The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

30.8* here. Cars are firmly coated with snow still. Some you can hardly tell what they are. 12.5" total as of 12pm. Looks like we might make a run at Tacoma's totals.

• Like 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

Up to 34 now....still have a light NE wind going for us. Snowing decently. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

6 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

850mb and 925mb temps as of noon. 

850mb.gif

925mb.gif

Curious where the warm layer is on this down here. Zr right now 29f at the surface both 850 and 925 are below freezing 

South wind is ripping here at 45.  Crazy that Salem still has a NE wind at 32, with no topography in the way.  Must be a literal icebox effect with all of that ice on the trees acting as a refrigerator to maintain the shallow inversion.

I think places north of Seattle and EPSL will do good today. 1.5” of new snow so far. I’m thinking south and west of Tacoma will probably be rain in the next couple hours. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

9 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Pretty cool windy map today. You can really see the temp difference in places that have access to east wind vs those that don't. 

SmartSelect_20210214-115658_Windy.jpg

Interesting... not sure the Enumclaw temp is current though.  

enum.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It just keeps coming in Greenwood!! I brushed 8" of snow off my car yesterday afternoon and this morning around 10am there was another 3" on it. Incredible. 

Flakes have been switching between teeny and medium-fat. Things don't seem to be melting yet, though it was slushy on main roads/spots that have been shoveled or well traveled.

• Like 1

This weird freezing mist/drizzle here, trees are coated with a thick layer of ice and it’s only getting worse.

Strong east winds too, stronger than most of yesterday.

• Excited 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, seattlewx said:

It just keeps coming in Greenwood!! I brushed 8" of snow off my car yesterday afternoon and this morning around 10am there was another 3" on it. Incredible. 

Flakes have been switching between teeny and medium-fat. Things don't seem to be melting yet, though it was slushy on main roads/spots that have been shoveled or well traveled.

Impressive... I think we have had about 3 inches of new snow here today.    I just measured 11 inches on the ground.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The EPS is all over another cold wave late in the month.  This is about as good as it gets for something that far out.

cold.png

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Perhaps this has been posted before, but worth posting again 

Alright everyone! Once again we are requesting something from you. We will be going through some changing precipitation types today. It would be great if you could tell us when this happens at your location and what type it is! Just remember to take your observations safely!#wawx
Just now, snow_wizard said:

The EPS is all over another cold wave late in the month.  This is about as good as it gets for something that far out.

cold.png

Wow... that is a strong GOA high signal at that range. 

The snow globe has been shaking all morning here in Lynnwood and is still going like crazy. We have 9.5", up 1.5" from this morning, and if my thermometer can be trusted, it's just under 32 degrees. (I now know what I want for my birthday: some kind of weather station. Any suggestions?? 😃 )

(also, I don't know why the pix are sideways. Even though they are upright on my computer, when I uploaded them here they were on their side. I rotated them 90 degrees on my computer, and then they were lying on their other side here. Can't win, I guess...🤷‍♀️ )

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Impressive... I think we have had about 3 inches of new snow here today.    I just measured 11 inches on the ground.

U have done better than South Hill😂. Been rain since early this morning. Currently puking snow in Des Moines

8 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Well... Oddly enough I'm getting a sleet/rain/light snow/wintry mix underneath the current band. That can't be a good sign. Temp of 32, DP 25.

Still moderate snow here on north end of MV. We need some heavier precip though!! 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

cold.png

My initial thought is to take it with a grain of salt as I feel that models do that a lot when coming out of a pattern like what we are currently in. However there is a history of these patterns repeating themselves again another month out. 

32.6 now, moderate snow almost an hour here in Birch Bay but everything thats falling is not sticking to any surface, even trees due to the warming trend.  I think we can rule out freezing rain for anyone in Western Wshington below 1500 feet.

7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Man this sucks. Really thought we were going to hold on to the snow longer than noon. Hoping it will switch back over soon. 

Looks like precip has really faded and moved east on the coastal radar now so maybe there will be an overall break coming later for us.

• Like 1

Steady heavy snow in downtown Bellevue, been nonstop all day. East wind is doing its thing, you can tell by the flakes and the big American flag flying downtown that the wind is coming in from the east consistently and moderately. 

• Snow 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

48 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Maybe they confused it with the forecast for today? I have a hard time believing downtown got that little when there was this much only 4~5 miles to the north. We usually get more than lower elevations or places further south in this pattern but not by that much. Currently dumping out again, but it's slightly above freezing now.

Yeah maybe. The main issue Is that I measured 25 cm both in cook street village and Vic west so literally no way ther could have only been 5-10 in downtown 

I don’t buy the amount of ZR NWS Portland is predicting— would be nasty if it came to fruition.

• Popcorn 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Currently 30.3 degrees on Education Hill in Redmond. It has been snowing for the last 5 hours, and picking up intensity now. We’ve got 11.5” currently. The winds have picked up in the last 45 minutes. Still out of the east. 

46F and cloudy. Maybe we can pull off a sub-50 high.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

13 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Man this sucks. Really thought we were going to hold on to the snow longer than noon. Hoping it will switch back over soon. 

Weird I’m not far from you. Very heavy snow here!!

Still dumping snow here in marysville but you can definitely tell it’s warming. Snow doesn’t seem to be sticking to the roads and other paved areas much anymore and things look wetter. Beyond 2.5” of new snow today though! 

• Like 1
Just now, Christensen87 said:

Just rain and sleet now in Kent. Looks like show’s over here 😭 Looking forward to what the end of the month has in store for us, I have a feeling we’re not done yet. 

Same here. Sleet/rain with a WSW wind. Guess it was fun while it lasted?

Seems like we were too far east to escape the raging east wind the past couple days, and now too far south to escape the south wind. Happy we still got an alright amount though.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

4 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

Yeah maybe. The main issue Is that I measured 25 cm both in cook street village and Vic west so literally no way ther could have only been 5-10 in downtown 

I measured around 30cm (12") here, but it wasn't an even 30cm because of the drifting. I picked a spot between a drift and trough. I'm not that far off from cook street village but at a higher elevation. I suppose if they measured in an area with lots of drifting they could have misread it. The minimum depth in the troughs around here seems to be about 20cm (8"), the maximum is around 45cm (1.5ft) but it might be more extreme in locations closer to the water with more wind.

Currently dumping snow again. Looks like the heaviest band of the day, but the temperature has warmed to 32.5F.

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic