January 2015 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

Skagit Weather

What is causing this?

It's cyclical. I heard somewhere the Eastern half of the country has actually been colder during the past 40 years than it was during the previous 40. Very opposite from what we have experienced.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

And for Battle Ground in parentheses...

I had 22 days at or above 90 which was impressive.

It was also one of my least cloudy years at 195 days...that sounds pathetic.

2014 Weather Summary for lowly Bay View, WA (Station records starting January 2008):

Temperature:

Avg: 52.3

Avg Max: 60.2 (63.8)

Avg Min: 44.5 (43.6)

Max: 84.6 (100)

Min: 19.1 (18.4)

Max-Min: 61.9 (64.8)

Min-Max: 33.2 (21.8)

Subfreezing lows: 36 (53)

Subfreezing Highs: 0 (4)

Lows below 20: 4

Highs above 80: 14

Precipitation:

Total: 43.97" (wettest year by almost 3") (50.58")

Wettest Day: 1.39" (2.08")

Days over 1": 5 (6)

Days of Precipitation: 150 (189)

Total Snow: 3.2" (9.23")

Snow Days: 4 (8)

Other:

Highest Wind Gust: 35mph (53)

Avg Wind Speed: 0.9mph

Days of Thunder: 3 (13)

Other than the lack of snow and lack of thunderstorms up here, it was a pretty outstanding year.

The mountainous terrain out west actually forces a semi permanent Eastern U.S. trough (conservation of angular momentum) in the absolute height fields. The only reason parts of the West are "colder" in the means is due to elevation/topography.

But I still doubt the East scores dozens of Arctic blasts for every one that the West does.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You're probably right we lose no matter what in January. I just want spring to be here.

Only 58 days to go. Not bad!

I take it everyone has been given the snow wizard seal of approval on negativity again? Getting tough once again to keep up with how we should pacify you.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Looks like there are a few extremely weak radar echoes over Whatcom county. Not sure if anything is falling from the sky, but interesting to see. Temp here after getting down to 28 is now up to 33.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I'm back!

Looks like another dull winter overall. I've amassed an astounding 0.85" of snow so far this season in Klamath Falls. I doubt I come close to half the normal when Spring comes.

An overview of 2014....

It had an interesting summer. July was the hottest on record. The summer probably ranked 3 or 4 hottest.

July had an average temperature of 90.6 degrees. My indoor temp at one point was 87 degrees.

Thunderstorms were another highlight. This was one of the most active ones in about 20+ years. The record # of t'storm days here is 25 and that was 1990. I had 21 t'storm days in 2014. I average around 11-12. I also came rather close to a couple severe cells in the 1st week of August. Pretty exciting.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It'll turn around eventually. Definitely want to see the Hadley Cells retract in the long run..that's a big reason for your struggles.

How far north in latitude have the Hadley Cells been averaging lately? I am assuming that this is also a primary reason why the drought has been so severe over California during the last 2-3 years, forcing a subtropical ridge to remain further north than its climatological average during the winter months.

I think you overstate how much more favorably positioned the Eastern US is. Much of the Western US is just as cold as the Eastern US. The Western lowlands are only a tiny fraction of the West. In recent years the West has certainly not had as many anomalously cold winters as the East though.

Sure, compare the I-5 corridor with the I-95 corridor...both are similarly distanced from their respective coasts. You can look at mean temp of locations with similar latitude, mean snowfall, standard deviation of temperature parameters (you'll get a higher st dev for east coast vs west coast, indicative of the more continental source region for their airmasses in winter).

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

The mountainous terrain out west actually forces a semi permanent Eastern U.S. trough (conservation of angular momentum) in the absolute height fields. The only reason parts of the West are "colder" in the means is due to elevation/topography

True.

You can see it plainly on 500 mb climatology charts, not to mention 850 mb temp climatology for similar elevation cities along the I-5 corridor versus I-95 corridor as well.

The mean temp of Boston in January isn't approached until midway up the SE Alaska coast. British colonists were perplexed why 38N in Virginia was colder than 55N in England.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

So we have the 00Z runs from the GFS, GEM, and ECMWF showing no signs at of anything.  

Here is the favored ECMWF (which handled the current pattern very well) at 240 hours:

http://www.proxigee.com/Geopotential3250032hPa32and32Temperature32at3285032hPa_North32America_240.gif

.. I disagree with your parenthetical inserted here above.

I've followed the performance or this model where looking at this set of main parameters, for quite while, at out to 7 days or 168 hours .

And although in certain respects, where looked at more generally and at main pattern evolution at the levels that you've pointed to here above, it's done "fairly well", perhaps, .. where looking at what I've been for the past 12 or so days where considering its performance, it appears to have missed some of the more basic propensities where looking at both broader, along together with more primary colder air mass both movement together with distributionboth more latitudinal and more longitudinal.  / If appearing to catch on to to digest each of these propensities, more gradually, certainly.

Check the "Gif loop" sequence that I've generated accessible here just below, set against what I'd generated if more general projection wise main colder air mass focused back on the 19th of December, accessible via the link following. Basically, a toggle back and forth type comparison of what had been projected, depicted by the model at 7 days out, as set against what's actually transpired with looking at its same main 0hr initialization daily for whatever date. *

141221-1501010 12z 850-500hPa t+0hr 168vt.gif

(The sequence loads slower than its actual running speed once loaded.)

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/735-early-winter-2014-15-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=53159

* .. The main more latitudinal element of what I'd suggested as having been likely at the time, being fairly straight-forward, for clarity (or more simple appreciation) sake, here following where regarding what I'd suggested projected more longitudinally focused, put more essentially, .... colder air's more stepped up pace more longitudinally east previous to the 21st of Dec., being set to slow daily, steadily more through the 1st of Jan. or so.

---

(.. cross-reference.)

.. Just dropping this in here to the "January" mix.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/609-approaching-pattern-discussion/?p=58897  (post no. 43)

With an attachment, that until the models pick up on and start digesting the more latitudinal component of what I've suggested as being likely, in my view all bets more negative, are off.

Richard, you have been right early out before when no one noticed a pattern coming,,,,,You do think some cold is coming down don't you.  Say after the 4th or so.  What I can't understand, and please feel free to call me dense, but the eastern movement I can't figure out.  Will the cold penetrate much east of the Rockies, do you think?

Thanks and sorry.  I am getting better at reading your posts, I just can't understand what you see happening completely.

It is not about the lack of cold --- WE WANT SNOW!!!!  Capiche?! :)   NOW... let me make it simple ... it would be like having all of our 75 to 85 degree days be 100% cloudy with heavy rain the entire time year after year. I am not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. It is not whining, it is preference. Yes, I enjoy the cold but it seems wasted year after year when we just can't get substantial snow. I may be reading between the lines but I do not think anyone is complaining about the cold or lack of it. 

It's interesting for just a short period of time without snow.  For those of us that love snow, it's akin to being a kid again.  It's just that fun with snow, and just that boring without.  Oh, and frustrating..

thIUC40J8H.jpg

I just don't buy the argument that cold is "wasted" if it doesn't snow. Cold airmasses are impressive in their own right. Snow is fickle. Ephemeral. Too many stars need to align for snow to happen in Portland or Seattle. So if it doesn't happen, that shouldn't be cause for any grief. Not if you're looking at it rationally anyway...which I think may be the real issue with a lot of people.

That's just it though!  It's not about rationality.  Who would rationally ask for weather that requires more work all the way around. Shoveling, scraping, bundling up, wet floors from the dogs, higher heat costs, accidents, it goes on.  Snow is work, yet we wish for it.  Incessantly.  Where is any of this rational? 

Now, I want some snow.  Gonna have to take a drive maybe....

After Mondays system clears, the first half of January is looking like it could be a total snoozefest on the GFS.  Mild too.

Ok, I have a question here.  Why do you believe this?  There is no long consistency and quite honestly cold sneaks up on us a lot of the time.  We usually don't know till a couple of days out. Why are bad patterns trusted and good one's scorned for being false?  I don't think we know that much yet.  I think we are getting there, but weather is still a mystery to most of us.  Pessimism will keep you from being disappointed though.  However, I am keeping my hopes alive.  We have to get some snowy weather eventually, and I don't remember this forum feeling like a cold wave and snow can be seen out at two weeks in past years.  It seems that way now.  I think too many people are trusting the models to be right.

Just my thoughts. 

Edit:  Not talking about Arctic blasts,  We  used to have plenty of quickly generated short snow events.  I guess I just don't believe those are gone for good.

Richard, ..... You .. think some cold is coming down ... after the 4th or so.  What I can't understand .. [is] the [more longitudinal]  eastern movement. ... Will the cold penetrate much east of the Rockies, do you think?  Thanks.

Right. Or at least I think I've understood your question. .. And if more immediately, more from later on the 3rd. ...

First, as the more latitudinal element of colder air's movement and distribution is fairly straight-forward, ... more basically, I've found, just either whether moving and spreading progressively more southward, or otherwise, in general regression mode (or receding back more northward) following whatever more general "expansion" southin each case, generally daily more, .. broader cold's movement more longitudinal, of course more predominately east, is .. I've found, a bit more variable. Which is to say, its pace and progress changes a bit more often. 

And so with this idea, or these ideas in mind, I have a bit more difficult time where working to convey what I expect more longitudinally colder air movement wise, with whatever of my projections; .. making what you've suggested above more initially, understandable. 

Put in a clearer form more general here following from my most recent projection, where looking at its more longitudinal element, I've projected colder air's ..... quicker movement more eastward daily from about "now" through the 5th or 6th. This with its then being set to slow daily, from then through to the 11th of January.

This with then, otherwise, where considering your main east of the Rockies question, with my saying "yes", more basically, more initially here, .. with looking at the idea (general advent.) of an increasingly more meridional ("north/south", or here more, more "troughy".) type, patterning setup, with cold's more longitudinal slowing, .. and, at the same time, [just] where main and more primary cold is sitting at this point, i.e. more north, within its main source regions and areas through higher latitudes, .. the main idea where considering your question, is "just how far, east". 

To check the idea more yourself, check main and more primary cold's position (kinetic.) with following these main resources accessible, following, .... with (again.) at the same time looking at what I've projected. @

The main upper-air levels states changing, depicted, more hemispheric: .. at 850mb, actual "temperature", 500mb pressure height, if only more indicative of temperature at this level, and the 300mb pressure height, also more representative, with "Jet maximums" shown clearly, and so strongest pressure/s (colder air movement) more horizontal.

http://weather.unisys.com/upper air/ua hem.php?plot=n8&inv=0&t=cur

And then, main "Surface Temperature", depicted as "contours", more following here. 

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc con.php?image=na&inv=0&t=cur

---

Ok, I have a question here. Why do you believe this? There is no long consistency and quite honestly cold sneaks up on us a lot of the time. We usually don't know till a couple of days out. Why are bad patterns trusted and good one's scorned for being false? I don't think we know that much yet. I think we are getting there, but weather is still a mystery to most of us. Pessimism will keep you from being disappointed though. However, I am keeping my hopes alive. We have to get some snowy weather eventually, and I don't remember this forum feeling like a cold wave and snow can be seen out at two weeks in past years. It seems that way now. I think too many people are trusting the models to be right.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: Not talking about Arctic blasts, We used to have plenty of quickly generated short snow events. I guess I just don't believe those are gone for good.

All I was saying was what the gfs was showing at this time. The signs aren't really positive right now but I guess we can't rule out some type of marginal quick hitting event. I really had faith that January was going to be much kinder to us.

Tuesday/Wednesday:

Thursday:

I have a unique and novel idea, why don't you PM Jim posts like this and stick to posts about how the models are looking on the main page?

Currently 30 degrees and cloudy here.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I have a unique and novel idea, why don't you PM Jim posts like this and stick to posts about how the models are looking on the main page?

Currently 30 degrees and cloudy here.

Good idea.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Temp 36 here while it is 40 in Bellingham with a southerly wind. Does not look like up here any of the precipitation will be frozen today.

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

Temp 36 here while it is 40 in Bellingham with a southerly wind. Does not look like up here any of the precipitation will be frozen today.

Wow that's warm, still frozen ground and 30 here!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Meanwhile 24 at SLE

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Of course with dew point just below freezing I can always hope. :wub:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/2015010212/images_d3/ww_snow3.12.0000.gif

Snowfall Totals

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/2015010212/images_d3/ww_snow3.12.0000.gif

Interesting... does not feel like snow but maybe if precip is heavy enough.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sunday is also looking more snowy on the GFS. I wouldn't be surprised if the same areas that saw snow last February get snow again this time with some low level cold leaking out of the Fraser gap.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/2015010212/images_d3/wa_snow24.60.0000.gif

Snowfall Totals

Well I have warmed to 33 now but my DP is only at 23 and skies have really darkened over the last half hour so we shall see.

Scott Sistek just put up his year in review. Not quite as good as some of the others, but interesting nevertheless.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/2014-weather-review-for-Seattle-Rain-Warmth-Sounds-like-a-broken-record--287132471.html

Snowfall Totals

Oh, and jumping around a little bit here, but the new NWAC report for the mountains came out yesterday. No surprise that they are still only about 40-60% of normal.

http://data.nwac.us/CLISNO/CLISNO.TXT

Snowfall Totals

Sleeting here now.

• Like 1

Snowfall Totals

Saving the Best for Latest...

Today's sunrise was the latest of the entire year.  Complete with the shadow of Mt. Hood, this one was amazing.

While it's easier to get up later, they are often much colder obviously than summer sunrises.  

Typically winter sunrises are more colorful with an abundance of high clouds.http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Winter-20142015/i-Q652k8H/0/L/43.%20G%20Mt.%20Hood%20Sunrise%20Shadow%20Wide-L.jpghttp://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Winter-20142015/i-MRxWD8D/0/L/18.%20G%20Mt.%20Hood%20Sunrise%20Close-L.jpg

• Like 6

Saving the Best for Latest...

Today's sunrise was the latest of the entire year.  Complete with the shadow of Mt. Hood, this one was amazing.

While it's easier to get up later, they are often much colder obviously than summer sunrises.  

Typically winter sunrises are more colorful with an abundance of high clouds.

Beautiful!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

All I was saying was what the gfs was showing at this time. The signs aren't really positive right now but I guess we can't rule out some type of marginal quick hitting event. I really had faith that January was going to be much kinder to us.

It should have been. The ball was totally in our court. We'll probably have one more window of opportunity this winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It should have been. The ball was totally in our court. We'll probably have one more window of opportunity this winter.

So we have your approval to be realistic again?    :lol:

Now its just plain rain. Once again a few degrees too warm, but at least I have now seen some frozen precip.

Snowfall Totals

Looks like we're going to get messy up here.

4kmsnow.gif

3:08 AM PST Friday 02 January 2015
Winter storm watch in effect for:

• Inland Vancouver Island

The first major winter storm of 2015 will beget a messy meteorological medley on the BC Coast Saturday.

The remnants of the the Arctic air that brought a cold, sunny and memorable end to 2014 will linger along the coast this weekend. On Saturday, a strengthening high pressure system over Yukon will deepen the Arctic air in northern BC, then shove another dose of the frigid air south and west through the BC Interior.

By Saturday morning, after summiting the coastal passes, and forced downhill and seaward by gravity, dense and bone-chilling Arctic air will be pouring out the inlets and valleys of the North Coast. Simultaneously, a Pacific warm front packing plenty of moisture, a warm layer of air aloft and correspondingly high freezing levels, will slowly smother the North Coast, blanketing the South Coast Saturday night.

The combination of outgoing Arctic air at low elevations and incoming Pacific air at higher elevations, will create a montage of rapidly changing winter conditions that will eventually have planners, road crews, and the public from Stewart to Hope scrambling to avoid, mitigate and otherwise work around the weather.

The first few flakes will fly Saturday on the North and Central Coasts. Strong and drying outflowing air will delay significant accumulations of snow until Sunday when the force of incoming warm wet Pacific air overwhelms the dry.

On the South Coast, the winter charm will begin Saturday night. Near the coastline, snow or mixed rain and snow will develop late in the evening. The precipitation will spread inland where colder air will sustain snow through the night. Eventually the warmer air will spread inland and that warm layer of air aloft will create freezing rain where sub-freezing air remains trapped in the South Coast Valleys and inlets. In Vancouver and Abbotsford, accumulations will likely only occur at higher elevations prior to a rapid change-over to rain.

As more Pacific air floods onto the coast Sunday, snowfalls will be heavy in some inland regions and freezing rain will create locally treacherous travel conditions. A steady flow of warm moist air will persist through the early part of the week.

Stay tuned for updates and a warning or two. It's going to be a busy few days at the weather office and everyone will need to pay attention.

Winter Storm Watches are issued when multiple types of severe winter weather are expected to occur together.

It does appear the East Puget Sound lowlands could see a brief period of snow Sunday morning. We will have light easterly breezes at the time and decently cool 925mb temps. The winds appear to be very light so it shouldn't kill the moisture.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9