The Weather Forums

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Station ordered! Got you a Acurite model 01528. I really like this station, simple and easy to read. It's been solid at my cabin. I'll pm you tracking when I get it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY when that day happe

Wow thanks guy's.  I've been very fortunate the last few years and business has been incredible.  I really enjoy helping and it really is a family on here. No other forum is like this place, I conside

I will make sure to post it when I get it set up!! Did you do to college? If so, then I will post a pic of the jersey with it if I have the jersey. Thank you so much. This brings tears to my eyes

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Phil, in layperson's terms what are you trying to say? ENSO will stay negative? 

Yes early indications lean to a second year La Niña, or possibly cold neutral. In my opinion, at least.

3 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

It is interesting that periods where the trade winds back off between 160W and 160E is what seems to trigger colder episodes here.

That makes sense actually. MJO over IPWP tends to kick up NPAC surf and trigger blocking.

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

I’ve definitely heard that might be the case...

It’s pretty amazing that most of Texas saw temperatures that would borderline on unimaginable in our current climate state while their building codes are so lax when it comes to R values.

This.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes early indications lean to a second year La Niña, or possibly cold neutral. In my opinion, at least.

We are either going to have a November 1985 or 2010 redux or a December 1990 or  2008 redux. January 1950 is not out of the cards either. 

• Excited 1
1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah my biggest concern for my house is the fact we don't have a back up heat source.  Luckily power outages are few and far between here and relatively short lived.  I talked to a contractor buddy and he said it would be quite easy to wire in a separate connection & switch so that we could at least run our gas furnace off of a small gas generator.  Fat lot of good it will do if the state legislature has its way and bans natural gas.

As far as having a Texas situation happen here, outside of the big 9.0 hitting, I would say its a "black swan" scenario for here.  If our in state power generation were to start being overwhelmed, we are connected to the national grid and can pull power in from other locations.  That is not the case in Texas.  

I've read a few different accounts that Texas was within a few seconds of a major collapse of the grid that would have taken weeks if not months to recover from.

We have propane for heat and a wood burning fireplace as well. Came in handy after snowmageddon in 2010 and the 1999 ice storm..both long term power outages with rough winds and temps in the single digits in the wake of the cyclones.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Another hot summer? It's ok to just come out and say it, we expect them every year now. ;)

Almost impossible to predict this far in advance lol.

Statistically, a cool start and warm finish might be favored. But super preliminary. And I have no clue on precip yet.

• Popcorn 1
20 minutes ago, MossMan said:

We are either going to have a November 1985 or 2010 redux or a December 1990 or  2008 redux. January 1950 is not out of the cards either. 

One of these next few winters almost has to be frontloaded in your region.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Phil said:

How are 2nd year Nina's different, especially in late Fall/ early Winter, considering that in the 2nd year, I assume the atmosphere is already starting in a Nina regime, as opposed to being in transition during the same time in a first year Nina, especially considering a first year Nina is often coming off of a Nino regime?

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

If only by probabilities alone.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

Or we could be due for a dud since we have had decent to spectacular events for the last 5 seasons straight now...😱

• Confused 1

I guess I did not realize that the 1960s was basically a decade of ENSO neutral.   One wimpy Nina in there... which was preceded and followed by a Nino.

1960s.png

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

Yeah I CANNOT BELIEVE they want to eliminate natural gas/propane as an energy source in the state...The holy **** are they thinking? Not to get political but that is just a massive disaster waiting to happen.

Hmm.  We are having natural gas installed to the house this summer.  Gonna start with a fire place and think about converting other things. Electricity is very expensive.  The gas company is willing to spend several thousand dollars to extend the gas service for us, likely trying to connect as many houses as they can before regulations get tightened.  Our main source of heat is a wood stove and we like it and will keep it.  It is brand new but we are having issues with it, likely due to the new EPA regulations they imposed recently.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_53.thumb.png.01aec85e150491e77c05e92160bb4e55.png

Looks like a decent PSCZ tomorrow afternoon and evening could bring a quick snowfall to parts of the Sound.

That is Tuesday afternoon.

• Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Isn't that 9pm Tuesday?

Yes... for that image.

1 hour ago, Jginmartini said:

It’s was quite the interesting and dynamic sky tonight! Cool video! 

Ya there was definitely some wind shear going on.  The lower level clouds were also forming out of nothing. Some of my favorite weather to watch is looking west across the sound and all the cloud flows/formations.  The Olympics create all sorts of cool cloud patterns/flows. 

• Excited 1
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I guess I did not realize that the 1960s was basically a decade of ENSO neutral.   One wimpy Nina in there... which was preceded and followed by a Nino.

1960s.png

1950s and 1960s had some epic wave driving. A few of those winters likely had multiple SSWEs. Almost a permanent cold season -NAO.

Unsurprisingly the globe cooled until the late 1970s. Awesome stretch.

Would love to see those mid-20th century patterns return.

-NAO/suppressed jet was the rule, not the exception.

043B4D1C-6697-4A27-9140-EBBF0E4BB085.jpeg

Amazingly the parallel shows this area getting 3 or 4 inches of snow Tuesday night with an atypical C-Zone.  That means almost an Arctic front type situation (higher pressure to the north and higher pressure to the south) without really cold air, but cold enough.  A normal c-zone is with onshore flow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_53.thumb.png.01aec85e150491e77c05e92160bb4e55.png

Looks like a decent PSCZ tomorrow afternoon and evening could bring a quick snowfall to parts of the Sound.

That's more like Tuesday evening.  It shows a zone in south King County just like the parallel GFS.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Rain shadows gone. Have picked up 0.24” so far and getting some pretty decent rainfall currently. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

Looks like a realistic lowland snow threat with both troughs this week.  We'll see what we can do with it.  Even the ECMWF shows about 3 inches here this week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

23 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Just moved past 30" of rain YTD, this winter is now back to a D.

While I think you're too harsh with your grading I'm not as impressed as some about this winter.  Way too much crap for that one cold snap to make up for.  I give it a memorable C as of right now.  The event last weekend was impressive and I was quite impressed seeing it snow with such cold temps and all of that, but just not enough.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like a realistic lowland snow threat with both troughs this week.  We'll see what we can do with it.  Even the ECMWF shows about 3 inches here this week.

Could be interesting. 

5EF4D574-7D03-47DB-9CFC-3142336E988D.jpeg

CB808324-926D-402A-A59D-5AD0FCCE205E.jpeg

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

While I think you're too harsh with your grading I'm not as impressed as some about this winter.  Way too much crap for that one cold snap to make up for.  I give it a memorable C as of right now.  The event last weekend was impressive and I was quite impressed seeing it snow with such cold temps and all of that, but just not enough.

Just me personally I look forward to snow totals more than anything to grade a winter. I know everyone has their own ideas and preferences they like to see. In terms of cold anomalies this winter definitely didn’t really have a lot but in terms of snow it did pretty well...for me this winters an A. 3rd snowiest month since I’ve been alive. Looks fairly chilly coming up and we may even bump the snow totals up before the end of the month. 

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-63

48F and cloudy. Been a pleasant day.

• Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 47 (Most recent: Apr 9, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

43 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I appreciate your opinion.

42 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Just me personally I look forward to snow totals more than anything to grade a winter. I know everyone has their own ideas and preferences they like to see. In terms of cold anomalies this winter definitely didn’t really have a lot but in terms of snow it did pretty well...for me this winters an A. 3rd snowiest month since I’ve been alive. Looks fairly chilly coming up and we may even bump the snow totals up before the end of the month. 

If I had gotten as much as you I would feel a bit better, but still a terrible cold to gloom ratio this winter.  A lot of snow (during the cold part) in a winter like 2016-17 would have been totally awesome.

At this point I'll just take what I can get until I move to a more enjoyable climate.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

• iFred unpinned this topic