The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

The thaw is on here, just warmed to 32.5. Some drips from the trees now.

It's fascinating how accurate it is to the 32.6 number. I'm at 33.7 but dew point is 32. Snow still caked on trees. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Sounds like PDX got to 10.1" total for the event. Nice to just crack double digits over there.

PDX finally gets something good after years of waiting! Been a long time for you guys. 

• Like 2

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Sounds like PDX got to 10.1" total for the event. Nice to just crack double digits over there.

Your thoughts on ZR? We’re not thawing out much over here and on the east side— any precip on the way?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

The great melting of 2021 is underway in Milwaukie. My house backs up to a bunch of very large Doug fir trees... it’s like someone is dumping truckloads of baseball sized ice chunks over my back yard.  The plastic roofing over my deck is 100% doomed!!!  

9B0652E9-BCC3-433F-A6FD-D8B6B22674AE.jpeg

• Like 1

Up to 34 now in North Bend... hopefully that means all the ice shown on the GFS won't happen.   I would prefer wet snow or rain.   I remember in 2012...it started drizzling when it was 18 or 19 degrees.    I knew immediately that we were in trouble.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Your thoughts on ZR? We’re not thawing out much over here and on the east side— any precip on the way?

Cold air always hangs on a little longer there in the West Hills, so you may get a continued round the next few hours but QPF looks fairly low with this mist over us. I think virtually everyone west of Troutdale is done with it by 8pm or so as mixing increases.

• Like 4
Just now, TT-SEA said:

Up to 34 now in North Bend... hopefully that means all the ice shown on the GFS won't happen.   I would prefer wet snow or rain.   I remember in 2012...it started drizzling when it was 18 or 19 degrees.    I knew immediately that we were in trouble.

Yea I remember that. It was 23-25 in the lowlands and it started to rain and I knew we were in trouble. I was worried for a bit when it started raining this morning and it was only 29 but it warmed up pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Yea I remember that. It was 23-25 in the lowlands and it started to rain and I knew we were in trouble. I was worried for a bit when it started raining this morning and it was only 29 but it warmed up pretty quickly. 

I’d rather light rain than freezing rain. Not really trying to lose power. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Cold air always hangs on a little longer there in the West Hills, so you may get a continued round the next few hours but QPF looks fairly low with this mist over us. I think virtually everyone west of Troutdale is done with it by 8pm or so as mixing increases.

Definitely curious as to the icing event the local Mets and NWS are predicting into Monday— hopefully temps moderate before QPF increases later on.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just now, Requiem said:

Definitely curious as to the icing event the local Mets and NWS are predicting into Monday— hopefully temps moderate before QPF increases later on.

Yeah, the bulk of the precip happens late tonight. And while we might cool back towards 32-33F, it appears the airmass will just be a little too saturated to support icing, as it becomes a very shallow gorge based lower level cold pool. Ice Storm Warning always seemed like a stretch to me.

• Like 1

Just now hitting 32*. Little bit of dripping out, but not too much yet. Just shy of 13" here. 

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

• Sad 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Still 32.7F here with moderate snow here, looks like this band doesn't have much more life in it, probably will be done in an hour or so. Has a much slushier feel to it now. Since temperatures rose above freezing there's only been maybe a half inch of accumulation in spite of moderate snow for hours:

6qWnowp.jpg

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but I see on weather.com that snow is back in the forecast in 10 days. I know we all know not to trust the forecast that far out, but fingers crossed! Time to finally buy microspikes - wish I had them this time around.

• Like 1
Just now, MossMan said:

Same here. 
33.4 degrees. 
DP 32.7. 

The shower 1 hr ago ended in light mist and that usually means game over but this shower on me now started as snow. 

• Like 1

I give this event a solid A! The only thing that would have made it an A+ would have been if the duration was a little longer with a few clear 23/8 degree days with the deep snow cover that we have. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I give this event a solid A! The only thing that would have made it an A+ would have been if the duration was a little longer with a few clear 23/8 degree days with the deep snow cover that we have. 

It's been impressive.  Watching it snow at 23 degrees is just so rare here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Was thinking the same thing. Snow performance was great it just was missing the cold sunny few days sandwiched in between where we go into a deep freeze with snow. Still fun nonetheless! 

• Like 1

Snow still hanging on the trees here. Flakes stopped over an hour ago. 

• Like 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Still a B+ here. No days with highs in the teens, in fact only barely eked out a low in the teens. It’s in February, too much daytime heating from insolation. Didn’t clear off and let that blanket of snow enable aggressive radiational cooling. And my snow amounts, unlike those further south, did not rise to truly epic levels.

Still, no complaints. Not every winter can get an A or an A+. It’s a natural result of being against grade inflation.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

18Z ECMWF says there is one more round coming early tomorrow morning... this is snow from 9 p.m. through 9 a.m.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3408400.png

• Confused 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, Shawn344 said:

Was thinking the same thing. Snow performance was great it just was missing the cold sunny few days sandwiched in between where we go into a deep freeze with snow. Still fun nonetheless! 

I also liked how regional it was, seeing the roads in downtown Seattle look like Minnesota yesterday was pretty cool! Reminded me of December 2008. 

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I rank this event higher than any from the past 10 years, if only because of the timing. It started on the Friday night of a long weekend (at least in BC) and is still going into Sunday night. The only timing that would be better would be around Christmas, but we did have the Dec 21st event with snow that stuck around this year. I'd take a cold clear day after yesterday's event over the day of wet snow we've had today but can't complain much either way.

• Like 2
  • iFred locked and unpinned this topic