The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Andrew M said:

Temperature is falling here again under moderate snow, down to 21.9 degrees now

Yeah, I’m really how impressed with how cold it is so far today in the Portland metro area. Just 26 degrees here.

Not bad for February. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

Second dose is what takes people down - count on at least 12 hours staying in bed.

I had no side effects from either dose. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Tombstone Pass at 32 with WSW flow.  Santiam Pass at 9, 15 miles away at about the same elevation.  Mid-level warm air advection has arrived.

Coastal boundary still between Yachats (50) and Newport (37)

• Like 1
  • Meteorologist

Nice going into an event with snow already on the ground. It's going to be a long day waiting as the main band comes through. Radar scope is showing returns coming into the NW Olympic Peninsula but it's unclear how much of that is hitting the ground. This morning's upper air sound showed a dew-point depression in the dendritic growth zone as KUIL, but as more moisture comes in it should be able to reduce the depression.

displayUpper_php.thumb.png.d3ece35ab855fd4b7fdee3c3bcc7c9bc.png

• Like 1

Just from a timing perspective... the 12Z ECMWF still shows the precip to the west and south of Seattle at 6 p.m.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_1hr_inch-3181600.png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, joaqweri said:

12z euro incoming

Hope it goes so far north with the low it crosses the North Pole and ends up in Siberia.

• Like 3
  • lol 1

Total snow from 8 p.m. through 8 a.m.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3232000.png

• Like 5
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, paulb/eugene said:

Actually I am totally happy with that.  I can always drive north to look at the icicles

Happy to hopefully miss out on the ice as well.  Overnight icing that melts by morning is all impact and no fun...

• Like 1

Looks farther south to me... here are temps at noon tomorrow.   Much colder for the Seattle area than the 00Z run.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-3246400.png

• Like 2

while putting the low certainly further north and setting up a snow-rain changeover, it still gives solid totals before it's over, 6-8" for seattle and 10-12" for south sound

• Like 1
  • Meteorologist
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks farther south to me... here are temps at noon tomorrow.   Much colder for the Seattle area than the 00Z run.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-3246400.png

Looks like the ECMWF is caving to the colder solutions with regards to the surface temperatures on Saturday. This is why I think using the Kuchera ratio is better.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
25 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No doubt!    She had no effects from the first dose... but people in her office have been hit much harder with the second dose.  

I had my second dose of Moderna last Friday morning. I started not feeling that well during the night but nothing that crazy but it wasn't till next day that I was feeling like I had the flu. It wasn't till like Monday that I started feeling somewhat normal. Other co workers only had mild symptoms so yeah hopefully she doesn't get any!  

Temps at midnight tomorrow night... precip is basically done.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-3289600.png

• Like 3

Looks to me like 12z Euro is slight improvement for PDX. Shows almost 3" between now and 5p.m. but give the razor's edge of precip here - any letup turns quickly to sleet/zr and even regular light snow has some ice pellets thrown in there I'd be surprised to see us get that much before the real storm arrives in the evening.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Esquimalt said:

How does the kuchera map look? 

Kuchera map for the same time period...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-3260800.png

• Like 4

And its snowing again on Sunday morning... here is 6 a.m. through noon.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_6hr-3332800.png

• Like 3

Total snow from 4 a.m. through 4 p.m. on Sunday,,,

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_12hr-3347200 (1).png

• Like 6

Here is total precipitation through Sunday afternoon... you can do your own conversions!

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-3347200.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Kuchera map for the same time period...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-3260800.png

Is there a way to get more detailed amounts if you click on certain place and zoom in? That shows near 2 feet here.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic