The Weather Forums

Part II: February 2021 PacNW

4 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

IMG_4942.thumb.jpg.ad14477fbcbcdba0a297a5454407b71f.jpg

IMG_4951.thumb.jpg.455194233458b9f4bddf697cf9117415.jpg

IMG_4947.thumb.jpg.b0d20050a18aec8ad7c5dbafed72c32b.jpg

Measured 2" on the day, bringing the snowpack up to 9.5" after yesterday's 8" compressed to 7.5". Snowfall rates are variable and light, and the snowpack, which is becoming heavier, is starting to bear too much weight on the small branches; lots of snow chunks falling from trees where the weight is finally giving way. 32F now, with the first signs of melt beginning to occur on the outer few exposed snowflakes, and some tiny sleet is starting to mix in with the light snowfall.

I took a walk in the snow today to soak in all the sights in while the snowpack was still at its maximum. Saw lots of kids sledding, couples out walking, wildlife frolicking. I'd probably rate this winter a B+ or an A; without this event, a D+. After today, I feel truly content with the natural transition back to summer. Bring on the nocturnal light shows!

Lovely shot of Meadowbrook pond :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SnowChild said:

Moderate snow here in MV. East wind really helping us!!

Yup.  The east wind can literally be an enemy and a friend in the same day sometimes.  In this event it has really kept our snow dry and fluffy.  Right now it is saving our bacon on keeping it cold.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

For the south part of the EPSL it's a lot better when storms come through with northerly or NW gradients.  Nov 2010 was a great example.  Due to some fairly lucky breaks I have fared reasonably well for having easterly gradients so constantly.

this has been pretty cool and fun to follow this here web page, no complaints

as a kid i just remember arctic fronts dropping through, putting down some snow and then getting a few days of chilly weather with stiff north winds and sunshine where you could see forever, then two or three days later we'd get an over running event and kiss it all good bye

i  hope to see one of those again some day

a true arctic front

this thing we just had did not impress me much

i think the lowest we got was 25 degrees for a few hours

13 minutes ago, PuyallupChris said:

I now understand why it’s called The Swamp. Not enough east wind to keep out the warm air in these overrunning events, but enough to eat up the snow we do get. Ends up being kind of a weird sloppy black hole for winter weather.

I think I got maybe 2 extra inches this morning which was an unexpected surprise, but the base never got over 3” for this whole event. Probably about 4” total snow. 

There are two types of east wind.  An east wind with strong northly gradients east of the Cascades is a real killer for moisture for you and I both.  When there is a southerly component to the gradient the east wind stays north of your area., but can do wonders here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Just had a couple easterly gusts that were strong enough to blow snow off the roofs. 

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

There are two types of east wind.  An east wind with strong northly gradients east of the Cascades is a real killer for moisture for you and I both.  When there is a southerly component to the gradient the east wind stays north of your area., but can do wonders here.

Yeah the definitely makes sense. I’m a novice so gathering up all this kind of info and knowledge is really interesting.

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

You got like a foot of snow and it's only a D? That has to be double what you average.

10" of snow and I enjoyed the hell out of the 2 days of it falling, but 2 days do not make up an entire winter.  We all have our own criteria that we use to grade results.

Glad to see many members are getting some more snow today.

• Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Not sure why NWS Portland has issued an ice storm warning but that’s strange ig 

It’s because PDX metro and east isn’t scouring out, so likely a lot of icing on the way, especially from the west hills and to the NE from here.

45D5CA52-5267-43AF-A88D-BCEF54A4BDFC.png

• Popcorn 1

The ECMWF goes for a freezing low temp on Tuesday now.  That will be good to freeze up what's left at that point.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Zoom in to see the wind trajectories in the area.

http://hint.fm/wind/

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

9 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

10" of snow and I enjoyed the hell out of the 2 days of it falling, but 2 days do not make up an entire winter.  We all have our own criteria that we use to grade results.

Glad to see many members are getting some more snow today.

Yeah, I get it that, but you got like a once in decade snowfall. And we all know that in the PNW, a few days can make or break a winter, since significant lowland snowfall is so rare.

Not saying you're wrong, just don't understand your logic. 🙂

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, I get it that, but you got like a once in decade snowfall. And we all know that in the PNW, a few days can make or break a winter, since significant lowland snowfall is so rare.

Not saying you're wrong, just don't understand your logic. 🙂

If the snow event had been followed by 2 to 3 days of cold and clear weather, boom, goes up to a B+ maybe even an A.  I had high standards for this winter, and it is beginning to rebound,  lots of time left for more goodies!!

• Like 3

Little over 1” of fresh snow today to hit 15” total for the event...about 13” deep now that it’s compacted somewhat. Up to 33 now first time we’ve been above freezing since 4pm Thursday. 

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

Light snow, 31.6, cars are melted off, I cleared them last night so there was only the snow that fell since late yesterday on them.  The sun is trying to burn through.  I'm guessing we have picked up about 1.5" or so since I shoveled late yesterday afternoon.  

15 minutes ago, Thurston Howell III said:

Nephew in Buckley lives in the east wind blast zone and I think he only got about 5" or so.  Took a drive and about 5mi away there was about a foot and a half and a mile away at the school there was another 3" more than his place and 3 or 4' drifts on sidewalk.  He was getting rain but lower elevation it was snow.

Exactly what I was seeing a few miles west. Very strange event for us in the 410 corridor.

Interesting that some places are getting rain/sleet but we’ve had snow all morning and coming down good now. Hopefully we can score a couple more inches before this wraps up. 

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

40 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

The times colonist reported some ec meteorologist saying downtown Vic only got 5-10 cm. Was very frustrated hearing that because cook street village and Vic west I know as a fact got in the area of 25 cm

Maybe they confused it with the forecast for today? I have a hard time believing downtown got that little when there was this much only 4~5 miles to the north. We usually get more than lower elevations or places further south in this pattern but not by that much. Currently dumping out again, but it's slightly above freezing now.

29 in North Bend... and 32 at the Snoqualmie Parkway exit to the west.  

34 in Enumclaw (NB's twin in terms of outflow) so the angle of the outflow must be from the E and not ESE... the former funnels cold air through NB and the latter favors Enumclaw.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Temps around me have been flat with a couple stations dropping a degree with the precip picking up. I see a warm blob in north SnoCo and some scattered reports of rain turning back to snow down south.

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic