The Weather Forums

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Station ordered! Got you a Acurite model 01528. I really like this station, simple and easy to read. It's been solid at my cabin. I'll pm you tracking when I get it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY when that day happe

Pm me your address and I'll send you a weather station brother. I'm dead serious. 

Wow thanks guy's.  I've been very fortunate the last few years and business has been incredible.  I really enjoy helping and it really is a family on here. No other forum is like this place, I conside

Posted Images

Also, equatorial u-wind anomalies reveal the development of intraseasonal instability in 2018, which culminated in a series of late-winter WWBs. Thus far in 2021, the low pass -ENSO Walker Cell signature has been more persistent, and there’s no indication of substantial WWB activity. And with the PV strengthening and tropical tropopause warming/lowering, the odds of significant intraseasonal instabilities are decreasing going forward.

2021 top, 2018 bottom.

8D3611C4-E77E-4843-AA5F-A5CC3055A702.png

54C15A12-9077-44B2-8C59-73044F77A4D0.png

Going forward the EPS mean indicates easterly anomalies will be centered over the IPWP into the IO (spanning most of the EHEM) w/ westerly anoms in the EPAC.

Typically, +ENSO transitions are preceded by the opposite..westerly anoms over the WPAC/IPWP and easterly anoms in the EPAC, which triggers downwelling and OKW inception near/west of the dateline.

23A16617-1F9B-4E96-85B9-8A34246424A1.png

That -NAM pattern (fewer clouds/light winds over CAB, good for radiational cooling) also helped ice volume recover somewhat from its decimation last winter, at the hands of that super +NAM (cloudier/windier, churns ice, less efficient radiational cooling).

There have been some limiting factors as well, but with the correct pattern going forward, this recovery could continue into the spring. Probably not to the extent of 2018, but it looks better than 2020.

515C9642-229F-4AFC-94ED-7BCF70472A9D.png

This is incredible stuff.

https://goldweather.wordpress.com/2021/02/21/the-week-the-south-froze-meteorological-context/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“I cannot begin to do justice to a comprehensive accounting of human and animal impacts from this event. What we can be sure of is that this will be a multi-billion dollar disaster. In my own neighborhood alone (several thousand homes) on the northwest side of the Houston metro, there were many more flooded homes during and immediately after this arctic cold outbreak than during Hurricane Harvey in 2017! This flooding occurred as pipes broke in thousands of homes, sending water cascading through attic and attached garage roofs and into homes. Even those nimble enough to shut off water to the home still suffered damage. Waiting lists for plumbers and renovation companies are miles long, and many many people are still without running water in their homes. DIY plumbing expertise is trending and there has been an epic run on PVC and fittings. Of course, businesses, schools, places of worship and residences are not generally built for this kind of cold down here; rather they’re built with endless summer heat in mind. 

Property damage owing to busted pipes only scratches the surface of the damage. Far worse is the loss of life, whose tally is still being counted. There are reports of people that literally froze to death in their homes, millions of which were without power for days leaving many unable to heat their homes (and also accelerating pipe freezes). There are still countless folks in the nation’s second most populous state without WATER! I have no idea what the toll on ranching and agriculture is but it must simply be devastating. There was literally nothing that anybody around here could do to adequately protect flora and fauna from the wrath of one of the most intense and durable cold waves in history.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Phil, in layperson's terms what are you trying to say? ENSO will stay negative? 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 9.8"                        2020-21: 40.47"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Overall pattern this upcoming week looks fairly dull. Wet and coolish, snow levels aroun 2500-3000' down here in the Oregon Cascades. 

• Storm 1

54 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Won’t be long before this starts getting worked on again! I have soooo much yard work to do soon. 

20253D6A-BA77-4F5B-A5E0-0363C2EE8C7B.jpeg

I now use the service Chip Drop for my ground cover and mulch the heck out of it! I don’t ever want to deal with those types of weeds again!  Currently I still have pile of mulch on standby in my front yard.   I’m not totally weed free but nothing like it used to be. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is incredible stuff.

https://goldweather.wordpress.com/2021/02/21/the-week-the-south-froze-meteorological-context/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“I cannot begin to do justice to a comprehensive accounting of human and animal impacts from this event. What we can be sure of is that this will be a multi-billion dollar disaster. In my own neighborhood alone (several thousand homes) on the northwest side of the Houston metro, there were many more flooded homes during and immediately after this arctic cold outbreak than during Hurricane Harvey in 2017! This flooding occurred as pipes broke in thousands of homes, sending water cascading through attic and attached garage roofs and into homes. Even those nimble enough to shut off water to the home still suffered damage. Waiting lists for plumbers and renovation companies are miles long, and many many people are still without running water in their homes. DIY plumbing expertise is trending and there has been an epic run on PVC and fittings. Of course, businesses, schools, places of worship and residences are not generally built for this kind of cold down here; rather they’re built with endless summer heat in mind. 

Property damage owing to busted pipes only scratches the surface of the damage. Far worse is the loss of life, whose tally is still being counted. There are reports of people that literally froze to death in their homes, millions of which were without power for days leaving many unable to heat their homes (and also accelerating pipe freezes). There are still countless folks in the nation’s second most populous state without WATER! I have no idea what the toll on ranching and agriculture is but it must simply be devastating. There was literally nothing that anybody around here could do to adequately protect flora and fauna from the wrath of one of the most intense and durable cold waves in history.”

That was an insane event.  This is one of the reasons I still use wood heat to back up our furnace.  All of these homes now, with no fireplaces or even chimneys for a stove, have no recourse during a long power outage.

All I can say is if this happened in Texas it could certainly happen here.  It's just a matter of time.  Of course even here we are more prepared for it.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

24 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Overall pattern this upcoming week looks fairly dull. Wet and coolish, snow levels aroun 2500-3000' down here in the Oregon Cascades. 

I think there will be some sunnier / colder periods mixed in with these cold troughs.  Maybe more so up here.  Still some pretty cold 850s being progged.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

29 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Phil, in layperson's terms what are you trying to say? ENSO will stay negative? 

Yup.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

That was an insane event.  This is one of the reasons I still use wood heat to back up our furnace.  All of these homes now, with no fireplaces or even chimneys for a stove, have no recourse during a long power outage.

All I can say is if this happened in Texas it could certainly happen here.  It's just a matter of time.  Of course even here we are more prepared for it.

Our energy infrastructure is far more resilient when it comes to cold weather readiness. A Texas-style, domino failure would not happen.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Also, equatorial u-wind anomalies reveal the development of intraseasonal instability in 2018, which culminated in a series of late-winter WWBs. Thus far in 2021, the low pass -ENSO Walker Cell signature has been more persistent, and there’s no indication of substantial WWB activity. And with the PV strengthening and tropical tropopause warming/lowering, the odds of significant intraseasonal instabilities are decreasing going forward.

2021 top, 2018 bottom.

8D3611C4-E77E-4843-AA5F-A5CC3055A702.png

54C15A12-9077-44B2-8C59-73044F77A4D0.png

It is interesting that periods where the trade winds back off between 160W and 160E is what seems to trigger colder episodes here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Our energy infrastructure is far more resilient when it comes to cold weather readiness. A Texas-style, domino failure would not happen.

Yeah...certainly nowhere near as bad.  I was more referring to a big long lasting cold wave happening here.  We are very due.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I've used nothing but wood heat now for ten years. I have a very good stove and use only very dry wood and you never even see smoke come out my chimney.  I guess I just enjoy the whole process of cutting and stacking and the smells of the wood. If done properly there is no heat that compares imo.

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It sure was a change of pace for my step daughters handling the fire wood because they've lived an apartment life style and had never even picked up firewood now they keep the stack near the house full without me even asking lol. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah...certainly nowhere near as bad.  I was more referring to a big long lasting cold wave happening here.  We are very due.

I’ve definitely heard that might be the case...

It’s pretty amazing that most of Texas saw temperatures that would borderline on unimaginable in our current climate state while their building codes are so lax when it comes to R values.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The hugely anomalous cold in Texas definitely makes me feel like something similar could happen here in Washington. What happened in Texas from a weather perspective was insane...but the power and water failures have been really crazy as well. I have some friends down in Texas who’ve really had a hard time with everything going on...but they’re alright. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-14

Monthly rainfall-5.05”

Cold season rainfall-31.87”

Snowfall-15.5”

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

I’ve definitely heard that might be the case...

It’s pretty amazing that most of Texas saw temperatures that would borderline on unimaginable in our current climate state while their building codes are so lax when it comes to R values.

People freezing to death at home is just terrible.  Hard to believe that can happen in our modern world. Most of them were probably older folks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The hugely anomalous cold in Texas definitely makes me feel like something similar could happen here in Washington. What happened in Texas from a weather perspective was insane...but the power and water failures have been really crazy as well. I have some friends down in Texas who’ve really had a hard time with everything going on...but they’re alright. 

I kinda feel like this area is a time bomb waiting to happen. Something like January 1950 or worse would be devastating. People today just aren't as hardy and to many people rely on electricity for heat. Something like 1880 or 1916 would turn our world upside down. Even just in February 19 I plowed out a bunch of older people who were snowed in without power or heat at there homes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I kinda feel like this area is a time bomb waiting to happen. Something like January 1950 or worse would be devastating. People today just aren't as hardy and to many people rely on electricity for heat. Something like 1880 or 1916 would turn our world upside down. Even just in February 19 I plowed out a bunch of older people who were snowed in without power or heat at there homes. 

Something like 1989 is our ceiling IMO... Which is not a bad limit to have. Could be higher though, as we need to keep in mind that 1989's cold snap occurred a month after the seasonal minimum. People here aren't prepared for a 15/8 kind of day, but it's certainly possible under the perfect setup.

Hell, even our recent February extravaganza could have been absolutely frigid. 31F and 11" of snow while battling a Pacific storm track is nothing to laugh at, but we were only just barely grazed by that airmass. I still hold true though that Jan 2020 would have been a biblical cold snap if there were any jet support at all.

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

Something like 1989 is our ceiling IMO... Which is not a bad limit to have. Could be higher though, as we need to keep in mind that 1989's cold snap occurred a month after the seasonal minimum. People here aren't prepared for a 15/8 kind of day, but it's certainly possible under the perfect setup.

Hell, even our recent February extravaganza could have been absolutely frigid. 31F and 11" of snow while battling a Pacific storm track is nothing to laugh at, but we were only just barely grazed by that airmass. I still hold true though that Jan 2020 would have been a biblical cold snap if there were any jet support at all.

I've been thinking about it for days.  What if we wouldn't of just got clipped by the air mass last week? I'd imagine there would of been much less snow in the Seattle area but probably record breaking cold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I've been thinking about it for days.  What if we wouldn't of just got clipped by the air mass last week? I'd imagine there would of been much less snow in the Seattle area but probably record breaking cold.

nov2010reanalysis.png.18490fd8bd57407310d5d57440f5a8d2.png

It was a Nov 2010 kind of airmass. With some jet support, probably some 22/8 clear days in there (closer to 25/15 at SeaTac airport itself.)

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Ours happened in April and May 2011. ;)

Kind of interesting the last two massive Southern Plains cold blasts happened during pretty strong Ninas. Conventional wisdom seems they are more favored during Ninos. 

14 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Ironically, something significantly closer to a direct hit likely would have spared Texas to a large extent.

A lot of it comes down to how cold advects for each region.  Total different ballgame out here where strong, widespread advection needs a lot of upper level support and forward momentum.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah my biggest concern for my house is the fact we don't have a back up heat source.  Luckily power outages are few and far between here and relatively short lived.  I talked to a contractor buddy and he said it would be quite easy to wire in a separate connection & switch so that we could at least run our gas furnace off of a small gas generator.  Fat lot of good it will do if the state legislature has its way and bans natural gas.

As far as having a Texas situation happen here, outside of the big 9.0 hitting, I would say its a "black swan" scenario for here.  If our in state power generation were to start being overwhelmed, we are connected to the national grid and can pull power in from other locations.  That is not the case in Texas.  

I've read a few different accounts that Texas was within a few seconds of a major collapse of the grid that would have taken weeks if not months to recover from.

• Like 1
  • scream 1
6 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah my biggest concern for my house is the fact we don't have a back up heat source.  Luckily power outages are few and far between here and relatively short lived.  I talked to a contractor buddy and he said it would be quite easy to wire in a separate connection & switch so that we could at least run our gas furnace off of a small gas generator.  Fat lot of good it will do if the state legislature has its way and bans natural gas.

As far as having a Texas situation happen here, outside of the big 9.0 hitting, I would say its a "black swan" scenario for here.  If our in state power generation were to start being overwhelmed, we are connected to the national grid and can pull power in from other locations.  That is not the case in Texas.  

I've read a few different accounts that Texas was within a few seconds of a major collapse of the grid that would have taken weeks if not months to recover from.

Sounds like a survival novel waiting to be written on Amazon Kindle right up in par with One Second After: which in some aspects gets nitty gritty especially in regards to simple medicines and basic necessities you might not otherwise think would be a big deal.  https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel-ebook/dp/B002LATV16/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Five+Seconds+EMP&qid=1613953906&sr=8-2  

It's set in Black Mountain North Carolina near Asheville how that area deals with the after effects of a coordinated EMP attack using realistic knowledge of what we know about them.

There's also a 2nd book but I never got into it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

A mild 50/43 here today. Thick overcast with some drizzle at times and SSW winds since this morning. Good conditions for eating up what was left of the snowpack locally. Aside from a patch here or there it is mostly confined to parking lot piles now. 

Snow started falling here about ten days ago on the dot, so not a bad run for this late in the season.

43 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Ours happened in April and May 2011. ;)

Kind of interesting the last two massive Southern Plains cold blasts happened during pretty strong Ninas. Conventional wisdom seems they are more favored during Ninos. 

With HARRP type technology nothing is 'conventional' anymore so expect A LOT of weird stuff that flies in our face of traditional 'ENSO' knowledge this decade assuming nothing gets done about it.

For all I know our next moderate El Nino could be the snowiest for Eugene/Corvallis on south or some other stupid setup.

• Excited 1
  • scream 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1
3 hours ago, Phil said:

But the PMM sign + tendency becomes a more important tool in M/A/M. So in theory there’s still time for things to change around.

But I don’t see any dynamical reason for it to do so, at the present time.

Another hot summer? It's ok to just come out and say it, we expect them every year now. ;)

• Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

On the 18z GFS both the operational and the ensemble control both drop 850s below -7 with each of the next two troughs.  Not terrible by any means.  The parallel drops to -8 on the first one and -6 on the other.  Should be some very low snow level and frost opportunities coming up.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Our buildings are more supportive of cold temps it seems like, at least all the homes I know of did okay during the cold temps of December 2008 where I hit -2F and was pretty much below freezing for a few weeks straight. We were in our 1969 split level that was completely remodeled in 2005 and the only issues I had was the regulator on our propane tank (ran the oven and fireplaces) froze one evening when we were at about 8 degrees so I opened the garage door to run an extension cord out to the tank and run the hairdryer on it, well in the 15min I had it open the well pipe froze where it comes up to the pressure tanks in the garage. Just had to close the door and pop the heater on and all was good. Otherwise we did fine. Our lake house did fine as well along with all the buildings at my old work. That said I am overly prepared for hardships, some people make fun of me but life with two young kids, and my senior mom that lives with us is busy enough...Add a natural disaster and not being prepared would be a heart attack waiting to happen! Something like January 1950 happens again there will probably not be fuel tanker trucks/Propane trucks running most likely so keep those things full when big weather is coming just in case. I do wish I had a wood burning stove, but I’m fairly confident in my gas fireplace that is our alternative source of heat, it and the blower are on the generator circuit and worked like a champ to heat the house during our 4 day outage last month. I don’t let the tank go below 50% in the winter. 

Anyway more signs of spring life around the yard! 

C20329AE-8824-4F8C-ADD3-A0F6544DDA0F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
10 minutes ago, Link said:

With HARRP type technology nothing is 'conventional' anymore so expect A LOT of weird stuff that flies in our face of traditional 'ENSO' knowledge this decade assuming nothing gets done about it.

For all I know our next moderate El Nino could be the snowiest for Eugene/Corvallis on south or some other stupid setup.

When will the HARRP hit my house? Will it be this week? I really don't want to have to drive while it's HARRPing...

• Popcorn 1
1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I've used nothing but wood heat now for ten years. I have a very good stove and use only very dry wood and you never even see smoke come out my chimney.  I guess I just enjoy the whole process of cutting and stacking and the smells of the wood. If done properly there is no heat that compares imo.

I totally agree.  Our house never truly feels warm in the winter without that stove going.  A lot of the wood I use is Douglas fir from Central WA and it burns super clean.  For some reason the smell of the wood is much more potent from the wood over there as opposed to the Doug fir from this side.  Really love that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah I CANNOT BELIEVE they want to eliminate natural gas/propane as an energy source in the state...The holy **** are they thinking? Not to get political but that is just a massive disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Another hot summer? It's ok to just come out and say it, we expect them every year now. ;)

This year will probably be our best shot in a while to avoid it.  Sometimes these kinds of trends turn on a dime and it's over.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

I totally agree.  Our house never truly feels warm in the winter without that stove going.  A lot of the wood I use is Douglas fir from Central WA and it burns super clean.  For some reason the smell of the wood is much more potent from the wood over there as opposed to the Doug fir from this side.  Really love that.

Yeah eastside forests smell a lot stronger for sure. Last summer I was at Tamanawas Falls (on a creek that drains into the east fork Hood River) which is just east of the Cascade Crest but at 3000' (still a decently wet climate and not many ponderosa pines to be found there as a result). The forest there still smells a lot stronger, like being in a Home Depot almost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah I CANNOT BELIEVE they want to eliminate natural gas/propane as an energy source in the state...The holy **** are they thinking? Not to get political but that is just a massive disaster waiting to happen.

Please tell me you are kidding!  Natural gas is totally clean burning.  What about poor saps like me who have almost everything in the house run by natural gas?  Sometimes I think the left is incapable of rational thought.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Please tell me you are kidding!  Natural gas is totally clean burning.  What about poor saps like me who have almost everything in the house run by natural gas?  Sometimes I think the left is incapable of rational thought.

Currently there would be no new construction by 2030, and everything retrofitted by 2050.  Bellingham has been pushing for the same thing, and I saw that Seattle has already done it.  

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/01/26/goodbye-gas-heat-proposals-in-washington-state-seek-to-phase-out-fossil-fuel-heating-in-buildings/

18 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think trees in drier and colder climates tend to create more potent resin. Keeping pests out might be part of it since they tend to be a bigger problem in forests where it's not as wet. It also acts as a sort of antifreeze for the trees in the winter.

• Like 3

Reading up on the possible natural gas ban it sounds like people who already have gas appliances would be grandfathered in for a long time, but it's still absurd.  Democrats seem the think electricity is the answer to everything.  Don't they realize producing electricity is mostly detrimental to the environment anyway?

Thankfully a lot of state legislatures have already passed bills prohibiting local governments from imposing bans on natural gas.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Reading up on the possible natural gas ban it sounds like people who already have gas appliances would be grandfathered in for a long time, but it's still absurd.  Democrats seem the think electricity is the answer to everything.  Don't they realize producing electricity is mostly detrimental to the environment anyway?

Thankfully a lot of state legislatures have already passed bills prohibiting local governments from imposing bans on natural gas.

I think the real timetable will depend on how quickly people start to switch over.  You may be grandfathered in but eventually there comes a point that are not enough gas customers left to economically support the gas infrastructure.  Once that happens then bye bye gas.

27 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I don't see that happening in Washington state.  Washington state, where dams are bad, coal/natural gas plants are bad, but hey, lets go all electric.  SMDH.....

The whole energy crisis in Texas kind of made me think about what could happen if there was a mass prolonged electricity shortage across the country. What if our power grid was attacked or some type of unlikely massive accident happened that shut down the grid for a long time? Probably a good idea to have lots of water and non-perishable food in case something like that happened in the future. If it did happen it would likely be some type of attack by another country. What happened in Texas was pretty crazy and I’d never imagine we would have that type of situation here in our country but it did happen...of course there were more elements at play that led to the catastrophe in Texas...but it’s something to think about as society as a whole is very dependent on electricity. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-14

Monthly rainfall-5.05”

Cold season rainfall-31.87”

Snowfall-15.5”