January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

Still not raining too hard here, but it looks like it is dumping down near Shelton and Olympia.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Sad... 850 mb temps have really gone up. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/s11/850mb/850mb_sf.gif?1420425684786

Turning to sleet at Snoqualmie Pass.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I looked up the stats for Sandpoint, Kalispell, and Missoula. I'd definitely take Sandpoint.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I think that's called a murder of Elk. :)

There is a large elk herd up here. They move around quite a bit, but they prefer some of the grass fields on the high rolling plateau about 2 miles from my house, I saw them out there the other day. I'd say at least 75-100 of them. They usually move at night meaning I've almost hit a few late at night driving home. Going to work in the morning I've seen the carnage of an elk vs. vehicle collision on a couple of occasions.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

There is a large elk herd up here. They move around quite a bit, but they prefer some of the grass fields on the high rolling plateau about 2 miles from my house, I saw them out there the other day. I'd say at least 75-100 of them. They usually move at night meaning I've almost hit a few late at night driving home. Going to work in the morning I've seen the carnage of an elk vs. vehicle collision on a couple of occasions.

There are no Elk here, but there are deer. I haven't seen one here, but a neighbour said ever since they lost their dog, a deer was coming by and eating their vegetables.

Ah, sorry to hear that.

It's mostly environmental preference I guess. I love the scenery out west, but there's just not enough in the way of large scale dynamics and summer convection to satisfy me. I'm moving west mostly because my wife wants to, so we're looking at Leadville CO.

As far as winters go, the upper NE USA is hard to beat in terms of storm-size and cold air.

Not really familiar with Leadville (except for the fact they get really cold), but there is certainly a lot of late spring/summer convection in CO. Though of course the really big storms tend to form out on the plains.

A forum for the end of the world.

I looked up the stats for Sandpoint, Kalispell, and Missoula. I'd definitely take Sandpoint.

Any reason why? Kalispell is notably colder in the winter and gets slightly less snow, but it tends to be less sloppy and doesn't melt. The average snow depth in January in Kalispell is 16". In Sandpoint it's 9". They're almost identical in the summer.

Both are really nice areas.

Interesting. I never saw elk when I lived around there, but lots of deer. Actually hit a couple, unfortunately.

Endless battle with elk here... and driving fast after dark up our hill can be a big mistake. They are also very destructive to lansdscaping.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Any reason why? Kalispell is notably colder in the winter and gets slightly less snow, but it tends to be less sloppy and doesn't melt. The average snow depth in January in Kalispell is 16". In Sandpoint it's 9". They're almost identical in the summer.

Both are really nice areas.

Sandpoint gets a lot more precip and is a lot greener. It still feels like the PNW there. Bigger snowstorms, too. 

There are no Elk here, but there are deer. I haven't seen one here, but a neighbour said ever since they lost their dog, a deer was coming by and eating their vegetables.

Never seen a deer there??? Wow. I can walk outside at almost any time of the day and see at least 2 or 3 deer along the road or in our yard. They are so domesticated that in chasing them away I can almost walk right up to them and swat them on the nose. They just stand there and look at you. :)

Never seen a deer there??? Wow. I can walk outside at almost any time of the day and see at leaat 2 or 3 deer along the road or in our yard. They are so domesticated that in chasing them away I can almost walk right up to them and swat them on the nose. They just stand there and look at you. :)

I have not seen a deer IMBY. I have seen deer around in areas here. If I have seen one here, it's such a rare occurrence IMBY. It's more common for me to see Hare's running around looking for vegetation to eat.

Edit: Also don't get me started on Black bears. They're too common around here. So common my dog attacked one this summer while I was walking in my back yard. He got wounded from the bears paw.

Sandpoint gets a lot more precip and is a lot greener. It still feels like the PNW there. Bigger snowstorms, too. 

Thanks, Andrew.

Yeah, I guess if you want a place with more precip Sandpoint wins out. But the scenery and outdoor activities available right in you backyard in Kalispell are tough to beat.

Also, though Sandpoint gets bigger snowstorms, they also get more dud winters than Kalispell.

I have not seen a deer IMBY. I have seen deer around in areas here. If I have seen one here, it's such a rare occurrence IMBY. It's more common for me to see Hare's running around looking for vegetation to eat.

Edit: Also don't get me started on Black bears. They're too common around here. So common my dog attacked one this summer while I was walking in my back yard. He got wounded from the bears paw.

The deer are rampant around my parent's neighborhood in Bellingham.    They don't even move out of your way when driving... you can sit there honking your horn and they just continue to slowly walk down the middle of the road.

The deer are rampant around my parent's neighborhood in Bellingham.    They don't even move out of your way when driving... you can sit there honking your horn and they just continue to slowly walk down the middle of the road.

You could get a Deer nudger on the front of your car. :D Just drive up to one verrry slowly, and nudge it at 2 km/hour until it walks away. It would probably move before you lined it up with your car though. I'm not saying to run it over, just nudge it away.

I've received 2.75 inches of rain today.

I was supposed to be in the bullseye of heavy rain here tonight... but I am actually inside the rain shadow most of the time and its very windy.

Earlier runs of the WRF showed 5+ inches at my location through tomorrow afternoon but the heavy rain looks to end late tomorrow morning now and I am only at .60 for the entire event so far.    

I think the WRF over-estimated precip again.

Thanks, Andrew.

Yeah, I guess if you want a place with more precip Sandpoint wins out. But the scenery and outdoor activities available right in you backyard in Kalispell are tough to beat.

Also, though Sandpoint gets bigger snowstorms, they also get more dud winters than Kalispell.

I assume his reasoning is similar to mine. Sandpoint is right next to a giant lake and ski resort, so I think it has plenty of recreation opportunities. And they don't really get "dud" winters, unless you consider 30" of snow with tons of cold days a dud, which I don't. 

Guest Winterdog

I haven't looked recently but a few years ago the price of land anywhere around Missoula was very high and even higher up towards Kalispell.  Even over around Thompson Falls prices were ridiculous and way higher than eastern Washington.  The locals were telling me it was because all the high rollers from California were moving up there. 

I assume his reasoning is similar to mine. Sandpoint is right next to a giant lake and ski resort, so I think it has plenty of recreation opportunities. And they don't really get "dud" winters, unless you consider 30" of snow with tons of cold days a dud, which I don't. 

Dud is a relative term, of course, but since 1980 Sandpoint has seen 7 winters with less than 30" snow. Kalispell has seen 2.

Also, Kalispell's snow depth numbers on WRCC are totally screwed up and I would suspect their average snow depth in the winter is equal to or even less than Sandpoint's.

They average 10" less snow but are 4 degrees colder in the winter - they average highs below freezing, while Sandpoint averages above. That would logically indicate higher average snow depth.

I haven't looked recently but a few years ago the price of land anywhere around Missoula was very high and even higher up towards Kalispell.  Even over around Thompson Falls prices were ridiculous and way higher than eastern Washington.  The locals were telling me it was because all the high rollers from California were moving up there. 

Yeah, I'd guess that the case for most scenic areas of northern ID/western MT.

They average 10" less snow but are 4 degrees colder in the winter - they average highs below freezing, while Sandpoint averages above. That would logically indicate higher average snow depth.

The Kalispell airport's snow numbers on WRCC are way wrong. Nearby Creston presents a more accurate picture for the Flathead Valley

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt2104

The old Kalispell station

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt4563

also shows a lower snow depth average. 6" versus 9" in January. It is what it is. Sandpoint's winters are better for snow.

Never seen a deer there??? Wow. I can walk outside at almost any time of the day and see at least 2 or 3 deer along the road or in our yard. They are so domesticated that in chasing them away I can almost walk right up to them and swat them on the nose. They just stand there and look at you. :)

Same here, deer by the dozens in our subdivision. They are actually overpopulating the island, they eat everything green. Some people would like to see their population controlled. We also had a resident black bear around here last summer. They were trying to trap it but don't think they ever did, so it will likely be back come spring. Also lots of cougar nearby, but they only get seen on a rare occasion.

I was supposed to be in the bullseye of heavy rain here tonight... but I am actually inside the rain shadow most of the time and its very windy.

Earlier runs of the WRF showed 5+ inches at my location through tomorrow afternoon but the heavy rain looks to end late tomorrow morning now and I am only at .60 for the entire event so far.    

I think the WRF over-estimated precip again.

Same here, very windy but just some light drizzle.

Very impressive rain event in SW WA tonight. Hoquiam is working on one of their wettest days on record, over 4 inches there so far today.

And just 0.21" at BFI.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

6.09" in the last 8 hours at Black Knob along the SW side of the Olympics. Pretty insane.

10923584_707376976036614_734639161994275

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Not really familiar with Leadville (except for the fact they get really cold), but there is certainly a lot of late spring/summer convection in CO. Though of course the really big storms tend to form out on the plains.

True, but the lack of wind shear/kinematic dynamics prevents the storms reaching severe criteria, as you said. I love big storms.

-

Pretty much "zero" conjecture, or either much even in the way of more simple impressions posted above more recently whether model-connected or otherwise where looking ahead, my own more general thinking, would be that with colder air's looked at more over-all, both up or downstream more sluggish movementeven force of movementat this point, the models most likely won't start to show much of anything more interesting through until this force of movement begins to pickup again more, post the 9th.  

---