The Weather Forums

March 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

2 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

San Juan’s are the coolest location in Washington state IMO. Lots of amazing stuff here in Washington but the islands are on their own level. 

It depends what you're looking for.  There are many spectacular places in this state, and some have great climates....at least IMO.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promise there are tears of joy under these glasses. @MR.SNOWMIZERis arguably the most gracious person on this board. ūüôŹūüŹĽ I cannot thank you enough for this. Following the weather provides a type of p

Friends, This is OT so please forgive me for disrupting your weather discussions. I just want to provide another update since my last post few weeks back about my mother contracting covid. U

52F and beautiful in downtown Springfield. If someone needs a badass to install a weather station, then call up @SilverFallsAndrew because I can’t thank him enough for helping me with this. And @

Posted Images

Beautiful day here now... partly to mostly sunny.   We have been outside all day so far doing yardwork since tomorrow is a lost cause.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

42 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

25 inches of snow still at my property at 4 feet about 1000 feet above my place. Most by far I've saw this time of year. Even the lakes are still completely frozen over.

20210327_113241.jpg

20210327_113225.jpg

20210327_113215.jpg

Some of those trees almost have a boreal forest look to them.  I love that look.  BTW...another name for a boreal forest is a snow forest.  You have to love that term!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

24 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It depends what you're looking for.  There are many spectacular places in this state, and some have great climates....at least IMO.

In terms of beauty it’s just as good or better than anything else in Washington. Has everything that Washington has all in one area. Islands, mountains, great beaches, tons of wildlife, lakes and great views of the northern cascades and Olympics. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

In terms of beauty it’s just as good or better than anything else in Washington. Has everything that Washington has all in one area. Islands, mountains, great beaches, tons of wildlife, lakes and great views of the northern cascades and Olympics. 

Not sure if you have heard... but Jim only wants extremely cold weather.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not sure if you have heard... but Jim only wants extremely cold weather.  :)

Jim would like the top of mount constitution im sure. Very interesting area on the mountain that routinely gets quite a bit of snow throughout the winter. In terms of Jim’s preferences though I’m sure central WA is more fitting for him. I’d love to go up there during a real Fraser River blast when there’s tons of snow up there. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

Ironically... the faster timing of the system tomorrow is why it's so beautiful today.   The runs with the slower timing did not show much clearing for today.   The faster timing moved up the mixing ahead of the front and now it happened during the day rather than tonight.

20210327_130142.jpg

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Ironically... the faster timing of the system tomorrow is why it's so beautiful today.   The runs with the slower timing did not show much clearing for today.   The faster timing moved up the mixing ahead of the front and now it happened during the day rather than tonight.

20210327_130142.jpg

Looks nice. Sun is trying to come out here. 52 degrees. 

34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

20210327_130142.jpg

your place is absolutely beautiful

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

It is certainly well rounded.  Same sucky climate as us though.

That having been said I think this next year will give us some of the best this climate has to offer.  In those cases it's not bad.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Jim would like the top of mount constitution im sure. Very interesting area on the mountain that routinely gets quite a bit of snow throughout the winter. In terms of Jim’s preferences though I’m sure central WA is more fitting for him. I’d love to go up there during a real Fraser River blast when there’s tons of snow up there. 

I do have some old weather records for San Juan Island and it gets pretty real during a Fraser blast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I do have some old weather records for San Juan Island and it gets pretty real during a Fraser blast.

Orcas island specifically on top of the mountain gets blasted. The watchtower on top of the mountain is really exposed to NE winds. I’m going to try and line up a trip next winter to be up there during a nice Fraser River blast if we get one. Every winter the last 4 years I’ve been up there has had significant snow in February and March when I’ve been up there. Really an amazing spot in terms of weather and beauty on the mountain. 

03A0D5F3-CCB1-4693-B00C-820B551187B6.jpeg

• Like 3

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

Just got a wind advisory for this area tomorrow afternoon. Can’t remember too many times we’ve gotten wind advisories this late in the season...I remember us getting one in April 2019 though. 

• scream 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

Daffodils are starting to bloom! 

8F0C2D28-3594-428C-8D1D-96E8611AD2AB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

2 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Just got a wind advisory for this area tomorrow afternoon. Can’t remember too many times we’ve gotten wind advisories this late in the season...I remember us getting one in April 2019 though. 

The HRRR agreees 

Lovely day out in the yard spreading compost with a high of 55* 

Cocktail time !

3582557A-CDBF-4ACC-94FF-9D6F1513E60E.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

The HRRR agreees 

Lovely day out in the yard spreading compost with a high of 55* 

Cocktail time !

3582557A-CDBF-4ACC-94FF-9D6F1513E60E.jpeg

56/40 here...was a pretty nice day overall sunny for a lot of it. Tomorrow should be an interesting weather day.

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

The models are indicating an amazing dump of cold air over the Eastern GOA in early April.  I would love to see that fast track right to us, although that isn't shown right now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

3 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

That is going to be a really cold wind too.  I remember one time we had a freezing SW wind here, and it wasn't just pushing around existing cold air either.  They are extremely rare, and I couldn't believe it.  This time we might see mid 30s during the wind which is still rare for SW.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Another project done! The kids will now have soft wood chips to bounce their heads off of when they fall off that thing instead of hard ground and mud. 

Remained cloudy up here all day. 

C1F09193-D8C5-4895-8021-4E4AF6E2E5A1.jpeg

• Like 6

Just about 60 here today... and quite a bit of sun.  Makes the misery of tomorrow sitting inside watching cold rain a little less painful.   :)

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just about 60 here today... and quite a bit of sun.  Makes the misery of tomorrow sitting inside watching cold rain a little less painful.   :)

We should both cut ourselves while staring out the window tomorrow at 11am. It would make us brothers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 1
20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You don’t have to be stuck inside. In fact, weeding, planting, and tilling are more efficient when the ground is wet.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Phil said:

You don’t have to be stuck inside. In fact, weeding, planting, and tilling are more efficient when the ground is wet.

Tim will die if he gets wet from rain, you should know that by now..¬† ūüėą.

• lol 1

hemlockforest.thumb.jpg.a1073c4bbeb465aeb2a02abab64c90e1.jpg

Took this cool picture at Silver Falls which doesn't even have a waterfall in it. It's the hemlock forest between the North Falls and South Falls parking lots.

northfallsmoss.thumb.jpg.7ebd945d23713573e6a5631556786ada.jpg

Here's one that features North Falls. I did the full trail of ten falls.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah... we would do that in 60-degree rain.¬† ¬†Not tomorrow with a 30 mph wind and 40 degrees and sideways rain and sleet.¬† ¬†ūüėÄ

And Monday-Wednesday look nice anyways.   And then we have a long weekend of mid 80s and sun at the pool with tropical drinks! 

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

Side note... our ground is usually sopping wet until the 4th of July. 

• Like 1

I can‚Äôt believe how awful tomorrow is going to be. Sure would be nice if I died tonight but it seems doubtful.ūüėü

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Weenie 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I can‚Äôt believe how awful tomorrow is going to be. Sure would be nice if I died tonight but it seems doubtful.ūüėü

We're only about 3" below normal rainfall for the month so this is absolutely torturous indeed. And an agonizing 2-hour stretch of rain in the evening awaits us tomorrow...

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 49¬†(Most recent: Apr 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3¬†(Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

14 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

No Matt... there is so much to live for!   :)

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

suicideweather.thumb.gif.9c03da63b5696a4bb0a66b56f415d059.gif

Tomorrow's suicide weather.

Pretty crass to talk like that... just because it's not a good yardwork day.  

• Like 1

Honestly, tomorrow would be whatever weather on a different day but it's the fact that it falls on a weekend and on a SUNday no less that really grinds my gears. Those days are supposed to be sunny, it's in the manuscript! LOL!

Might have to high tail it on over to my favorite watering hole in beautiful Othello for a few hours just to make sure the weekend gets done right.

Oh yeah, and sun doesn't really cause cancer... I mean there's really no clear link. Rain on the other hand is literally death from above to people and furry little animals alike if you get too much. So remember that the next time you see some long winded rant speaking unfavorably of the weather that 92% of people everywhere love. Weather forum freaks!

• Like 2
  • lol 1
15 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Honestly, tomorrow would be whatever weather on a different day but it's the fact that it falls on a weekend and on a SUNday no less that really grinds my gears. Those days are supposed to be sunny, it's in the manuscript! LOL!

Might have to high tail it on over to my favorite watering hole in beautiful Othello for a few hours just to make sure the weekend gets done right.

Oh yeah, and sun doesn't really cause cancer... I mean there's really no clear link. Rain on the other hand is literally death from above to people and furry little animals alike if you get too much. So remember that the next time you see some long winded rant speaking unfavorably of the weather that 92% of people everywhere love. Weather forum freaks!

4th totally rainy Sunday in a row.   Yeah... that sort of sucks.   Why not Monday?   :)

You are so sensitive! I was actually just playing off Jim's excitement.   Oh well.   Our weather can suck.   Which you often say as well.  

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

4th totally rainy Sunday in a row.   Yeah... that sort of sucks.   Why not Monday?   :)

You are so sensitive! I was actually just playing off Jim's excitement.   Oh well.   Our weather can suck.   Which you often say as well.  

Wednesday currently looks really nice, but alas I will be confined to my secret underground lair all that day.

• Sad 1

Beavers in the Elite 8?   When is the last time that happened?

Joking aside... it is sort noteworthy how little it has rained this month in terms of time.   And tomorrow is another example.   Quick hitting storm with rain for 6 hours and then 3 or 4 days of dry weather again.   The Sunday afternoon timing is sort of annoying but it has been quite pleasant overall compared to how it can be in March.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Joking aside... it is sort noteworthy how little it has rained this month in terms of time.   And tomorrow is another example.   Quick hitting storm with rain for 6 hours and then 3 or 4 days of dry weather again.   The Sunday afternoon timing is sort of annoying but it has been quite pleasant overall compared to how it can be in March.

Just watch Gonzaga destroy Creighton tomorrow and be joyful that it is another day of being alive!!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Beavers in the Elite 8?   When is the last time that happened?

1960s.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 49¬†(Most recent: Apr 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3¬†(Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Just now, TigerWoodsLibido said:

1960s.

It says 1982... but that was vacated by the NCAA.

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Really no evidence of a wetter than average regime anytime soon, either.

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

My brother picked Oral Roberts, UCLA, and Oregon State in his final four. Would have been crazy if Oral Roberts didn't lose today.

That last shot was sooo close... would have won it. 

• Like 2

• iFred unpinned this topic