The Weather Forums

March 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

12z Euro sure turns nasty towards the end of the run. Hopefully being too aggressive with cutting off energy from the next trough.

Won’t have to worry about any sustained warmth or ridging with this background state going as strong as it is. Minus a couple days here and there, it’s a sea of cooler than average for the foreseeable future.

• Excited 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promise there are tears of joy under these glasses. @MR.SNOWMIZERis arguably the most gracious person on this board. ūüôŹūüŹĽ I cannot thank you enough for this. Following the weather provides a type of p

Friends, This is OT so please forgive me for disrupting your weather discussions. I just want to provide another update since my last post few weeks back about my mother contracting covid. U

52F and beautiful in downtown Springfield. If someone needs a badass to install a weather station, then call up @SilverFallsAndrew because I can’t thank him enough for helping me with this. And @

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Do you use a fork or spoon? I prefer a spoon when digesting a SSW.

patrick eating GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I just open wide!   Unfortunately it dumps out of my brain just as fast :( 

• lol 2

Not sure what changed, but anyone expecting a warmer and/or drier than average month in the PNW is going to be sorely disappointed.

• Sun 1
  • Weenie 1
Just now, Phil said:

Anyone expecting a warmer and/or drier than average month in the PNW is going to be sorely disappointed.

Not sure who ever said that.    Drier than average might happen though.

15-day precip anomaly per the 12Z EPS... a stormy pattern in CA often means western WA is drier than normal.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-qpf_anom_15day-6155200.png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

33 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Few more orcas photos. Was pretty awesome hiking up the mountain to find a foot of snow still on the ground. Not the most I’ve seen up there but still really cool. Will be back a couple times next winter hopefully they’ve got an even bigger snowpack next time. 

590DF4BD-84FB-430D-84DE-B120FD61848B.jpeg

6F50CD27-85B3-43DB-A1FF-6A759DBC7F6B.jpeg

1DA047D7-3351-4CCF-BC44-ECF952A8DF01.jpeg

A86ED0EC-D193-44AF-84EC-0DB49B5DE072.jpeg

Love the first photo with the Pacific Madrone trees and the emerald green looking water.....paradise :) 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not sure what changed, but anyone expecting a warmer and/or drier than average month in the PNW is going to be sorely disappointed.

Don't know where you're seeing wetter than average? Models don't seem to show a strong jet anytime soon, mostly just troughing diverting precip into parched California. Does the MJO/background state favor a strong jet at some point in the month?

The 18z parallel shows an Arctic outbreak around day 10.  The progression is a lot like the 12z, but the details are better.  It shows some lows in the teens in some places.  I would love to see that!

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think drier is possible with the jet suppression being shown on the models.  Right now the CPC is going cold / dry for us at least in the mid range.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

It interesting the GFS operational and parallel are pretty similar around day 6, but from there on the two pieces of high pressure that the parallel turns into a GOA block are handled differently by the operational.  It wouldn't be too shocking to see a cold snap around mid month.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

I figured that might be why the models showed that warm blast today.  Places that avoided that have fallen quite short on temps.

Clouded up quick with rain on our doorstep now. Down to 57 with SSW winds so thankfully we avoided it again.

14 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Don't know where you're seeing wetter than average? Models don't seem to show a strong jet anytime soon, mostly just troughing diverting precip into parched California. Does the MJO/background state favor a strong jet at some point in the month?

It's March 4th.

25 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

The first half of the month could be slightly drier than average. But I suspect the second half will more than compensate for that.

• Like 1

Looks like A 53 / 32 day here today.  I'll take it since it looked like upper 50s were a lock 24 hours ago.  We've gotten through the warmest air mass we will see in quite some time with no above normal daily averages for many stations.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Some chilly ensemble members at the time the parallel shows the cold snap.  Interesting.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 52

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

The ECMWF is great with surface temps and it shows the next 10 days averaging out almost perfectly normal.   

Splitting hairs... if its rainy then the nights will be warmer and if its dry then the days will be warmer.   Either way... significant cold or lowland snow is not really in sight at this point.

Probably won't really ever happen again.

• scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Nice and rainy outside. Great day to do some dev work and drink some tea. We're also at that point of the year where you can hear frogs outside and birds at 2am. Nothing has moved past budding but still expecting that explosion of green that first week of April.

I'll savor my spiny tree vistas and winter sun afternoons for a couple weeks more.

IMG_0498.jpeg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, iFred said:

Probably won't really ever happen again.

I have a good feeling about a front-loaded winter next year. 

But you could be right.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We‚Äôve picked up 0.16‚ÄĚ so far today.¬†

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I have a good feeling about a front-loaded winter next year. 

But you could be right.  

I get the same feeling. We’re due for some cold and snow early in the winter and a dull February next year. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I get the same feeling. We’re due for some cold and snow early in the winter and a dull February next year. 

Would be really nice to have winter centered around December and spring start sometime in February.  :)

1 hour ago, Jginmartini said:

Love the first photo with the Pacific Madrone trees and the emerald green looking water.....paradise :) 

I had the same thought. I’ve always liked Madrone trees.  They feel kind of uniquely PNW.

• Like 1

Crazy start of March of almost 70 degrees the past few days. For today low was 30 and the high looks like will be 67 again. Will be back with some rain tomorrow though. 

image.png.5b92bcb77deda73d2e970b0e34bf36a9.png

• Sun 1
  • scream 1
13 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Wow, just... ya, forum today is cluttered like it used to be.

Basketball is heating up and it's taking a lot of my time these days. That said, once April comes around I'm usually here more often.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 49¬†(Most recent: Apr 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3¬†(Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Just now, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Basketball is heating up and it's taking a lot of my time these days. That said, once April comes around I'm usually here more often.

Not about lack of posts, I am talking about certain posts that are very plentiful today.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I had the same thought. I’ve always liked Madrone trees.  They feel kind of uniquely PNW.

I have one of those trees.  Not sure if they are native this high up or if it was transplanted here. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

7 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I have one of those trees.  Not sure if they are native this high up or if it was transplanted here. 

Interesting. I can only recall ever seeing them right at the water’s edge on the Puget Sound but Wikipedia says they are common in the Oregon coast range. So maybe yours is native to the area. 

3 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Interesting. I can only recall ever seeing them right at the water’s edge on the Puget Sound but Wikipedia says they are common in the Oregon coast range. So maybe yours is native to the area. 

Madronas are probably one of my favorite trees. We’ve got some here in Tacoma especially point defiance. Lots of the islands around the area have them too...Anderson island has got quite a few over on the west side. 

• Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39‚ÄĚ

Warmest high temp-63

It was very fitting that the work van hit 100k miles exactly at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass today. I don‚Äôt even know how many hundreds of times I have gone over the pass over the last 6yrs transporting thousands of animals¬†with that van...In every weather condition there is! My volunteer assistant riding with me today took this¬†pic when I was at 99,999miles! Super nice morning! Too bad it went downhill so quickly. Raining and 44 currently, .14‚ÄĚ so far on the day.¬†

4F80213C-BF57-4E1F-98D6-9126EABA0AC1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sun 1
4 minutes ago, T-Town said:

They are part of the native vegetation on the Willamette Valley floor and you will find them mixed in with garry oak in oak savannas. They are drought resistant and thrive in a massive annual precipitation range. Wikipedia says they are scattered on the west slope of the Cascades and Sierra.

6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

They are part of the native vegetation on the Willamette Valley floor and you will find them mixed in with garry oak in oak savannas. They are drought resistant and thrive in a massive annual precipitation range. Wikipedia says they are scattered on the west slope of the Cascades and Sierra.

I’ve learned a few things about Madrone trees today. Including how to spell Madrone....

31 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Hood looks pretty cool right meow.

Looked like something out of Lord of the Rings crossing the 205 bridge earlier.

15 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Madrones grow in coastal locations well on up the Hood Canal and Puget sound to the Straits of Juan de Fuca and Georgia. There are a ton of them in the lower elevation woods around Port Townsend.

They seem to be pretty rare in the immediate I-5 corridor until you get south of Eugene. Although there are some patches along the lower Columbia near Kalama.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I’ve learned a few things about Madrone trees today. Including how to spell Madrone....

Both spellings are used. According to Wiki¬†‚Äúmadrone‚ÄĚ is more common in CA and ‚Äúmadrona‚ÄĚ is more common in the PNW.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Madrones grow in coastal locations well on up the Hood Canal and Puget sound to the Straits of Juan de Fuca and Georgia. There are a ton of them in the lower elevation woods around Port Townsend.

They seem to be pretty rare in the immediate I-5 corridor until you get south of Eugene. Although there are some patches along the lower Columbia near Kalama.

Cooper Mountain Nature Park's oak savanna areas have madrone mixed in (although in smaller numbers than the oaks), so that was my reference point. Unfortunately untouched oak savanna is pretty hard to come by in the north valley so I don't have too many examples. Madrones definitely exist on the Willamette Valley floor but I'm not aware of any areas where they are the dominant species.

1 hour ago, MWG said:

Crazy start of March of almost 70 degrees the past few days. For today low was 30 and the high looks like will be 67 again. Will be back with some rain tomorrow though. 

Looks a little windy in Medford today.

windymedford030421.png.58f7b443a71b4a81bc370deae12158af.png

48 minutes ago, MossMan said:

It was very fitting that the work van hit 100k miles exactly at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass today. I don‚Äôt even know how many hundreds of times I have gone over the pass over the last 6yrs transporting thousands of animals¬†with that van...In every weather condition there is! My volunteer assistant riding with me today took this¬†pic when I was at 99,999miles! Super nice morning! Too bad it went downhill so quickly. Raining and 44 currently, .14‚ÄĚ so far on the day.¬†

4F80213C-BF57-4E1F-98D6-9126EABA0AC1.jpeg

What do you do if you don't mind me asking. Are you a vet?

10 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

What do you do if you don't mind me asking. Are you a vet?

I work for a¬†nonprofit¬†animal rescue/adoption¬†organization, we transfer in healthy adoptable¬†dogs and cats from overcrowded open intake shelters across the state and country, fully vet them including spaying/neutering and then they go up for adoption. I my job is organizing all of the ground and air transfers including going on location (with the in state transfers)¬†to transport them. ūüôā

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Cooper Mountain Nature Park's oak savanna areas have madrone mixed in (although in smaller numbers than the oaks), so that was my reference point. Unfortunately untouched oak savanna is pretty hard to come by in the north valley so I don't have too many examples. Madrones definitely exist on the Willamette Valley floor but I'm not aware of any areas where they are the dominant species.

I could be mistaken but I don’t think they would have been a dominant valley floor species, even pre-settlement. They tend to like well drained, rocky slopes. Preferably south or west facing in the more northerly parts of their range.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MWG said:

Records are in the mid 70s there now. Such a different climate than most the PNW.

Low. Solar.

Some 45-degree rain here tonight... very March-like.

• Rain 1

14 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Looks like a gully-washer perhaps right between you and Seattle.  Issaquah anyone?

It was over my area too... it was not heavy here.

53 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Records are in the mid 70s there now. Such a different climate than most the PNW.

Vegetation-wise, it is grouped in with northern California rather than the PNW. Lots of CA native species meet their northern native limit around the Rogue-Umpqua divide.

When one thinks of the PNW, this is usually not the image that comes to mind:

Applegate Chaparral: A Unique, Underappreciated & Threatened Ecosystem ‚Äď  Applegate Neighborhood Network

2 hours ago, T-Town said:

I had two sprout in my yard many years ago.   Thought they were rhododendrons at first so let them grow.  So glad I didn’t pull them out of the ground like weeds!   Now their 25 feet tall!  The hummingbirds have also made them home. 

• iFred unpinned this topic