The Weather Forums

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a part of several weather forums for the past 15 years and they more or less run the same. There is discussion among individuals with a large range in knowledge about weather and then there'

West side of Olympia as of 7 PM is up to approximately 5 inches and still snowing steadily. 

My front door in Troutdale this morning. Last night was incredible with 45-55 mph gusts for many hours. I'm on a hill around 300' directly facing east.

Posted Images

• Meteorologist

Steady flurries here. Higher returns over the SW Kitsap peninsula and Tacoma heading NE towards the metro.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

For those people in Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties... the ECMWF shows a band of snow lifting north from the Seattle area late tomorrow morning and parking itself up there for the afternoon.   

So for Seattle the main event from the first system is through 10 a.m. tomorrow but from Everett northward the main event continues all afternoon. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_6hr-3260800.png

I'm right on the county line across the street literally from Edmonds. Would be nice to get in on this afternoon event as well. Some very small random flakes falling in Bothell right now. 

• Like 1

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

4 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

Light rain and 30f for the last 3 hrs with minor accumulation of ice.  Starting to get a light coating of ice.  I think the sun angle evened the impact out even with clouds earlier.  As the sun gets lower it seems that changes the accumulation of the ZR.  Temp has only dropped from 30.6 to 30.2 over the last hour. 

Yeah, the timing of the heaviest precipitation being at night will make ice a pretty bit issue for some areas tonight. 

1 minute ago, wxmet said:

Steady flurries here. Higher returns over the SW Kitsap peninsula and Tacoma heading NE towards the metro.

How much elevation are you at in WSeattle?

7 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

I live in that snow hole and have seen it in action.  In Jan 2017, I had 6" while my parents in Vancouver had 11".  In 2014, I had a trace, and 6 miles west had 3"+.  Looking at wind maps, we get downsloping off of Silver Star Mountain quite a bit.  I also notice the wind hits the West Hills and comes back our way from a westerly direction...

For some reason that enhances snow in the Hazel Dell/Salmon Creek area but not here...

Screenshot_2021-02-12 cgw_wssfc 24 0000 gif (GIF Image, 900 × 900 pixels) — Scaled (87%).png

We spent a good part of the day east of Hockinson and there was an obvious difference in snowfall rates and totals. Heading up near Dole tomorrow where I imagine they'll have an extra 6+ inches. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

same timing for my area?

You are right on the edge of that snow band up north tomorrow afternoon... tough call.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Nice!  Puget Park?

Yeah I live across the bridge from Puget park. 

173B172E-287B-4794-AF28-174E73BC03C0.jpeg

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

I've been under green since 2017,  Never seems to go away.  Did manage an inch but its back to ZR.  Hoping with increased precip rates later that might might change things.  Going to be an interesting evening.  IMG_3089.thumb.jpeg.accd943067275434b5def5608003f209.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Prairiedog said:

I've been under green since 2017,  Never seems to go away.  Did manage an inch but its back to ZR.  Hoping with increased precip rates later that might might change things.  Going to be an interesting evening.  IMG_3089.thumb.jpeg.accd943067275434b5def5608003f209.jpeg

That side of town....amazing how warm it will stay.

52 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Right.  But what adult beverages are you guys drinking?  I have plenty of IPAs and some whiskey.

Dirty Shirley

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

6 minutes ago, paulb/eugene said:

Any updates from Salem?  What’s the ice/power situation there 

29.1f still a light north drift.

Pushing 1/2" of accretion on the most susceptible branches.

Just heard the first crash of a branch close by. No power flickers yet

• Like 1

IBM GRAF Rapid model snowfall from 5pm tonight to 5am tomorrow morning. You can see the snow/ice line it depicts. I think even areas just South of the line will see snow mixed in with the heavier precipitation rates though. Going to be a fun night. I hope everybody gets pummeled, go out and enjoy the snow! ❄🌨☃️🛷🥶

GRAF_RapidUpdate_Snow.jpg

• Like 1

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

16 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah I live across the bridge from Puget park. 

173B172E-287B-4794-AF28-174E73BC03C0.jpeg

Cool. That’s where we wanted to be when we decided to move to Tacoma but wasn’t much available at the time. Happy where we landed but really like the walkability of that area. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wxmet said:

I think most on here will be pulling an all nighter to be up during the heaviest of snowfall. Get your naps in while you can before the heavy precip moves in.

Haha was thinking the same thing.  I tried taking one but I have work plus the three kids at home so didn’t work out too well...

• Like 1

Early congrats to getting this thread to 100 pages. Has to be a record, right?

Still snowing consistent small flakes in Silverdale - grass turning white. Down to 32!

16 minutes ago, jakeinthevalley said:

16131782983001370196144434536264.jpg

Have in laws in Redmond Oregon so we hit up wild ride brewing whenever we are down there.  The peanut butter Porter is my wife’s favorite.  They have an ipa that I really like. 

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

For those people in Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties... the ECMWF shows a band of snow lifting north from the Seattle area late tomorrow morning and parking itself up there for the afternoon.   

So for Seattle the main event from the first system is through 10 a.m. tomorrow but from Everett northward the main event continues all afternoon. 

Northward is good! 😃😁👍

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

The wind is making it very hard to tell how much new snow we have gotten today, best guess from walking around to areas that are not banked up we are over an inch new today, just over 4" total on the ground.

What is amazing is that you are in best spot over there... its raining now on the Queets cam to your north that I referenced earlier.   You are in an area exposed to the easterly flow and farther north they are blocked.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another good thing I like about this is even the little light stuff that will start falling before the main course will stick and not go anywhere since we have been subfreezing for two days now...frozen crunchy ground! No initial meltage! And boy do I love the map Tim posted (I don’t say that often) that shows the snow going in my area pretty much all day tomorrow!! 
Let’s do this! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Temp check from everyone??  Just dropped to 12.1 here and snow is ramping up...pretty amazing February.......again.

24.8 here in Battle Ground.  Light snow continues.

21 minutes ago, jakeinthevalley said:

16131782983001370196144434536264.jpg

Looks like a good time. I usually side with Jack or Jameson. For beer I like Mac N jack a lot. 

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6", 2/15

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

Just now, TT-SEA said:

What is amazing is that you are in best spot over there... its raining now on the Queets cam to your north that I referenced earlier.   You are in an area exposed to the easterly flow and farther north they are blocked.  

Chehalis River Gap!!!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Have in laws in Redmond Oregon so we hit up wild ride brewing whenever we are down there.  The peanut butter Porter is my wife’s favorite.  They have an ipa that I really like. 

I actually mix it with the Pendleton. It is good.

Great breakfast beer on it's own!!

Just now, Tyler Mode said:

24.8 here in Battle Ground.  Light snow continues.

We've switched to a pretty healthy snow/sleet mix here. 25 degrees.

• Snow 2
  • iFred locked and unpinned this topic