March 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Meanwhile - wind chills below zero in and around Dickinson,ND -- this map just pushed it to 3F or 4F- but before this was 21F sustained 35kts-- now moderate snow. image.thumb.png.45c6c9d716d3d3e080cc0ea95a5bea70.png

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

59 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Meanwhile - wind chills below zero in and around Dickinson,ND -- this map just pushed it to 3F or 4F- but before this was 21F sustained 35kts-- now moderate snow. image.thumb.png.45c6c9d716d3d3e080cc0ea95a5bea70.png

Exactly why I love this part of the country at this time of year, the temp here today got to the upper 70s. 52 now with the loudest wind I have  had in my time here.

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Hit 76.8 in my backyard. Warmest high since last November 3rd.

We're relatively close to wiping out the deficit this month for below normal temps in February that was 10.4 degrees below normal. March is running +7.5 so far.

If you take out 2/6-2/17, this would have been one of the warmer winters on record I'm guessing. November +4.9, December +4.5, January +5.8....

2/6-2/17 average: -8.5/ 9.4 (27.7 degrees below normal)

Rest of February: 20.8/ 40.6 (2.6 degrees above normal)

• Like 6

With just two more days to go here is where March 2021 stands. With a mean of 40.9 at Grand Rapids as of this morning GR is in 11th place in the warmest March race. 2016 is in 12th place with 40.6 and in 10th place is 2021 at 41.0 then 1894 in 9th with 41.1 and 2000 is in 8th with 41.2. In the snow fall department with just a trace of snow fall Grand Rapids is now in 2nd place and that looks like where GR will end the month unless but we shall see. The overnight low here was 46 at this time it is clear and 54 here. The grass has became much greener in the last few days and the trees now have good buds on them.

Went from very strong south winds and 60s yesterday to screaming west winds, 20s and snow/blowing snow this morning.  My house is wide open to the west for at least half a mile, it was one of the windiest/loudest nights I can remember at my place in the almost 10 years I have been in it.  Sounded like a summer thunderstorm at times.  

Getting more precip and snow this morning than anytime since at least Jan. 1, as hard as that may be to believe with all the rain in Nebraska, Iowa, etc. the last few weeks.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Hit 76.8 in my backyard. Warmest high since last November 3rd.

We're relatively close to wiping out the deficit this month for below normal temps in February that was 10.4 degrees below normal. March is running +7.5 so far.

If you take out 2/6-2/17, this would have been one of the warmer winters on record I'm guessing. November +4.9, December +4.5, January +5.8....

2/6-2/17 average: -8.5/ 9.4 (27.7 degrees below normal)

Rest of February: 20.8/ 40.6 (2.6 degrees above normal)

Feb in the top 10 coldest and snowiest while March in top 10 warmest and wettest. Feb 21 is also the 6th earliest last measurable snowfall, while this is the only other March besides 2012 and back to 1908 to have zero snow (not even a trace). March has been a worse offender than even Dec in recent years with low snowfall. 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, snowstorm83 said:

Feb in the top 10 coldest and snowiest while March in top 10 warmest and wettest. Feb 21 is also the 6th earliest last measurable snowfall, while this is the only other March besides 2012 and back to 1908 to have zero snow (not even a trace). March has been a worse offender than even Dec in recent years with low snowfall. 

Definitely wild and wacky stuff!!😁

• Like 1

Going to end March with record precipitation, but only a trace of snowfall unless I'm forgetting a small snow event.  Thought for sure with even an average March snowfall wise, that we'd jump over 50".  I think we'll finish about 45-46" of snowfall according to local media unless there is a surprise April snowfall, has happened lately.   Odd season with great snows and then long stretches of nothing.  Our school ended with 4 snow days and 1 late start.  We usually build in extra hours, so we can miss up to 5 days of school with a late start or two and not extend the year or have to go to school on the Monday after Easter.  Haven't had to make up any days since the winter of 2000-2001.

• Like 2

After a cold front with thru and dropped 0.04" of rain here the overnight low here was 32 and there was a thin crust of ice in the bird bath. The official low at GRR looks to have been 34. With a mean of 41.4 with one more day to go Grand Rapids is now at the 8th warmest March in recorded history. This month should end up in the top ten warmest but will have to wait until tomorrow to see just where. A top 5 looks good for Lansing and at Muskegon a top 10 will be a good bet but there like Grand Rapids it is still too close to call just where. As for snow fall Grand Rapids will be tied with 1945 for the 2nd least amount for any March with a trace. Lansing will also be tied for 2nd place with their trace but there it will be with several other years. And at Muskegon then should end up in 9 place for the least amount of March snow fall.

• Tom unpinned this topic