January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

That's why I have pushed myself to learn as much as possible regarding what I feel is one of the most underated tools in medium-long range forecasting. I got sick of depending solely on what the models were advertising, only to have them flip flop every day. Knowing the expected overall regime configuration before the models even show it is a great feeling. A feeling you'll never have the opportunity to experience if you continue to mock everyone.

Could you do me a favor. And perhaps say something to this effect, tacked into the thread that I've initiated (here in the main "The West" Section.) toward serving as a general resource, entitled "Model 'Pros' and 'Cons'". ? 

Perhaps expanding on what you've suggested only more here above. What you're referring to here more specifically.

---

My goal is to get a place where it snows regularly and live there.  Somewhere with much less rain, much more sun, a lot more cold, and a lot more snow sounds pretty inviting.  My wife and I are kicking around the idea of moving to Missoula. 

Kalispell? Easily better than Missoula, in my opinion.

A forum for the end of the world.

The consistent warmth last year was remarkable. The fact that we did it without any top-tier airmasses during the warm season made it even more remarkable, IMO.

I'm looking at the idea sort of as .. what heat wise, didn't continued to develop Nino wise, has been focused more Northwest, more broadly speaking. 

This idea relative to a more basic theory that I'm looking at that while the poles / higher latitudes N/S have been taking on more cold (more multi-decadal timeframe.), nearer to the equator has been warming. .. (incidental mention.)

---

Where exactly is your cabin again? I can't remember.

I want to be up in the Metaline Falls area. Looks sparsely populated. I am tired of people and traffic, would be nice to have a snowy get away!

15 miles north west of republic. 10 miles from canada. 3600 ft
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

My area ended up getting about 2.5" of snow. Now, its freezing rain. The ice is building on power lines, trees, and rails. This event is ok especially in the Fraser Valley. There is a picture of iclies on the cam about 10 minutes north of here. That area got a bit less of snow than here but the current condition is about the same.

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/cameras/537.jpg

• Like 1

My friend just drove across Hwy 2. Said there were lots of accidents. Looks bad out there..

Probably caught a lot of people off guard. This is pretty unusual for early January, moreso what you'd expect starting about early March or so.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Good example of how delicate these weak outflow events are. Blaine, Vancouver, and Bellingham get 34 degree rain while a few miles away at the same elevation there's snow.

Definitely an underperformer for B.C. folks though. I thought more of V.I. and the Vancouver metro would score accumulations.

Yep, 24hrs ago I thought I would be waking up to snow this morning. In reality it wasn't even close. Not a flake. Even places in the 1000-1500ft range had light to even no accumulation. The flow never really went easterly here I guess, no cold air damming.

Looks like some intense rainfall down around Olympia and on the east side of the Olympics. High and dry here as I am currently being shadowed.

Also temp has been going up a degree per hour most of the day, started out at 35, now up to 44.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Kalispell? Easily better than Missoula, in my opinion.

Maybe...the requirements for my wife are a big enough city to have everything you need close at hand and somewhere that it doesn't take too long to drive to Seattle.  Missoula is right on I-90 so it's handy.  Even though Missoula is semi arid it gets over 40 inches of snow a year and it's quite cold in the winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks interesting traffic wise at Stevens as well.

Such a bummer most of the snow will be wiped out again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My goal is to get a place where it snows regularly and live there. Somewhere with much less rain, much more sun, a lot more cold, and a lot more snow sounds pretty inviting. My wife and I are kicking around the idea of moving to Missoula.

Meh, I'd just get out of the PNW..marine climates suck. Move to Maine or New Hampshire..both are much cheaper places to live..and their snowfall averages are actually increasing.

Meh, I'd just get out of the PNW..marine climates suck. Move to Maine or New Hampshire..both are much cheaper places to live..and their snowfall averages are actually increasing.

Missoula doesn't have a marine climate.

The winters there are great and it definitely beats moving across the country, especially for someone who still has ties in the Seattle area.

Missoula to Seattle is a very doable day's drive.

Also Montana's scenery kicks Maine and New Hampshire around the block. They have real mountains.

• Like 5

I would easily pick Montana over the east coast, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Such a bummer most of the snow will be wiped out again.

That's what happens when we are incapable of staying in a cold pattern for more than 7-10 days.

The warm intrusions the past year or so have all been ridiculously aggressive.

Just not doable with the over situation I have.  Besides...the average temp in Missoula in January is 22 degrees.  Colder than the vast majority of the eastern half of the country.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just realizing there are lots of things that are more important than worrying whether the weather is above or below average. :)

Easy to say, but hard to practice...

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 18z continues to show the possibility of a cool and somewhat active pattern later in the month.  A combination we have had a real hard time coming up with this season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Cowboys for Super Bowl!

Dissapointing day today weather wise tho

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Just not doable with the over situation I have. Besides...the average temp in Missoula in January is 22 degrees. Colder than the vast majority of the eastern half of the country.

Ah, sorry to hear that.

It's mostly environmental preference I guess. I love the scenery out west, but there's just not enough in the way of large scale dynamics and summer convection to satisfy me. I'm moving west mostly because my wife wants to, so we're looking at Leadville CO.

As far as winters go, the upper NE USA is hard to beat in terms of storm-size and cold air.

The 18z continues to show the possibility of a cool and somewhat active pattern later in the month.  A combination we have had a real hard time coming up with this season.

Its a pattern that has largely been absent the past 3 winters save about 10 days in December 2012. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Cowboys for Super Bowl!

Dissapointing day today weather wise tho

They did not look stellar today, if it wasn't for the refs helping them out I don't think they would have won that game.

They did not look stellar today, if it wasn't for the refs helping them out I don't think they would have won that game.

I agree, Romo was a bit off after a great season, and Dez Bryant was mainly shut down. I'm very nervous for the Greenbay game. I believe Dallas is the only team that COULD beat Seattle. Not saying they will but those 2 teams match up good. But Green Bay will most likely win.

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Missoula doesn't have a marine climate.

The winters there are great and it definitely beats moving across the country, especially for someone who still has ties in the Seattle area.

Missoula to Seattle is a very doable day's drive.

Also Montana's scenery kicks Maine and New Hampshire around the block. They have real mountains.

Sandpoint has a pretty close to ideal climate IMO. Gorgeous area, too

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?id8137

• Like 1