The Weather Forums

1 minute ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Right.  But what adult beverages are you guys drinking?  I have plenty of IPAs and some whiskey.

Apple crown royal for me tonight my favorite. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Right.  But what adult beverages are you guys drinking?  I have plenty of IPAs and some whiskey.

I suppose non-alcoholic apple cider doesn’t count? That’ll be my drink of choice 

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

5 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

coffee lol. I don't drink alone. Hennessey if I was with my best friend 

You can see the east wind affect on the Euro through 7AM tomorrow (first image). Unlike the NAM and WRF, where they show absolutely nothing reaching the ground, it shows precip is heavy enough to still drop 4-5 inches E of 405.

Then after 7AM, which is when it shows the east winds really subsiding after their peak around 4AM, enough precip is still around to drop another 3-4 inches by 1PM (second image). 

This seems like a very realistic scenario to me. The east wind lessens totals initially compared to those W of 405 but since precip is heavy enough it still can make it down to the ground. Then once the winds die down, we score additional snow more easily. 

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-3228400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-3250000.png

• Like 6

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

3 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Looks like the Euro has the low much weaker, reducing the east winds and sparing the foothills? 

That map was for Sunday afternoon.    The ECMWF shows a roaring east wind out here into tomorrow morning.   But that does not mean it won't snow.   Its much more complicated than that.    It will snow plenty.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_kmh-3217600.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No dice on Monday... too warm. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-3433600 (1).png

Yeah, still sticking with our call of a non event SnoCo north. Good job buddy.

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

You can see the east wind affect on the Euro through 7AM tomorrow (first image). Unlike the NAM and WRF, where they show absolutely nothing reaching the ground, it shows precip is heavy enough to still drop 4-5 inches E of 405.

Then after 7AM, which is when it shows the east winds really subsiding after their peak around 4AM, enough precip is still around to drop another 3-4 inches by 1PM (second image). 

This seems like a very realistic scenario to me. The east wind lessens totals initially compared to those W of 405 but since precip is heavy enough it still can make it down to the ground. Then once the winds die down, we score additional snow more easily. 

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-3228400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-3250000.png

Yeah... the snow on Sunday looks like our usual heavy wet variety with temps in the 32-34 degree range and without the strong east wind.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

Yeah, still sticking with our call of a non event SnoCo north. Good job buddy.

This will be a big event up there through the entire weekend!     I just doubt it continues through Monday.

8 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

I'll be having my 16 oz glass of warm buttermilk with some pureed graham crackers just prior to my 9:00pm bedtime.

• Thanks 1

Wow temp dropping a bit quicker than expected already down to 28 here. Most surfaces starting to turn white as well. 

• Excited 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Getting some 10mph gusts from the north and east. Humidity rose a bit but dropped again. Temps have bounced between 34 and 33. Still expecting only a couple inches and a warm up Sunday night.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That map was for Sunday afternoon.    The ECMWF shows a roaring east wind out here into tomorrow morning.   But that does not mean it won't snow.   Its much more complicated than that.    It will snow plenty.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m_stream_kmh-3217600.png

Well that just makes it more fun 🤩 

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What is the total through Sunday on euro?

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_10to1-3347200.png

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

27 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Total snow from 4 p.m. today (right now) through 4 p.m. tomorrow.

This is a bit less than the 12Z run but still great for most people.    No foothill screw zone.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr-3260800.png

Does anyone have any insight into the snow hole just north of PDX (centered near Battle Ground)? This is a persistent feature across models, and just anecdotally from being here today and seeing much heavier snowfall after driving 10 min southeast, I'm curious what causes it. 

7 minutes ago, iFred said:

Getting some 10mph gusts from the north and east. Humidity rose a bit but dropped again. Temps have bounced between 34 and 33. Still expecting only a couple inches and a warm up Sunday night.

ECMWF shows almost 9 inches there through Sunday afternoon.   Are you playing the reverse psychology game that Chris has perfected? 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Austin Wright said:

Heavier precip starting in Oly now. Here it comes!

ECMWF is right on track... shows it going strong there between 5-6 p.m.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_1hr_inch-3181600 (1).png

Unfortunately starting to look like a mostly sleet/ZR event here. No snow pileup since this morning, just constant ice. Meanwhile at PDX it's been snowing all day.

At the very least we will pull off a subfreezing high. Something that has not happened since 16-17. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Austin Wright said:

Heavier precip starting in Oly now. Here it comes!

Awesome! Not too heavy yet but everything’s turning white here. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

22 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

I got a bodhi IPA and some Johnny Utahs and some Hamms tall boys cause I gotta start slow it's gonna be a long night

• Like 2

For the EPSL... the period of heaviest snow per the ECMWF will be between midnight and 10 a.m. tomorrow.  

There will be snow before that time, but the main show is from midnight through 10 a.m.

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... the snow on Sunday looks like our usual heavy wet variety with temps in the 32-34 degree range and without the strong east wind.

That post really had nothing to do with Sunday at all but appreciate the reminder that temps will be more borderline for snow on Sunday. Living up to your reputation!

• lol 3

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

• Meteorologist
25 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Guiness

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

That post really had nothing to do with Sunday at all but appreciate the reminder that temps will be more borderline for snow on Sunday. Living up to your reputation!

You said it will be easier to get snow without the east wind.   That is the case on Sunday... the air mass will be close to saturated.    It will be a wetter snow.     Probably more scenic too.     Are you really that sensitive?    😄

• Like 1

First time the roads in my neighborhood have been snow/ice covered for 24 hours since 2017. Unfortunate that we are missing out on a lot of snow today, but it is still an interesting winter event here. Mix of freezing rain and sleet and still only 27 degrees. Icy. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

First time the roads in my neighborhood have been covered for 24 hours since 2017. Unfortunate that we are missing out on a lot of snow today, but it is still an interesting winter event here. Mix of freezing rain and sleet and still only 27 degrees. Icy. 

Dad is in the screw-zone, up off of Beaver Creek rd. between Clarkes and the Meadowbrook store. He sits at 800' elevation but his current temp is 34 degrees.  Wonder what PrairieDog's conditions are.

For those people in Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties... the ECMWF shows a band of snow lifting north from the Seattle area late tomorrow morning and parking itself up there for the afternoon.   

So for Seattle the main event from the first system is through 10 a.m. tomorrow but from Everett northward the main event continues all afternoon. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_6hr-3260800.png

• Like 3
  • scream 2

16 minutes ago, thickhog said:

Does anyone have any insight into the snow hole just north of PDX (centered near Battle Ground)? This is a persistent feature across models, and just anecdotally from being here today and seeing much heavier snowfall after driving 10 min southeast, I'm curious what causes it. 

I live in that snow hole and have seen it in action.  In Jan 2017, I had 6" while my parents in Vancouver had 11".  In 2014, I had a trace, and 6 miles west had 3"+.  Looking at wind maps, we get downsloping off of Silver Star Mountain quite a bit.  I also notice the wind hits the West Hills and comes back our way from a westerly direction...

For some reason that enhances snow in the Hazel Dell/Salmon Creek area but not here...

Screenshot_2021-02-12 cgw_wssfc 24 0000 gif (GIF Image, 900 × 900 pixels) — Scaled (87%).png

2 hours ago, nwsnow said:

Having some freezing rain mixing in with the sleet here. I see HIO has been reporting ZR as well. Anyone else getting ZR?

Light rain and 30f for the last 3 hrs with minor accumulation of ice.  Starting to get a light coating of ice.  I think the sun angle evened the impact out even with clouds earlier.  As the sun gets lower it seems that changes the accumulation of the ZR.  Temp has only dropped from 30.6 to 30.2 over the last hour. 

• Like 2
  • iFred locked and unpinned this topic