January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

What?

I didn't say anything about thinking this winter will do anything good. I asked when it will change. That could mean later this year, next year, whenever. Are you saying you don't think it will ever change? This post pissed me off as you can tell.

Definetly , it will change. When? Not sure. I take each day for what it gives and I enjoy. I enjoy cold, snow but I cannot allow it to affect my life if it doesn't happen.

Not really sure why it would piss you off...not intended to do so. But I'm no sure why you put so much stock in Phil's analysis.

Just a ghastly season for the mountains. Hard to believe we have more warm rain coming after all of this warm ridging.

It's that nightmare trough that keeps digging over the NE Pacific. No mater what combination indices we have had that thing finds a way to stay there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Definetly , it will change. When? Not sure. I take each day for what it gives and I enjoy. I enjoy cold, snow but I cannot allow it to affect my life if it doesn't happen.

Not really sure why it would piss you off...not intended to do so. But I'm no sure why you put so much stock in Phil's analysis.

I just didn't understand why you thought I was desperately grasping at some kind of straws for the rest of the winter. When I asked the question I put no time constraint on it. I happen to think it may not really change until spring 2016, but it could happen later this year if the ENSO cooperates.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

JB is also saying the warm blob anomalies we're seeing on the West coast right now will completely reverse within 3 years.

3 years? Now there's a daring call. :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm thinking neutral or weak La Niña, forcing wise. It's early to make definitive calls this far out, but I'm starting to like 2013-14 and 1993-94 for next winter. If we can develop a solid low frequency La Niña forcing, then I think we can go bigger.

As for the Sun, it's role on a seasonal scale is mostly priming the winter stratosphere. Considering thermodynamic lag, the Sun is most important from June through December, though the August-November period is the most important..

I'm wondering when it will be, that you'll finally come to appreciate that there just might be some value in working to convey what you have in mind, more definitively. As in, less casually, so as to perhaps be understood and appreciated by more then just a more select few, more inclined to subscribe to your more esoteric (even more "off the wall" at times.) choices where referring to ideas more either whether more meteorological or climatological. 

Should I perhaps point to a few of those more casual choices here above. ? .. You seem always, to stay just barely inside the lines where expressing / submitting your thinking. "Sounds" good enough "sorta". Albeit. (?)

.. I .. Just don't understand why you don't "work" a little bit more to "spell" out what you have to say, as opposed to just more leaving these short little indictors more to whatever it is that you might have in mind more. 

---

Arctic air invading Montana tonight. It's been like clockwork for three consecutive months to have an Arctic outbreak in the West around the first of the month. Too bad this one didn't even come close to getting us though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

He was forecasting lots of +PNA ridging for this winter. Guess he did okay with that call.

Everyone was though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Snow around March 1-15th sounds about right.

What I'm looking at best case at this pointwith the more substantial cold having been sitting over Alaska appearing to a have "scooted" more SE* and to the "wrong" side of the main "Divide" north, .. is a "Late Spring"; .. at very least more "wet", and with at least some amount of wetter "snow" in the mountains more fully north/south. 

*-http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n8&inv=0&t=cur

---

• 1 year later...