The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

No trips this year? Rough year for you Tim😂😂 Hope your son is enjoying his trip tho! That sounds fantastic right now compared to this cold rain

We could have gone... but my wife would have to quarantine for 2 weeks after we got back (she is in the medical field).   She is now done with both rounds of vaccine so she is allowed to travel without quarantining.   And travel we will!    We are booking several trips for what will likely be an absolutely miserable spring here.   It works out better that this year.   I expect April and May will be basically still winter.   

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, 1000'NorthBend said:

Below freezing streak for my PWS has ended. Wednesday evening through Monday at noonish, impressive! Lowest temp was 18.8°F on Saturday morning.

Measured 12 - 17” of snow on ground today, variable because of wind and compaction. Minor freezing rain accumulation on branches, it was quickly alternating between snow, sleet and freezing rain for hours this AM. 

Once I finished shoveling my driveway I watched a bobcat walk up the cleared driveway, it was incredible! He’s been hanging out around house for a couple hours now.

40F8E8E2-D017-451D-8BA2-75D94EDD17BA.png

Nice!  

He is probably confused and hungry.   I measured 15 inches this morning on a flat spot that is wind protected which is probably the peak since its compacting now.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, Hawksfan2008 said:

33 so we’ll avoid anything serious. Still accumulating on some stuff but beginning to fall off the trees. 

I can't imagine it's still accumulating on the trees.   Here is the scene here... its coming off the roof like a waterfall.

• Like 1

South wind gusting to 21 at Sea - Tac now.  There snow is going to be killed with that.  Out here that is much less less of an issue, but the lack of freezing nights is going to really hurt keeping this around long.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for another round of model riding, but the 18z looks like it may be going places next week . . .

gfs_z500a_namer_24.png

• Like 1
  • Excited 3

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

2 minutes ago, UWweathernerd said:

Let’s hope this taps into decent cold air !! Sucks that we are going against the sun angle now . 

7189EE91-C7EB-4EE3-B40B-D3BE36F1EC52.jpeg

We have gotten big time events well into March in the past.  All it takes is the right pattern.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for another round of model riding, but the 18z looks like it may be going places next week . . .

gfs_z500a_namer_24.png

The air up north isn't all that cold at the same time, yet.

• Confused 1

I can just about guarantee anyone from Kalama south to Salem will remember this storm (these storms) for some time.  You either got buried in snow, encased in ice, or in some places both.  This is the kind of snow that makes next week's 3" seem pretty minimal, whereas any other time it would be impressive.

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Large branch just fell off our tree into our neighbors yard. Maybe it’s just the weight of the rain on top of the ice from earlier...

Yeah... I just went and shook off one our trees and all the ice just fell off with one push.    But the weight of the rain is not helping at this temperature.   We need a little wind but its just dead calm now.

• Like 2

This event is the only time since I've lived here that I will never know how much snow we got or how much water equivalent there was, due to so much blowing, drifting, and uneven snow depths.  There was so much wind I ended up with a small pile of snow in my garage that found small hole to blow through.  It was an interesting experience, but I prefer the snow to fall more gently.  At least we got a couple of inches once the wind calmed that was more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

11 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

I can just about guarantee anyone from Kalama south to Salem will remember this storm (these storms) for some time.  You either got buried in snow, encased in ice, or in some places both.  This is the kind of snow that makes next week's 3" seem pretty minimal, whereas any other time it would be impressive.

People up here will remember it too.  I'm sure Tigerwoods will also remember the pain of getting shafted so bad.  All in all most people on this forum got some true winter weather though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

9 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Large branch just fell off our tree into our neighbors yard. Maybe it’s just the weight of the rain on top of the ice from earlier...

Ice storms suck balls.  Just no other way to put it.  A small coating is interesting, but a lot is awful. 

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

14 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

This will be remembered by pretty much everyone from Salem to Bellingham. Pretty rare to be able to say that honestly.

Salem: Huge ice storm

Portland: Huge snow and ice storm

Chehalis to Olympia: Two huge snowstorms that blended together.

Tacoma to Everett: Huge snowstorm. Seattle's snowiest day in 52 years.

Bellingham: 6-8 inch snowstorm with huge outflow winds.

• Like 9

Everett Snowfall

As an aside.  A friend of mine who lives very near hear thinks I may have underestimated how much we really got.  I am always honest with my weather records and reports.  Maybe too much so sometimes.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

This will be remembered by pretty much everyone from Salem to Bellingham. Pretty rare to be able to say that honestly.

Salem: Huge ice storm

Portland: Huge snow and ice storm

Chehalis to Olympia: Two huge snowstorms that blended together.

Tacoma to Everett: Huge snowstorm. Seattle's snowiest day in 52 years.

Bellingham: 6-8 inch snowstorm with huge outflow winds.

Nailed it.  There are a few of us who didn't get the biggest snow day in 52 years, but it was still good.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Looking back I had 10" fall in 11 hours here from 6pm on Friday to 5am on Saturday. 15.5" total which beats every winter total in the last 12 years here aside from 2016-17. 

Literally an event that took this winter from an F to almost an A. Just need one more snow event and maybe some clearer, coldish days to get to a solid A for me. 

• Like 4

Lots of 1950s analogs to the CPC outlook today. That gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling.  Might be a fun throwback year brewing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Looking back I had 10" fall in 11 hours here from 6pm on Friday to 5am on Saturday. 15.5" total which beats every winter total in the last 12 years here aside from 2016-17. 

Literally an event that took this winter from an F to almost an A. Just need one more snow event and maybe some clearer, coldish days to get to a solid A for me. 

Yeah...a couple of clear and cold days to enjoy the snow would have been nice.  Something we seem to have problems with in recent years.  I really enjoyed the distinct continental feel the air had even when it was cloudy though.  It was interesting on the news to see how sloppy the snow was in Seattle yesterday while it was still fluffy and dry here.  The east wind does have its plusses.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Definitely wasn't as nice here, but still fun. Probably had about 3-4 inches of snow total through the storms. Tons of sleet and freezing rain in between that snow. It was hard to get an exact reading because it all blended into a slab of ice by Saturday. Awesome sustained cold though. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

The last three Winters have all featured major Winter-saving events here with looooong stretches of boring nothingness outside of them.

February 2019 took that Winter from an F to an A here. Zero snow before that and then 25" in 8 days with a max depth of 16".

I also had zero snow in 20-21 outside the 10.5" I got in mid January.

And this Winter probably went from a D- to an B+ here since I had 1.5" on 12/21/20 and got 13" this weekend.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah...a couple of clear and cold days to enjoy the snow would have been nice.  Something we seem to have problems with in recent years.  I really enjoyed the distinct continental feel the air had even when it was cloudy though.

It's been a pretty respectable run around the region since 2016. For maximum favored westside places like Lynden, we're talking five straight winters with at least one sustained arctic event and snowstorm. Probably have to go back to 1977-1982 for something similar there.

I almost think that the nice snow totals the last few years (3/5 winters here with 10"+, and an outlier bad performance here in 2018-19) are a product of the airmasses not being as deep or as cold. California has been sitting under almost constant ridging in that timeframe, with the southerly warm air setting up some pretty dramatic battle zones and juicy lows over our region since 2016. It seems like WA and northern OR are benefitting from the arctic fronts not dropping way south.

4 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

The last three Winters have all featured major Winter-saving events here with looooong stretches of boring nothingness outside of them.

February 2019 took that Winter from an F to an A here. Zero snow before that and then 25" in 8 days with a max depth of 16".

And this Winter probably went from a D- to an B+ here since I had 1.5" on 12/21/20 and got 13" this weekend.

We do need to work on getting a winter that is consistently good throughout.  We get them from time to time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

It's weird because it still feels like climate change is eating away at our winters but the events that we are seeing are getting more dramatic overall, at least relative to the past few decades. Maximum performance relative to the more limited opportunities (at least in the case of the past few winters, not 16-17 so much).

It's been a pretty respectable run around the region since 2016. For maximum favored westside places like Lynden, we're talking five straight winters with at least one sustained arctic event and snowstorm. Probably have to go back to 1977-1982 for something similar there.

I almost think that the decent snow totals the last few years (3/5 winters here with 10"+, and an outlier bad performance here in 2018-19) are a product of the airmasses not being as deep or as cold. California has been sitting under almost constant ridging in that timeframe, with the southerly warm air setting up some pretty dramatic battle zones and juicy lows over our region since 2016. It seems like WA and northern OR are benefitting from the arctic fronts not dropping way south.

Even though I've done OK here during that time frame we still have yet to have a low track straight inland across SW / Southern  WA which is when my area ends up being a big winner.  Hard to complain too much, but something has come along with each recent winter to muck up doing exceptionally well here.  That having been said I've had three out of the last 5 Februaries yield over 6 inches of snow.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It's weird because it still feels like climate change is eating away at our winters but the events that we are seeing are getting more dramatic overall, at least relative to the past few decades. Maximum performance relative to the more limited opportunities (at least in the case of the past few winters, not 16-17 so much).

Obviously the missing piece of the puzzle is January (except 2016-17).  We need to get out Januaries back.  If Dec and Feb can both still deliver why not January?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I guess a day like today is what you would consider a “snow killer” — combination of rain, south wind, and high temps are doing a number on the stuff that fell here. It is a slushy mess here and the melt is very rapid.

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Even though I've done OK here during that time frame we still have yet to have a low track straight inland across SW / Southern  WA which is when my area ends up being a big winner.  Hard to complain too much, but something has come along with each recent winter to muck up doing exceptionally well here.  That having been said I've had three out of the last 5 Februaries yield over 6 inches of snow.  

Didn't 2/5/17 do pretty much exactly that? I thought you got nearly a foot with that one.

Everett Snowfall

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

PDX sensor has gone berserkers!

I don't see it at all on the Mesonet map now.  Looks like quite a warm blast in the west part of Portland now though with nearly 50 degrees.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Obviously the missing piece of the puzzle is January (except 2016-17).  We need to get out Januaries back.  If Dec and Feb can both still deliver why not January?

The January troubles increasingly seem to extend to the rest of the country as well. This winter has followed the 2018-19 and 2014-15 script of not really delivering much nationally until the end of January, and then going off the rails crazy in February. 

Just now, bainbridgekid said:

Didn't 2/5/17 do pretty much exactly that? I thought you got nearly a foot with that one.

That one may have, and I did get 8.5 inches.  I think I held my own on that one.  The Christmas snow of 2017 was decent too.  Feb 2019 was a bummer on the final act.  I had an inch of snow and a bunch of snow mixed with rain ZR on that one.  Two miles up the road it snowed a foot.  Still had 12 inches that month, but again kind of shanked it for the big prize.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah when was the last time we had a low come into Astoria area from the straight west or SW with arctic air in place?

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

That low tracked just to my south. I stayed in the cold winds that entire day with 33-34 degree rain and snow. There was an 850mb warm tongue that moved over us with the low tracking nearby that kept us in the liquid, otherwise it would have been a 10"+ event here.

The January troubles increasingly seem to extend to the rest of the country as well. This winter has followed the 2018-19 and 2014-15 script of not really delivering much nationally until the end of January, and then going off the rails crazy in February. 

Illinois set an all-time state record low in January 2019. Hard time argue that isn’t top tier midwinter cold.

Though I agree with the general idea that winters have been climaxing later than they have in the past. For a multitude of reasons, I suspect.

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Yeah when was the last time we had a low come into Astoria area from the straight west or SW with arctic air in place?

It's been a while.  For my location it takes a low tracking in straight from the west or the SW to do the trick.  When that happens we can get blasted.  A low tracking from the NW and ending up east of the Cascades just to my south can do wonders also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Illinois set an all-time state record low in January 2019. Hard time argue that isn’t top tier midwinter cold.

Though I agree with the general idea that winters have been climaxing later than they have in the past. For a multitude of reasons, I suspect.

Yeah, on the 30th of the month after an extremely dead December 1-January 19 there. 

This winter has been similar there. Chicago had 8.4" of snow on the winter through January 24, and since then they've had 27.7" with perhaps another foot coming today and tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Greenland literally teleported into the US last weekend. 

image.thumb.jpeg.80052a28b872d5462a8c22e9d65c7a12.jpeg

That NAO blocking was off the charts.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, on the 30th of the month after an extremely dead December 1-January 19 there. 

This winter has been similar there. Chicago had 8.4" of snow on the winter through January 24, and since then they've had 27.7" with perhaps another foot coming today and tomorrow.

That’s only 10 days removed from the coldest part of winter. I’d count it.

Also January 2014 had some legit cold out here. Advected down to zero degrees without the aid of snowcover.

32 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yep. Most of my family lives in Chicago and they were all saying things like "where is Winter?" through late January. Since then they've been in the ice box nonstop with a ridiculous amount of snow.

Everett Snowfall

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic