The Weather Forums

Transformers going off all around us now. I'm shocked I haven't lost power yet. Multiple trees down on my street and the woods behind my house are a constant sound of crashes. My deck is starting to sag but I'm too nervous to put more weight on it and go out to clear it. The 150ft douglas firs directly behind my house are starting to lean.

I haven't been watching the models the last 24 hours, can someone fill me in quickly on what the status is as far as starting to thaw out? I'm in SW Portland near Multnomah Village and it's currently 30 degrees. Starting to get extremely worried about what is going to happen here tonight if we don't thaw.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

31.7F and rain here. Got a total of 7 inches during the whole event with a few layers of ice too. I'm glad this winter was able to redeem itself mostly with this regionwide event. I do wish the southern metro could have stayed all snow but regardless, a pretty dynamic and interesting event.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

Transformers going off all around us now. I'm shocked I haven't lost power yet. Multiple trees down on my street and the woods behind my house are a constant sound of crashes. My deck is starting to sag but I'm too nervous to put more weight on it and go out to clear it. The 150ft douglas firs directly behind my house are starting to lean.

I haven't been watching the models the last 24 hours, can someone fill me in quickly on what the status is as far as starting to thaw out? I'm in SW Portland near Multnomah Village and it's currently 30 degrees. Starting to get extremely worried about what is going to happen here tonight if we don't thaw.

Looks like east winds are light according to the wundermap.  Hopefully the Gorge doesn’t get a attitude and you can mix out with this heavier precipitation.  Always interesting to see unfold.  Best of luck

12 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

Looks like sometime around mid to late morning tomorrow down there for a thaw.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Actually the ECMWF shows the Portland area goes above freezing before dawn per the ECMWF... the GFS shows mid morning.

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That would mean a lot of ice for Portland. Was expecting it to mix out a bit more but SLE is back to 38 with a north wind and the westside is still freezing. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Oh no, that is going to be very, very bad if that pans out. Thank you.

We already have nearly 1" of ice coating everything. Plus I'm sure the 6" of snow on everyone's roof is getting nice and heavy at this point. Tree just fell on our neighbor's house. I'm sleeping in my basement tonight just to be safe. If can even fall asleep, lol.

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

It’s getting bad out here in Gresham. Heavier precip has moved in and we’re sitting at 30-31. Lights have flickered a few times and trees are starting to break around here.

• scream 1
10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Actually the ECMWF shows the Portland area goes above freezing before dawn per the ECMWF... the GFS shows mid morning.

I had to laugh at how you worded the ECMWF twice the way you did!

Seeing snowflakes again... that is good.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

I had to laugh at how you worded the ECMWF twice the way you did!

Sorry... I was not really paying attention.   Focused more on the specific timing of each model.   I did not even notice I did that when I was quoted a couple times.

11 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

We already have nearly 1" of ice coating everything. Plus I'm sure the 6" of snow on everyone's roof is getting nice and heavy at this point. Tree just fell on our neighbor's house. I'm sleeping in my basement tonight just to be safe. If can even fall asleep, lol.

Stay safe and keep us updated if possible! 

• Like 1

49F with some steady rain.

• Rain 2

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

19 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Might dodge the bullet here.  We’ve ticked up to 32.8.

Were still hovering around 30 here. Maybe 1/8” glaze on everything so far and raining steadily.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Were still hovering around 30 here. Maybe 1/8” glaze on everything so far and raining steadily.

Yeah, we tend to benefit from some foothill drift during these uber-shallow outflow situations. I’ll take it.

Speaking of ice accretions, we were at the coast today and the tree damage in Astoria is pretty epic.  

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Looks like it's starting to rain in Victoria now, the highway into town has that shiny look:

202102142134.jpg

I'm surprised how uniform the warmup has been. Even Hope deep in the Fraser Valley is reporting 33F with light rain. I guess it's warming from above much faster than at the lower levels.

I don’t know much about the gorge weather down there at the Washington/Oregon border, but those temp numbers are amazing. Goes from low 20s to low-mid thirties within a few miles down there.  Such an amazing micro climate. 

1 hour ago, Outpost54 said:

Hope it doesn't get too bad for you. Now you now what we dealt with down in Salem (minus the snow)

Spent the entire day cleaning up trees and my garden shed

2 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Heaviest snow of the entire event for North Bend right now. Blowing like crazy too. 

Its snowing up here... but its nowhere near the heaviest snow of this event.  

18 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

925mb (25).gif

What are 850mb temps at right now?

Yeah, that Texas stuff is pretty much incomprehensible.  Kinda like if the Canadian from SB Sunday actually verified here, plus a couple notches.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

I don’t know much about the gorge weather down there at the Washington/Oregon border, but those temp numbers are amazing. Goes from low 20s to low-mid thirties within a few miles down there.  Such an amazing micro climate. 

Can happen up this way with Fraser outflow. Last January in the Bellingham area:

microclimates.thumb.png.9ee31d0078a896859a74b43e86a279de.png

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

EuPymiVUcAAJYgV.jpg.a98c1bb65b70b09ede18d22119b326d4.jpg

Not for long...

I think the radar is picking up sleet aloft.    

Here is the ECMWF total snow and sleet over the next 12 hours...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3412000 (1).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-sleet_total-3412000.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Still 30 here with steady rain.

If the cold air is still all the way to Scappoose, something tells me Portland is probably not going to scour out tonight. And maybe not tomorrow, either. Shades of 2004…

It's called clown range for a reason.

34F and moderate rain here. I wonder how much snow will be left by morning.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

Just now, Skagit Weather said:

34F and moderate rain here. I wonder how much snow will be left by morning.

I've seen a full day of 34F rain do almost nothing to snow when not accompanied by wind. It melts much quicker when there's wind to go with it. If you have over 6" of snow tonight's conditions won't do much but compact it.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

It didn't happen there in Feb 1989?

They advected down to 9 with that event but it was dry.

2 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

Still holding at 32 with a ton of precip moving through. Really hope the NWS was right about capping the ice accumulation at 0.2” in the EPSL tonight.

I noticed freezing rain here last time I looked outside. 

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic