The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

Same. Still puking snow on the east side of Lake Wilderness.

Yup looks moderately heavy. Looking at radar though it looks like stuff is winding down.

Would have been really nice if it cleared out tonight! 

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Weird. I'm SW of four corners, N of Lake Sawyer.

At least I know the line isn't far. Maybe we can switch back. 

Yup I know where you are at. Just went to Fred Meyers and it was puking snow there 

31 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The EPS is all over another cold wave late in the month.  This is about as good as it gets for something that far out.

cold.png

GFS has been hinting at that as well. Seems to have a little more maritime influence, at least down here, looks like something like February 2011 or 2019. I said last week, we will see more lowland snow by the end of March. You talk about March 1955 a lot, maybe we see something similar. 

• Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

GFS has been hinting at that as well. Seems to have a little more maritime influence, at least down here, looks like something like February 2011 or 2019. I said last week, we will see more lowland snow by the end of March. You talk about March 1955 a lot, maybe we see something similar. 

How affected is Silver Falls state park by the         ice Andrew? It sounds like you were high up enough to escape the worst of it.

Just cracked 30 here for the first time since late Thursday evening. Well over sixty hours in the 20s. That was a good run.

Could make a run at 72 hours below freezing depending on how later today and tonight play out.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

And there it is...I can hear slight dripping from the downspouts. 
What a wonderful weekend it was! 

This is definitely different than a 1996-type event that warmed distinctly from south to north as the warm air battled with cold arctic outflow coming in from the north.    Actually I can't remember too many events where you warmed faster than Seattle or Bellevue.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Any chance we clear out and drop below freezing tonight? 

At this point it is looking to slowly moderate above freezing throughout the day today snd overnight up to the mid 30s

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

12z EPS. Figure i'd post these. Will next week be interesting? lol i already miss all the pepto. 

download (3).png

download (2).png

download (1).png

download.png

Medford pls lol! 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

How affected is Silver Falls state park by the         ice Andrew? It sounds like you were high up enough to escape the worst of it.

When I went to North Falls on Friday, it was really interesting. The North Fork Canyon (North Falls) had almost no ice in it. But there were similar amounts along the rim trail to what we had at my house. 

The South Falls area was hit a lot harder, there were several trees down in the parking area. Overall though, douglas firs seem to handle the ice much better than the lower elevation oaks and maples. So I don't think it will be quite as bad. But I did not hike up the south fork Friday, the cold might have gotten down in that drainage better. We had about 3" of total precip since Thursday, so that's why some spots around Silverton ended up with 1 1/2-2" of ice accumulations. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Getting a snow/sleet mix here and 34. Still going to be a decent negative departure today. It’s been an amazing stretch of weather Thursday-today. 15.5” total max snow depth of 14”. I’m content with this winter and would be ok without more snow at this point but would be happy to see some snow again later this month if it comes. 

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Has been a mix of sleet, freezing drizzle and even a stray snowflake mixed in this afternoon but precip has stayed pretty light so far. East wind seems to be picking up a bit too.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

This is definitely different than a 1996-type event that warmed distinctly from south to north as the warm air battled with cold arctic outflow coming in from the north.    Actually I can't remember too many events where you warmed faster than Seattle or Bellevue.

Those maps that showed 14˚F at Tacoma while Abbotsford was around 20 were never going to verify, but they were on to something when it came to southern areas being surprisingly good at holding on to the cold.

Temp 33˚F, DP 29˚F. First time above freezing since Tuesday afternoon. Over 100 continuous hours in the icebox.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's been a very strange pattern and we're not out of the woods yet. I think when heavy precipitation moves in later some places could switch back to snow. Many possibilities with continued off-shore flow.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

When I went to North Falls on Friday, it was really interesting. The North Fork Canyon (North Falls) had almost no ice in it. But there were similar amounts along the rim trail to what we had at my house. 

The South Falls area was hit a lot harder, there were several trees down in the parking area. Overall though, douglas firs seem to handle the ice much better than the lower elevation oaks and maples. So I don't think it will be quite as bad. But I did not hike up the south fork Friday, the cold might have gotten down in that drainage better. We had about 3" of total precip since Thursday, so that's why some spots around Silverton ended up with 1 1/2-2" of ice accumulations. 

Crazy how different it can even be from one valley to the other. The way the cold air drains with the topography can tell you a lot. This earth of ours has stories to tell Andrew, if only we listen.

• Like 2
Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's been a very strange pattern and we're not out of the woods yet. I think when heavy precipitation moves in later some places could switch back to snow. Many possibilities with continued off-shore flow.

Yeah places above 500’ away from the water it’s definitely not over. Wouldn’t be totally surprised if we saw some more snow today at some point...but I’m doubting it here in Tacoma. Hard to not be happy about how this event transpired got more than the forecasts were calling for here locally. 

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Totally agree... I have a feeling that early tomorrow morning could be quite interesting in many places with heavy precip again during the overnight hours.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Totally agree... I have a feeling that early tomorrow morning could be quite interesting in many places with heavy precip again during the overnight hours.

I agree. There won't be a warm-up much above 35 degrees till offshore flow ends tomorrow morning. Lots of possibilities over the next 12-18 hours especially above 500 feet, near Hood Canal, North of Everett, and in the Cascade Foothills.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

6 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Getting a snow/sleet mix here and 34. Still going to be a decent negative departure today. It’s been an amazing stretch of weather Thursday-today. 15.5” total max snow depth of 14”. I’m content with this winter and would be ok without more snow at this point but would be happy to see some snow again later this month if it comes. 

I haven't looked at the 300hr+ maps in over a week now. With the marginal December snowfall and this blast I think I'm good for this winter but won't complain if we get more.

• Like 2

Looks like HIO is almost above freezing now. From snow straight to "unknown precip". About as smooth of a transition as I had hoped for... however PDX is in freezing rain. Hoping it doesn't get too bad for the central/east metro.

• Popcorn 1

Storm has left a real mess over here— definitely the worst since January 2017.

5A984E8A-C7BD-4E12-AFB2-8232D7B9F319.jpeg

5BA4DC8D-EE4F-4D6B-A67E-541209F8F8FE.jpeg

B3BC46BF-29F2-4C41-A2EA-E612104C86AE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

24 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I’m really hoping the foothills stay snow and avoid freezing rain. I was in Fall City in 2012 and we lost power for quite awhile. 

129794EA-C90D-4DD8-A908-A1788FFFDE2F.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

At 12:14 pm today, the temperature rose above the freezing mark. At 4:20 pm on the 9th, it dropped below freezing.

115 hours, 54 minutes below freezing.

It rose above freezing at 11am here this morning, first time since 2pm on the 10th. It's strange that there was so little difference over here and there on going above freezing, probably those February sun angles playing a role. It's still dumping snow here but 32.5F slushy variety stuff. I'm guessing we transition to drizzle this evening, though it'd be nice if it cleared out.

6 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

I haven't looked at the 300hr+ maps in over a week now. With the marginal December snowfall and this blast I think I'm good for this winter but won't complain if we get more.

Yeah this winter had some really good stuff. Nice dynamic snow event in December that did well for lots of people...just a trace here but still was impressive going from 58 to 34 in a few hours. Big wind event in mid January...several big rain events and a historic mid February snow with 2 sub freezing high temps here. Definitely one of my favorite winters in my lifetime. Who knows could get more snow before mid March! 

• Like 3

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Looks like the snow has finally stopped here. Sounds about time to walk down to the local Starbucks... which is actually open because a few of the baristas live within walking distance. Someone's getting a good tip today! 😁

• Like 1
Just now, VancouverIslandSouth said:

It rose above freezing at 11am here this morning, first time since 2pm on the 10th. It's strange that there was so little difference over here and there on going above freezing, probably those February sun angles playing a role. It's still dumping snow here but 32.5F slushy variety stuff. I'm guessing we transition to drizzle this evening, though it'd be nice if it cleared out.

Snowing here, and been snowing since daybreak, but I’m losing snow faster than I accumulate it. (Darned sun angle.)

It's called clown range for a reason.

Now that things are winding down just a little starting to unpack some numbers for this event.

It looks like PDX both set a record MIN/MAX and tied a record low on the 12th with their 30/24 day. Beating the low high of 35 from 1990 and tying the low of 24 from 1948.

Yesterday featured yet another new record MIN/MAX with a high of 30 degrees, beating 1995's 31. Yesterday's low of 24 was a degree away from the record low for the date, which was 23 in 1990.

Today's record low of 16 from 1995 is out of reach, although the record MIN/MAX of 34 from 1990 may be in play.

The twin 30s on the 12th and 13th also appear to be the coldest back to back highs for PDX this late in the season on record, beating out the back to back 31-30 days on February 15-16, 1956. Before this week there were only four other occurrences of highs 31 or lower at PDX after 2/12.

• Like 7
48 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Same here. Sleet/rain with a WSW wind. Guess it was fun while it lasted?

Seems like we were too far east to escape the raging east wind the past couple days, and now too far south to escape the south wind. Happy we still got an alright amount though.

Definitely the case for me. Kind of a bummer considering how much others got, but we still got enough for a wet snowman as it started melting. All the way up to 36.5 here, still drizzling and melting fast. Fun while it lasted!

Top 5 winter events in my lifetime would be February 2019, February 2021, December 2008, January 2012 and February 2011. 
 February 2021 was our biggest 24 hour snowfall since I’ve been keeping records with 13” of snow...only had one 9” snowfall in 24 hours in February 2019. February 2019 and December 2008 were more long term events but this one was definitely amazing. Hopefully we don’t have to wait too many years before we get another big one. 

• Like 3

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Mentioning what Jesse said...this was our latest sub freezing high temp here since February 2011. Not easy to stay below freezing for 2 days in a row in mid February. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Middle of the afternoon and it's 15 degrees and snowing in Dallas, TX. Expecting 4-6".

This airmass is so bad*ss.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

47 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

I measured around 30cm (12") here, but it wasn't an even 30cm because of the drifting. I picked a spot between a drift and trough. I'm not that far off from cook street village but at a higher elevation. I suppose if they measured in an area with lots of drifting they could have misread it. The minimum depth in the troughs around here seems to be about 20cm (8"), the maximum is around 45cm (1.5ft) but it might be more extreme in locations closer to the water with more wind.

Currently dumping snow again. Looks like the heaviest band of the day, but the temperature has warmed to 32.5F.

I suspect the transition here is gonna take place as soon as the next system comes in. Too bad that one can’t track south of the island 

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic