The Weather Forums

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Looks like PDX just kissed 💋 32 for the afternoon before dropping a bit. Still only 30 for a high here. We’ll see if either of those hold thru midnight.

Yeah, back to 31.5 here with steadier rain starting. Not good.

• scream 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

33.9 and dropping. Not expecting anything though.

Family members in the greater PDX area have all lost power as well as got it back today.  Currently two in separate areas are back down again.  Lake Oswego two transformers blew a few minutes ago.  Must be fireworks for Valentines Day! 

Didn’t check maps yet but did south winds kick in causing this all the sudden round of outages down there? 

Streaming DFW TV News on historic cold and storm.  Every county in Texas under winter storm warning.  My son b has snow in Brownsville in south Texas.  Crazy cold and wind chills.

• Like 1
  • scream 1
3 minutes ago, Khoine said:

Streaming DFW TV News on historic cold and storm.  Every county in Texas under winter storm warning.  My son b has snow in Brownsville in south Texas.  Crazy cold and wind chills.

Rattlesnakes and fire ants will not like this!!! 

• Troll 1
1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Not many, December 2008, January 1980,  late January 1969, late December 1968, March 1951 (though that was from different little storms), mid January 1950, January 1943... probably it for the airport era.

Did 2008 deliver 10"+ to both in the same 36 hour period like this, though? And SEA only measured 8.8" in Jan 1980, per WRCC.

Low. Solar.

22 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Another piece of evidence that the melting has started...My rain gauge is starting to register the snow melt. 

7B6AAB29-AB37-4379-9273-E26F801A79EC.jpeg

yeah same here except I'm showing .07"  It actually registered .02" while it was still snowing.

• Like 1

Does anyone have ZR?

Looks like its misting or drizzling across most of the Seattle area and temps are at or below freezing in many places.    Its 29 here and I see precip over my area on the radar but don't see any snowflakes under the light.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What is currently the total depth?

Right at 10" depth. 

I got 8" from the first storm, 1" yesterday afternoon, and 4" today so 13" total.IMG_20210214_132455.thumb.jpg.1c2cd8aa33f0bc5995b4464d5fa0d8cc.jpg

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, back to 31.5 here with steadier rain starting. Not good.

29.8 with light rain here and the east wind continuing. Have a decent glaze on everything now.

• Thanks 1
  • Rain 1

The melt is definitely on here, although with a 33.7/32.2 spread it's not too bad as it could be. Picked up 0.34" in the rain bucket, but I haven't looked to see whether it's completely melted out of there. We had some incredibly heavy snow at about 34F earlier in the day that dropped about 1.5", but most of the day it really wasn't accumulating as the temps warmed. Current snow depth is about 7" after getting 10.5" total from the storm.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

In honor of this snow event I will be retiring the Washington County donut hole profile pic. How about a nice ponderosa and sugar pine forest instead.

How much did you end up with total? Highs and lows since Thursday?

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

How much did you end up with total? Highs and lows since Thursday?

I don't have a PWS, but I measured with a ruler several times. All temps are from HIO. We are closer to the Gorge than HIO so temps here were probably a bit colder.

Thursday was 40/28 with a midnight high. Started as rain and then as the Arctic air filtered in, it turned to ZR giving everything a coating of ice, and then to snow. Accumulated about 2" overnight.

Friday was 29/25. Most of the daylight hours it was ZR/sleet but then switchover to dry powder after sunset. Accumulated 4-5" overnight.

Saturday was 34/24. Total snow for the event was 6-7" here, plus two layers of ice that got mixed in to the pack.

• Like 2

Went up to 33 before it got completely dark, now back down to 32 with flurries. 

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

7 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I don't have a PWS, but I measured with a ruler several times. All temps are from HIO. We are closer to the Gorge than HIO so temps here were probably a bit colder.

Thursday was 40/28 with a midnight high. Started as rain and then as the Arctic air filtered in, it turned to ZR giving everything a coating of ice, and then to snow. Accumulated about 2" overnight.

Friday was 29/25. Most of the daylight hours it was ZR/sleet but then switchover to dry powder after sunset. Accumulated 4-5" overnight.

Saturday was 34/24. Total snow for the event was 6-7" here, plus two layers of ice that got mixed in to the pack.

Sounds like it ended up being a pretty decent event out that way. 6-7" is not shabby! And a high in the 20s and other forms of wintery precip.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SnowChild said:

You getting snow in shoreline right now? 

Actually north Kirkland.

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

50 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Does anyone have ZR?

Looks like its misting or drizzling across most of the Seattle area and temps are at or below freezing in many places.    Its 29 here and I see precip over my area on the radar but don't see any snowflakes under the light.  

It's been a light mix here and 32 degrees.  I just had a shower over me and it snowed for a minute.  

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

In the end, the similarities between this event and 1998 were downright eerie. Similar snowfall gradient with respect to geography as well as the fact that they both had the massive peculiarity of having thicknesses never drop below 530dm in the preceding air mass or during the entirety of the event.  Also, PDX’s high water mark for cold was the same at 24. Huge, fascinating display of local microclimates and low level dynamics.

• Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

7 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

In the end, the similarities between this event and 1998 were downright eerie. Similar snowfall gradient with respect to geography as well as the fact that they both had the massive peculiarity of having thicknesses never drop below 530dm in the preceding air mass or during the entirety of the event.  Also, PDX’s high water mark for cold was the same at 24. Huge, fascinating display of local microclimates and low level dynamics.

What was the final snow depth at it's peak there?

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

10 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

What were the dates of that event?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What was the final snow depth at it's peak there?

Measured 13 inches yesterday morning.  Things settled quite a bit because this morning we were a bit below that despite picking up about an inch overnight.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Plus this one was about a month plus later and much closer to the margin of this sort of setup being climatologically possible/probable. Which scores it extra weird/impressive points.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

January 10-12.

I think it got a little chilly and we might have had an inch or two but my memory of that time is very vague so it must have not been memorable up here 

My wife thinks the broken snow shovel is funny as hell now.  She’s arrogantly claiming that she’s entirely responsible and she’ll accept tokens of appreciation via Venmo or PayPal.  

• Like 1
  • lol 3
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Plus this one was about a month plus later and much closer to the margin of this sort of setup being climatologically possible/probable. Which scores it extra weird/impressive points.

Definitely.

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I think it got a little chilly and we might have had an inch or two but my memory of that time is very vague so it must have not been memorable up here 

There were definitely differences too.  This one was much more dynamic with its Pacific influence.  

• Like 1

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic