting to bear too much weight on the small branches; lots of snow chunks falling from trees where the weight is finally giving way. 32F now, with the first signs of melt beginning to occur on the outer few exposed snowflakes, and some tiny sleet is starting to mix in with the light snowfall.

I took a walk in the snow today to soak in all the sights in while the snowpack was still at its maximum. Saw lots of kids sledding, couples out walking, wildlife frolicking. I'd probably rate this winter a B+ or an A; without this event, a D+. After today, I feel truly content with the natural transition back to summer. Bring on the nocturnal light shows!

• Like 8

17* at Snoqualmie Pass, so that cold air is still coming through. Snowing back off a little, but now has picked back off again. Going to measure again soon.

• Like 1

Weather station/wx cam:

8 minutes ago, ..... said:

For the south part of the EPSL it's a lot better when storms come through with northerly or NW gradients.  Nov 2010 was a great example.  Due to some fairly lucky breaks I have fared reasonably well for having easterly gradients so constantly.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

8 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Rain, just rain from the start.

But this winter has gone from embarrassingly failing out of high school to squeaking by with a D average, so far.

You got like a foot of snow and it's only a D? That has to be double what you average.

• Like 3

Low. Solar.

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic