The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Can't you round down under 32.5?  ;)

I don't know, then you have to start using qualifiers. Then it would be a freezing high or lower...

But anyways, the software I use only records subfreezing highs if they're 32.0 or under so that's what I end up going with. It's a shame (for statistical purposes), because in the last 10 years or so I've had almost twice as many days below 33F as I have had below 32F.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

2 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Pretty concerned about that east wind up here in North Bend. It’s been ripping for a day straight. Someone tell me it’s gonna be okay... 

I saw earlier on a local North Bend group that someone asked what the January 13th, 1950 snowstorm was like in North Bend, because apparently that storm has similarities to the incoming one. I’m not saying it will end the same (probably won’t and what do I know), just thought it was fascinating and shows east winds don’t have to ruin everything necessarily:

90D77893-BFFD-450F-AB8A-D3D48CABB0C4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

I saw earlier on a local North Bend group that someone asked what the January 13th, 1950 snowstorm was like in North Bend, because apparently that storm has similarities to the incoming one. I’m not saying it will end the same (probably won’t and what do I know), just thought it was fascinating and shows east winds don’t have to ruin everything necessarily:

90D77893-BFFD-450F-AB8A-D3D48CABB0C4.jpeg

Similar stories could be told from North Bend just 2 years ago today.

b77d885d-d49c-45ed-9e9c-885877abad2b-large16x9_nbend_snow_07.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I can see the visibility dropping a bit over vashon and NE Tacoma...really cool! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

Folks on Mark’s blog are upset, they keep forgetting heavy precipitation is arriving later after sunset. 

• scream 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just checked again, still have 0.00" accumulated snow, 34 with a DP of 25.  Looking expectantly for my 2" of snow that will be happening in the middle of the night. 

• scream 1
2 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

noaa has cut my totals to 1 to 3 inches tonight after 11pm and 1 to 3 inches tommrow morning

Those east winds can be a b**ch

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

Be kind.

IG: @SeanNyberg

T:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

My thin snow cover on roads around here has largely sublimated. You know your snowpack is meager when you can notice the effects of sublimation on it with temps in the 20s and thick cloud over (albeit with the Mid February sun).

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

noaa has cut my totals to 1 to 3 inches tonight after 11pm and 1 to 3 inches tommrow morning

Yeah, this is either going to be boom or bust for me. Kind of sucks for the Whatcom and CA folks though.

Might be time to just move to Leavenworth. 

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Folks on Mark’s blog are upset, they keep forgetting heavy precipitation is arriving later after sunset. 

I'd be more upset that this thing is sleet instead of snow.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Similar stories could be told from North Bend just 2 years ago today.

b77d885d-d49c-45ed-9e9c-885877abad2b-large16x9_nbend_snow_07.jpg

True! I just didn’t think that the track of February 2019 storms were similar to tonight’s. That storm was so much manual labor at the time but my memories are fond, I’ll never forget it. Only time my jaw has ever dropped involuntarily was when I walked downstairs and saw snow up to the top of the deck rails. Lost a few plants to it, including quite a large hydrangea.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

A nice flurry fest right now :) 

whooohoooo! 

Looks cool from here! 

BD696496-955F-4E91-9215-DBCD42D48C21.jpeg

789693FC-9B62-491E-A7C6-383E4FEF59D7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

3 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

I'd be more upset that this thing is sleet instead of snow.

Likely will still switch over for many areas as precipitation actually becomes heavy.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

7 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I can't tell you how many friends have said "where's the big snowstorm?" Most of the general public doesn't understand a multiple day event. Many people have no clue that snow or freezing rain is even on the way tonight down here and that the main event hasn't even begun.

28 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

I get 1-2" total so don't feel bad.

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Took a walk up the street, in shorts, it was chilly!  29 degrees, moderate snow with still smallish flakes and a 10 mph east wind.

In shorts... love it.     I was outside in shorts a little while ago and it was not comfortable.       On Monday I shoveled off the driveway in shorts and it was calm and sunny and it was quite comfortable.    Today is a different story! 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Shawn344 said:

Geeez it’s worse than I even thought at first. NWS actually only saying an inch or so for my area now on click forecast 

Ya, not buying what they are selling, at all.  Almost every single model has 7 to 8 inches as my low end, click forecast says a total of 2 to 5.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

In shorts... love it.     I was outside in shorts a little while ago and it was not comfortable.       On Monday I shoveled off the driveway in shorts and it was calm and sunny and it was quite comfortable.    Today is a different story! 

Hell ya, might put some pants on if we go sledding, might!

• lol 1

Keep thinking the back edge is about to move in but it keeps snowing here. Tiny flakes but coming down hard. Over 5” now.

Temp is back down to 25 after an afternoon high of 26.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Ya, not buying what they are selling, at all.  Almost every single model has 7 to 8 inches as my low end, click forecast says a total of 2 to 5.

Wish I could say the same about the models lol but a lot of them seem to like the idea of having a dome of nothing around me. Worse than even the EPSL

Already getting flurries here.  It happened much easier than yesterday.  Currently a bone chilling 27 with moderate wind.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I think this place is going to be a feeding frenzy tonight for all of you living in Seattle and south.  Have fun and remember us poor suckers up north next year. 

• Weenie 3
Just now, Cloud said:

Thinking some of you may look way too much into what the NWS is saying. Better just to let it play out and enjoy the ride. 

This.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Thinking some of you may look way too much into what the NWS is saying. Better just to let it play out and enjoy the ride. 

A good gauge on how dry the air mass is will be using your location and it's proximity to KBFI to see how far west those easterlies make it. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I can relate to their frustration. This first system has honestly been super underwhelming for some areas, mine included. Mostly due to anemic precip. PDX has had about 2x the  precip as HIO today. Looking at it now, the models actually did hint at this.

80(900x900) images (7,955,529 bytes)

Fortunately precip will pick up dramatically tonight but central PDX and areas east and north will continue to be favored both in precip rate and cooler mid/upper levels.

Not gonna lie that I will be pretty disappointed if all I get out of this the rest of the event is sleet and ZR. WRF, Euro and other models show that I will do fine but so far my area has really underperformed the predictions from those models for last night into today. Just gotta wait and see what happens now. 

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Trying to stay away from any models and radar now....I quickly scroll just for local pics!  It is time just to enjoy what is served.....we can always get angry later...hahahaha 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

I can relate to their frustration. This first system has honestly been super underwhelming for some areas, mine included. Mostly due to anemic precip. PDX has had about 2x the  precip as HIO today. Looking at it now, the models actually did hint at this.

Fortunately precip will pick up dramatically tonight but central PDX and areas east and north will continue to be favored both in precip rate and cooler mid/upper levels.

Not gonna lie that I will be pretty disappointed if all I get out of this the rest of the event is sleet and ZR. WRF, Euro and other models show that I will do fine but so far my area has really underperformed the predictions from those models for last night into today. Just gotta wait and see what happens now. 

I thought you guys were getting dumped on there today? 

• iFred locked and unpinned this topic