The Weather Forums

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The difference between heights and thicknesses always confused me.  I’ve seen explanations that would lead you to think heights and thicknesses should always be in tandem.  Obviously we know that’s not the case because we can have a Pacific bomb with heights below 530dm however thicknesses can be well above 540dm. Conversely, the same heights with a continental closes vortex below 530dm will often yield thicknesses well below 520dm.

Best explanation is thicknesses more reflect the rate of change within each parcel of air, be it 1000-850, 1000-700, 1000-500.  Directly tied to lapse rates, dew point and, in turn, precip type despite boundary layer fluctuations.

You just did your best Phil impression!   

Thanks... that does help a little.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Station ordered! Got you a Acurite model 01528. I really like this station, simple and easy to read. It's been solid at my cabin. I'll pm you tracking when I get it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY when that day happe

Wow thanks guy's.  I've been very fortunate the last few years and business has been incredible.  I really enjoy helping and it really is a family on here. No other forum is like this place, I conside

Pm me your address and I'll send you a weather station brother. I'm dead serious. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The difference between heights and thicknesses always confused me.  I’ve seen explanations that would lead you to think heights and thicknesses should always be in tandem.  Obviously we know that’s not the case because we can have a Pacific bomb with heights below 530dm however thicknesses can be well above 540dm. Conversely, the same heights with a continental closes vortex below 530dm will often yield thicknesses well below 520dm.

Best explanation is thicknesses more reflect the rate of change within each parcel of air, be it 1000-850, 1000-700, 1000-500.  Directly tied to lapse rates, dew point and, in turn, precip type despite boundary layer fluctuations.

I always thought heights referred to the actual distance in decameters between 500mb and 1000mb while thicknesses reflect an average vitual temperature (mainly determined by temp and dew point) of the same air parcel.

This explains why thicknesses are much lower in continental air masses with the same heights than maritime ones.

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

There is actually a lot of clearing out there with fairly cold 850s.  Maybe some frost tonight?  Too bad mot the snow is gone for mot people already.

I ended up with a 46 / 36 range today which is still a bit below normal.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I always thought heights referred to the actual distance in decameters between 500mb and 1000mb while thicknesses reflect an average vitual temperature (temp and dew point) of the same air parcel.

This explains why thicknesses are much lower in continental air masses with the same heights.

I think 500mb heights are just the raw height at which that level of pressure is reflected in the atmosphere. 1000-500mb thickness is the measure of the gradient between the two levels of pressure. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

There is actually a lot of clearing out there with fairly cold 850s.  Maybe some frost tonight?  Too bad mot the snow is gone for mot people already.

I ended up with a 46 / 36 range today which is still a bit below normal.

Still a few inches here outside of some sunny areas.

10 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

I always thought heights referred to the actual distance in decameters between 500mb and 1000mb while thicknesses reflect an average vitual temperature (mainly determined by temp and dew point) of the same air parcel.

This explains why thicknesses are much lower in continental air masses with the same heights than maritime ones.

It makes my head hurt.  Heights are the average temperature below that particular level of the atmosphere, but doesn’t tell the story about the rate of change based on moisture/WAA advection at the lower levels.  Thicknesses give much more of the story within the parcel.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

16 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

OKC hit a low of -14 this morning... their previous all time record low at the airport back to 1940 was -8. I know the city did hit -17 in February 1899, obviously pre-UHI at that point and a few days earlier in the month.

Pretty astounding stuff.

Wow!  Nice to see these powerhouse air masses can still happen.  If the Pacific block had been stronger last week we could have ended up having the mega record cold.  As it is I'll take what we got.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Really starting to notice the sun getting stronger. Can feel it even on cloudy days.

So depressing.

The cloud cover was so heavy during the cold snap here it was pretty easy to imagine it was December.  I think the heavy clouds were responsible for one of my sub freezing highs not being messed up.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 35

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Wow!  Nice to see these powerhouse air masses can still happen.  If the Pacific block had been stronger last week we could have ended up having the mega record cold.  As it is I'll take what we got.

Yeah, it's no where near the extent of the 1899 record cold but on a more localized level we can still see airmasses show out like this.

Came back home this evening to a winter wonderland still. 🙂

High of 43, low of 33.

Currently 39.

.25” of rainfall on the day, 5.98” for the month, and 13.70” ytd. 
20” of snowfall for the season. 

368A8429-B7CD-4D8B-90D3-F4D6746890DF.jpeg

6DA0CCD1-DBA9-4D94-9D44-219F66241CE3.jpeg

32C47E15-3DE2-4D51-9136-3ACB363E08C1.jpeg

• Like 6

Yeah... I had just told my wife there might be lightning soon and she didn't think I was being serious.   20 seconds later there was a bright flash and rumbling thunder.  😀

• Like 1
  • lol 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, 1000'NorthBend said:

Hearing thunder here, haven’t seen any lightning.

You missed the lightning then... it was very noticeable. 

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

Outside of the big snow piles in my neighborhood and shaded areas in the forest snows gone here. I’ve never seen so much snow melt so fast. From mid day Sunday to mid day today 14” of snow melted. Still a wintery look with the snow piles and patchy snow in the shade. 

• Sad 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-14

Monthly rainfall-5.26”

Cold season rainfall-32.08”

Snowfall-15.5”

2 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Hearing thunder here, haven’t seen any lightning.

Hope you did not miss that next lightning bolt!   That was bright.  

Looks like that cell is just about past us now... so far just some brief heavy rain and a little hail.

• Like 1

Would the event in Tejas be like a 1 out of 200 chance type event in a given fall-winter combo?

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Feb 24, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

3 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Wow that was fun and unexpected! Saw about 5 flashes and some pretty good hail. All of the bare spots are now covered in ice again haha

I was just headed to Safeway... are the roads all covered in ice again down there?

And just like that... another convective cell blows up right behind the first one and headed this way.

• Excited 1

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

This was bare before the hail. 

image.jpeg

Thanks... that's not bad.  But I want to wait and see what this next cell does.  It has just exploded in the last few frames.

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Make sure to use your club card!

Don't need no stinkin' card... just a phone number. 

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Thanks... that's not bad.  But I want to wait and see what this next cell does.  It has just exploded in the last few frames.

What side of town are you on?

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Huge bolt of lightning visible off to the ESE just now. That cells quite a ways away so pretty impressive.

Yeah... it is coming right at us out here.   Expect to start seeing the lightning very soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, it's no where near the extent of the 1899 record cold but on a more localized level we can still see airmasses show out like this.

I think what's been particularly impressive about this air mass is not just all the records broken (many beyond OKC), but the duration of the cold. Some insane anomalies over the past week, and the cold continues for the plains this week.

• Like 2

Low. Solar.

28 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

7dTDeptUS.thumb.png.db2a67085f04a1f773a51dc8a8321dcc.png

Literally off the charts. I'm assuming parts of that pink area was 30+ degrees below average given how big the 25+ anomolies are.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Really starting to notice the sun getting stronger. Can feel it even on cloudy days.

So depressing.

Today I got into my car at 630 PM and could feel the warmth left over from the day's sun.

48 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I think what's been particularly impressive about this air mass is not just all the records broken (many beyond OKC), but the duration of the cold. Some insane anomalies over the past week, and the cold continues for the plains this week.

Yeah, you'd have to go back to December 1983 to find similar duration extreme cold for the Plains.

• Like 1

Kinda late but I figured I'd share my thoughts on the last week. That was pretty dope! 4 subfreezing highs, a good 6-8inch snowpack for a good 48hrs, almost a week of lows in the 20s, wicked wind chills in the teens and even single digits not too far north of me, and some of the driest snow I've ever seen anywhere, let alone the PNW. The early warning shot on the 8th(right?) was also a nice treat, I'll take a dusting when I can get it. Yeah it would've been cool to have gotten real snow with the initial cold front, but it was still nice to be really cold and dry for a few days. The real magic with this event for me though was its timing. I broke my collarbone mountain biking back in late October during that nice cold front. I ended having to have two surgeries and spent much more time (3 months) in a sling and unable to work than I initially thought I would have to. If this storm had come a few weeks earlier, I would've still been in a sling waiting on my second surgery, unable to experience all the fun that comes with frigid temps and snow safely. But by the time all the pieces came together and that beautiful PV got slapped upside the head, I was 2 weeks post-op and ready to safely slide around in my Subie and even go camping in the snow with my buddy in Birch Bay. All in all, I'd give this winter a B++ weather wise, and would rank it 3rd out of my 5 winters here behind '18-'19 and '16-'17. Would have liked to have seen the cold last longer with some frigid sunny days, but can't complain. Any winter here beats Texas and Saudi Arabia! 😂

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Models have been very consistent in showing 2-5 inches here Thursday morning.  It looks possible but will be a close call for sure. 

Only a couple of us see the slight potential, this is the time of winter where I start searching every nook and cranny for 1 to 3" random snowfall potential for the next 5-6 weeks.