The Weather Forums

March 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

What¬†choice do we have? ūüėȬ†Just trying to do what I enjoy, playing ma‚Äô nature‚Äôs game.

And I doubt it’ll be 100% cool/troughy. I think there’s a good chance for a warm/ridgy interlude in late April and/or the first half of May.

We had a couple notable, short lived warm events in spring 2008. Mid-April, mid-May and late-June. It was pretty interesting with cold background weather, we snapped back pretty hard from each one.

Spring 2011 was different in that there was basically no major upper level ridging until sometime in mid-August. Same goes for 2010.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promise there are tears of joy under these glasses. @MR.SNOWMIZERis arguably the most gracious person on this board. ūüôŹūüŹĽ I cannot thank you enough for this. Following the weather provides a type of p

Friends, This is OT so please forgive me for disrupting your weather discussions. I just want to provide another update since my last post few weeks back about my mother contracting covid. U

52F and beautiful in downtown Springfield. If someone needs a badass to install a weather station, then call up @SilverFallsAndrew because I can’t thank him enough for helping me with this. And @

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

It‚Äôs probably only going to be 48 or so Friday. ¬†ūüėą¬†

Jesse is right, it is a losing battle, but calling a system with 1500-2000' snow levels in late March a "mild rain," is pretty ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Nineteen years ago today it snowed tonight. It was our first weekend in the new house and it looked AMAZING with the snow cover.  Then it melted and we went to war with Iraq about a year later.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

6 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

It‚Äôs probably only going to be 48 or so Friday. ¬†ūüėą¬†

Right... probably around 48-50 here and not an all day rain.     

I am using the term 'mild' in comparison¬†to some events in the last month.¬† ¬†It will be nice to have some mild rain.¬† ¬†Not in terms of our average but because it won't be threatening to turn to snow.¬† ¬† ¬† It will be nice to have some mild rain on Thursday and Friday.¬† ¬†¬†ūüĎć

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Jesse is right, it is a losing battle, but calling a system with 1500-2000' snow levels in late March a "mild rain," is pretty ridiculous. 

Wow.¬† ¬†¬†ūüėÉ

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am using the term 'mild' in comparison¬†to some events in the last month.¬† ¬†It will be nice to have some mild rain.¬† ¬†Not in terms of our average but because it won't be threatening to turn to snow.¬† ¬† ¬† It will be nice to have some mild rain on Thursday and Friday.¬† ¬†¬†ūüĎć

I guess it will be mild compared to February 14th. 

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Out of curiosity. What are your averages like this time of year?

• scream 1
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I guess it will be mild compared to February 14th. 

Yeah... it will be nice.      

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am using the term 'troll' in comparison to some posts in the last month. It will be nice to have some troll posts. Not in terms of our average Tim-Posts but because it won't be threatening to our irrational snow lovers. It will be nice to have some troll posts in March and April.¬† ūüĎć

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Troll 1

Amazingly OLM dropped to 21 and broke the record of 23 that was set just last year.  We ended up with a lot of clouds here last night and only dropped to 32.  Kind of disappointed about that.

Nice to see that PDX managed to get a freeze last night.  Tonight looks like another pretty good one.  At this point the second half of the month looks at least somewhat likely to be on the chilly side as well.  Collectively the GFS and the parallel are running about 50% on showing a cold outcome in the 10 to 15 day period, with a generally cool period before that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Tim admitting rain is ‚Äúnice‚ÄĚ is progress in my book.

He always takes this angle when certain people are excited about cold and dry weather. Just another level of the never ending mind game. He is a sad man.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's only because he wants the frosty nights to end.

• scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

He always takes this angle when certain people are excited about cold and dry weather.  Just another level of the never ending mind game.

No... that is really how I feel.   Seems like awhile since we had a regular rain event that did not involve the threat of snow here.   A mild rain.  

It is a nice day. 

F789002D-18F7-4A62-80EB-A252EE4B777C.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Mid March was a very solid event here in 2002. 16‚ÄĚ of snow spread out over about 5 days. ¬†With a sub freezing high on the 20th.¬†

March 2002 was kind of a dud down here.  It never really yielded anything big in the Puget Sound area.  I remember the Arctic outbreak happening in Whatcom County though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's only because he wants the frosty nights to end.

I do.   And thankful we avoided it last night here.    It has not been below freezing here since Saturday morning.   I suspect we will get there tonight... but then should get a few days of warmer nights.

Although... I love the sunny days and it's just a given that dry periods in March will have frosty mornings. 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I do.   And thankful we avoided it last night here.    It has not been below freezing here since Saturday morning.   I suspect we will get there tonight... but then should get a few days of warmer nights.

Although... I love the sunny days and it's just a given that dry periods in March will have frosty mornings. 

Why on earth would you care if there is frost in March?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Why on earth would you care if there is frost in March?

Because I like to see the vegetation come to life.   

• Like 1

It appears the streak of lows of 40 or below will continue for the foreseeable future.  I might have a realistic shot at a 50 day streak.  That would be pretty noteworthy.  Before that there was a long streak of sub 40 lows that was only broken by a few low 40s.  I'm betting on more frost later in the month as well.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

All about spring progressing.   A dry March is not good in the big picture.   Unfortunately it looks like that is we will end up with this month.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That was a big time weenie awakening event for me. I remember being absolutely giddy to wake up to 2-3" of snow on St. Patrick's day of all things. This was coming out of the late 90s early 2000s snow drought mind you. I got the whole thing on film with our 200 pound Panasonic VHS camcorder.

I specifically remember the childlike wonder with which you frolicked and played.  It was a truly magical day, many years before we had to worry about Christian chicken multiplying in Clark County.

For me it was a bit pedestrian having just returned from two east side winters. I was a snow-jaded monster at that point and it took a 2002-03 to help get me back on track.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

59 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

You really think you are going to be at 50 on Friday at 1100'?! Maybe if you get a sunbreak that lasts a few hours, but honestly it looks like a low 40s day down here... We are talking about sub 528 thickness and pretty cold air aloft, if precip is falling it is probably going to be pretty cold.

Yes... it is certainly likely.   The low is offshore which is a favorable location out here.    The rain is spotty with some sun breaks in between.   Not an all day, cold rain. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-6198400 (1).png

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

March 2002 was kind of a dud down here.  It never really yielded anything big in the Puget Sound area.  I remember the Arctic outbreak happening in Whatcom County though.

We always seem to do better with snowfall when the Fraser outflow gets cutoff from Puget Sound, unfortunately.  I remember driving to work one morning in moderate snow and temps in the mid 20s 

• Like 1
Just now, Deweydog said:

Friday’s temperatures are freaking me out.

Freaky Friday!!!

Some people seem to be freaked out.¬† ¬† It seems like a classic late March day to me.¬†¬†ūüĎć

Since a couple people seem really concerned about my pedestrian take on Friday... here is the new 12Z ECMWF for that afternoon.    And accounting for ECMWF cold bias... 50 here seems like its almost a given.    

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_1hr_inch-6187600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-6198400 (2).png

Friends,

This is OT so please forgive me for disrupting your weather discussions. I just want to provide another update since my last post few weeks back about my mother contracting covid.

Unfortunately she lost the battle and passed away yesterday due to complications from covid-19. She dealt with a few health issues in her life from beating stage 3 colon cancer 6 years ago to a major knee replacement surgery last year. But she was not able to overcome covid. 

Take great care of yourself and your love ones friends and I will be back soon to talk weather with you all. 

• Sad 22
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Sure you aren’t weather 10111’s uncle? ;)

I‚Äôm not an uncle to anyone. ¬†But weather101, Vancity, stuffradio, Abby_wx, etc are all my brothers. ¬†ūüá®ūüᶬ†

I’m the last regular poster from north of the border I think. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Saturday looks a little cooler as the low comes inland and onshore flow kicks in... probably upper 40s with more frequent showers.

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

This is OT so please forgive me for disrupting your weather discussions. I just want to provide another update since my last post few weeks back about my mother contracting covid.

Unfortunately she lost the battle and passed away yesterday due to complications from covid-19. She dealt with a few health issues in her life from beating stage 3 colon cancer 6 years ago to a major knee replacement surgery last year. But she was not able to overcome covid. 

Take great care of yourself and your love ones friends and I will be back soon to talk weather with you all. 

I am so sorry to hear this.    My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

I am sorry for your loss. I'll say a pray tonight for her.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

I'm so sorry to hear this, that is just awful. Thoughts with you today, and I'm not just saying that to be formal.

• Like 2

FWIW... Sunday does look like a chilly rain type of day up here with NW flow and highs only in the mid 40s and no sun breaks.   I prefer the Friday-type of rain.

Although the last few runs of the ECMWF have really backed off on the depth of that trough for Sunday so it might end up a little farther north than shown now.   Or not.    

9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

I’m so sorry to hear this. Wishing you and your family the best.

• Like 1
Just now, Meatyorologist said:

I'm so sorry to hear this, that is just awful. Thoughts with you today, and I'm not just saying that to be formal.

Just so sad... she was so close to getting the vaccine.    

• Like 1

Apparently a flood knocked all US Weather Buoy data offline and there is no estimate when it will be available again. May have a minor impact on forecast accuracy.

https://gcaptain.com/flood-knocks-u-s-buoy-data-offline/

• scream 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

24 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

Wow man. That’s terrible. I’m so sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Friends,

Horribly sorry for your loss. Thoughts for you today and wishing for the best for your family.

• Like 1

@TT-SEA you are telling me, you are not typically 5-6F cooler than Sea-Tac in a non inversion situation? For instance our high was 10 degrees cooler than SLE yesterday, and that is not an unusual scenario in a well mixed airmass this time of year. 

Definitely a nice snap in the air today.  Looks like we must have some inversion aspect going on.

The ECMWF has certainly trended toward looking like the 10 to 15 day period might be on the cold side.  Very tricky pattern evolution in the 8 to 10 day period.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Looks like Hillsboro bottomed out at 24. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1