The Weather Forums

17 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Really hoping to see about 20 more posts on this fascinating topic (multiple maps at varying resolutions included) as we head into a regional snow event.

I have posted no maps beyond Sunday... other than to show a big snowstorm on Monday on the GFS and that type of map is approved by you!   I did post a map celebrating a great trend for Portland.   Sorry about that.   

I also did not bring up the warm up delay... it was already being discussed by people looking past Saturday.   But technically the 12Z ECMWF did speed up the timing on that.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

Starting to get a more light snow now instead of flurries. Radar looks encouraging down south and off the coast. 

• Like 3

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Starting to get a more light snow now instead of flurries. Radar looks encouraging down south and off the coast. 

Yeah... just noticed the intensification of the precip offshore on the coastal radar.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... just noticed the intensification of the precip offshore on the coastal radar.

Hey Tim how are the 12Z eps snow maps looking like?

2 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

Hey Tim how are the 12Z eps snow maps looking like?

Through Sunday...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nw-total_snow_10to1-3347200 (1).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Esquimalt said:

Wow screwed here 

More by Monday up there. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nw-total_snow_10to1-3433600.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Through Sunday...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nw-total_snow_10to1-3347200 (1).png

That looks PERFECT for Seattle area. Love it. 

• Confused 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Deformation band really getting its act together per the coastal radar.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

Pretty good consensus on the 12z EPS for the Saturday storm now. None of the possible outcomes look bad for the Seattle area. Will more depend on strength/precip rates.

2021-02-11 11_17_15-Window.png

Yeah... too far offshore is a bigger threat now than too far north.

6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

PDX reported ice pellets!

I'm still trying to figure out if that midnight high will end up being 39 or 40. So close...

1 minute ago, Shawn344 said:

Any deformation band would still stay south though, yes? 

I think it's going to slowly move north even though the focus is to the south. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

I think you might want to double check where Seattle is on a map 😬

Born and raised here, my Dad and his Dad were too. I'm pretty well versed on the geography, thank you very much.

Also, with living here my entire life, I am VERY happy with 5-8 inches of snow. I am sorry that you adjusted your expectations based on models that were five days out and will only be happy with 3 feet of snow, but I have a long history in this region and I know how rare these types of events are.

So... please, continue to be frustrated and give yourself heartburn because you made the foolish decision to believe snow totals from days ago, I'll be over here enjoying snow totals that I would've paid big money for even last week. 

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 2

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I think it's going to slowly move north even though the focus is to the south. 

I'd guess about from Seattle NW up to forks if you made a line. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, runninthruda206 said:

Please keep posting pics of the white stuff down there! getting jealous over here in seattle 

The radar is really looking a lot juicier now.  It will come.  It's obvious the WRF was way too dry / far south.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

Born and raised here, my Dad and his Dad were too. I'm pretty well versed on the geography, thank you very much.

Also, with living here my entire life, I am VERY happy with 5-8 inches of snow. I am sorry that you adjusted your expectations based on models that were five days out and will only be happy with 3 feet of snow, but I have a long history in this region and I know how rare these types of events are.

So... please, continue to be frustrated and give yourself heartburn because you made the foolish decision to believe snow totals from days ago, I'll be over here enjoying snow totals that I would've paid big money for even last week. 

Models showed me getting 36 inches 3 days out in Feb 19. Ended up that about 48 fell all together.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Heavier precip rates are getting pretty close here now. Snows picked up quite a bit the last 10 minutes but still too light to accumulate.

• Excited 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Wow!  Tim wasn't kidding about the coastal radar looking good.  A lot moisture out there and it's still getting more intense.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Models showed me getting 36 inches 3 days out in Feb 19. Ended up that about 48 fell all together.

Yeah....models often underdo moisture.  I remember in January 2012 the amount of precip was ridiculous compared to what was modeled.  The second storm is kind of a colder version of that.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Looking snowier

HRRR.png

No doubt this thing has some juice after looking at the Coastal radar.  I think the Central Sound will do ok with this.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Clouds are thinning up here and temperature has now popped up to 31F. Going to be very hard to squeeze a freezing high out today, although I guess it's still possible.

• Sun 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic